ALO The Pan Am - The tube rolling thread
Sep 23, 2014 at 3:39 PM Post #46 of 144
This is of course when I have teh money for them, because right now unless they are 20 dollars I do not

Sep 23, 2014 at 3:48 PM Post #47 of 144
I have a lot tubes. Here a little list.

General Electric GE 5654
Siemens EF 95
Siemens 6AK5W
AEG 6AK5W
Voskhods 6AK5W
RCA 5654
Sylvania CHS-6AK5 Navy 1945 and 1953
Mullard 5654

And my favorites are Sylvania (not military production) from 1966

Sep 25, 2014 at 7:34 AM Post #49 of 144
I just received Telefunken tubes and testing them out right now.

I also have Mullards, Voskhods and Sylvanias. If I were to say few words about how these compare it would be:
Mullards = powerful bass and metallic mids, superb detail, good response to EQ
Voskhods = very pleasant listening, very strong bass, recessed mids, poor detail, poor response to EQ,
Sylvania = clinical, very well controlled bass, superb mids, superb treble, superb detail, great response to EQ.

Telefunken = ???

So far I find them quite detailed, tough less than Sylvania, mids are quite great, but not as present as Sylvanias, bass sounds good, however it doesn't respond to EQ as well as Sylvania. Treble are there, but not as strong as Sylvania.

Don't know. I'll give them chance, but I can see me going back to Sylvania very soon :p

Sep 27, 2014 at 10:40 PM Post #50 of 144
I just received Telefunken tubes and testing them out right now.

I also have Mullards, Voskhods and Sylvanias. If I were to say few words about how these compare it would be:
Mullards = powerful bass and metallic mids, superb detail, good response to EQ
Voskhods = very pleasant listening, very strong bass, recessed mids, poor detail, poor response to EQ,
Sylvania = clinical, very well controlled bass, superb mids, superb treble, superb detail, great response to EQ.

Telefunken = ???

So far I find them quite detailed, tough less than Sylvania, mids are quite great, but not as present as Sylvanias, bass sounds good, however it doesn't respond to EQ as well as Sylvania. Treble are there, but not as strong as Sylvania.

Don't know. I'll give them chance, but I can see me going back to Sylvania very soon :p

Which Sylvania do you recommend and certain year or place you would buy them that ships in the US

Sep 27, 2014 at 10:50 PM Post #51 of 144
I'm sure you guys knew about the French NOS Radiotechnique (RTC) tube upgrade ALO offered (don't know if they have any of the tubes left)
but it changed the whole Pan Am experience for me!

I wrote about it in Headphone Guru HERE

I was using the Siemens tubes beforehand (SP??)

Sep 28, 2014 at 2:35 AM Post #52 of 144

To me compared to Mullards I find them more detailed ???

Sep 28, 2014 at 3:03 AM Post #53 of 144
I love the Voskhods for the Lcd 2 but now I'm looking for some tubes for the HD 800, an idea ??

Sep 28, 2014 at 3:15 AM Post #54 of 144
I'm sure you guys knew about the French [COLOR=444444]NOS Radiotechnique (RTC)[/COLOR] tube upgrade ALO offered (don't know if they have any of the tubes left)

I see 2 kinds of RTC tubes, green or white printed ??
The green ones are almost 2x the price

Sep 28, 2014 at 5:14 AM Post #55 of 144
  I'm sure you guys knew about the French NOS Radiotechnique (RTC) tube upgrade ALO offered (don't know if they have any of the tubes left)

I actually bought the Pan Am with RTC tubes based on your review Mike. And the sound together with LCD-2 is just spectacular. I finally got a little top-end sparkle I was missing from other amps and the organic midrange is just crazy good. Thanks a lot!

And my RTC tubes are white and from ALO btw.

Sep 28, 2014 at 11:29 PM Post #56 of 144

Yeah I ordered those when I changed from stock, very clean and detail especially up top. I am actually hoping to try an LCD2 not sure which version of tat one to opt for to demo. I also have tried the Go1000 as a DAC with the PanAm and it is even more detialed than before, granted DACs do not make that much of a difference in a certain range imo. Both the PanAm and GO1000 are my favorite all in one units right now. Also pairing the Go1000 with the ZMF X VIbro and the PanAM with the T70p gave me appreciation of these headphones. 

Sep 29, 2014 at 1:09 AM Post #57 of 144
  Yeah I ordered those when I changed from stock, very clean and detail especially up top. I am actually hoping to try an LCD2 not sure which version of tat one to opt for to demo. I also have tried the Go1000 as a DAC with the PanAm and it is even more detialed than before, granted DACs do not make that much of a difference in a certain range imo. Both the PanAm and GO1000 are my favorite all in one units right now. Also pairing the Go1000 with the ZMF X VIbro and the PanAM with the T70p gave me appreciation of these headphones. 

