ALO The Pan Am - The tube rolling thread
May 27, 2014 at 3:55 PM Post #16 of 144
I'm still waiting to the ordered Voshod tubes but I think they will have a hard fight with my AEG 5654 [Telefunken]. I have the impression, this tubes are the Holy Grail.

May 31, 2014 at 2:07 AM Post #17 of 144
Finally found a use for the dreadful Siemens tubes, they pair beautifully with bass heavy phones :D 

Wider soundstage, airier highs, and less boomy bass but still with significant impact! I do wish for a little more dynamism and an improved PRaT...

May 31, 2014 at 9:42 AM Post #18 of 144
  Finally found a use for the dreadful Siemens tubes, they pair beautifully with bass heavy phones :D 

Wider soundstage, airier highs, and less boomy bass but still with significant impact! I do wish for a little more dynamism and an improved PRaT...

I agree with this. With the LCD 2 rev3, the siemens is magnificent but with headphones like ad2kx which has light bass, it sounds boring :)

May 31, 2014 at 9:47 AM Post #19 of 144
BTW I got the RTC tube from alo audio and currently burning it