I just lent my Pan Am to a dear friend tonight. He was SO excited to hear a proper personal audio rig!! He's just gettin' into the hobby - and bought my Mad Dogs, but I only lent him a damn lil' NuForce MusicPump Hphone amp!! I told him he hadn't even heard the MrSpeakers potential!

There's nothin' quite like seeing the look on a persons face when they experience high fidelity for the very first time, especially through headphones - as headphones and earphones have become a part of every-day life for consumers that are as far away from high-performance personal audio as they are high-end audio!!

Vince (my buddy) within 2 minutes of hearing his Mad Dogs bein' drivin' by the Pan Am, took the cans off and said:
"Holy sh__, I've never heard detail like this in my life - it's like listening to my dads big stereo system back when I was a kid!"

That's the GOLDEN RESPONSE!! 
biggrin.gif

Now he wants a Pan Am!
I also brought over the Passport battery and carrying case for him - as he said he'd like to use it on his next camping trip with his kid.
I told him how I used to go for rides on Mulholland Drive in LA and stop at great Vista points, w/ my Pan Am secured in the back of my John Cooperworks Mini - and I would watch the sun come down - listening to my Audeze LCD-3s and ALO Pan Am!!

I LOVE that it's portable - a feature I think most fellow audio journos missed out on when they covered the product!!

Sep 29, 2014 at 9:12 AM Post #58 of 144
  I just lent my Pan Am to a dear friend tonight. He was SO excited to hear a proper personal audio rig!! He's just gettin' into the hobby - and bought my Mad Dogs, but I only lent him a damn lil' NuForce MusicPump Hphone amp!! I told him he hadn't even heard the MrSpeakers potential!

There's nothin' quite like seeing the look on a persons face when they experience high fidelity for the very first time, especially through headphones - as headphones and earphones have become a part of every-day life for consumers that are as far away from high-performance personal audio as they are high-end audio!!

Vince (my buddy) within 2 minutes of hearing his Mad Dogs bein' drivin' by the Pan Am, took the cans off and said:
"Holy sh__, I've never heard detail like this in my life - it's like listening to my dads big stereo system back when I was a kid!"

That's the GOLDEN RESPONSE!! 
biggrin.gif

Now he wants a Pan Am!
I also brought over the Passport battery and carrying case for him - as he said he'd like to use it on his next camping trip with his kid.
I told him how I used to go for rides on Mulholland Drive in LA and stop at great Vista points, w/ my Pan Am secured in the back of my John Cooperworks Mini - and I would watch the sun come down - listening to my Audeze LCD-3s and ALO Pan Am!!

I LOVE that it's portable - a feature I think most fellow audio journos missed out on when they covered the product!!

Yeah that is such an awesome to experience let alone witness, when someone listens to a higher quality headphone from a good amp for the first time. I remember myself going up the chain, starting with a 50 dollar headphone then getting some DT990s, and so on I am actually selling a lot of my stuff and  need an open headphone recommendation, I listen to everything from indie, alternative, rock(early to late 90s a lot of it), hip hop, classical, and some soundtrack pieces, folk, etc. I currently am using HD600s and I just want something with a bit more detail resolution etc. My source is Media monkey/foobar 96khz tracks via Geekout1000/PanAm. 

Also wanted to ask where the hell you got that carrying case, and though I do not have the passport yet, I do own the Gateway.

Sep 29, 2014 at 12:18 PM Post #59 of 144
For my LCD2s in order of preference:
1.  Russian gold grid Voskhods
Where the rest of my tubes didn't quite deliver a signature tube sound, these tubes provide it in spades.  Cozy luscious mids, natural highs,` sufficient amounts of bass, making for a lovely analog sound - they're the perfect complement to the LCD2s.  If Alo Audio really did design the Pan Am for the LCD2s, these should have been the stock tubes.  Tube rolling is over for me.

2.  English Mullards
The best bass control out of the bunch, with tempered highs and well-heeled mids, I thought these would be my stay-in tubes but I was just blown away by the Voskhods.  

3.  French RTC
Lovely soundstaging and highs - minute details come to the fore without being fatiguing.  Mids and bass are a bit recessed.

4.  Chinese defaults
I was surprised by how bright they were out of the box.  Burn-in reigned that in a little bit but they weren't quite my cup of tea.  

Sep 29, 2014 at 2:33 PM Post #60 of 144
How do  you feel about the clamping force and weight of the LCD 2 ? I am interested in demoing one with my PanAm, tried contacting a coouple place to pay for the shipping to demo and or sample one. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back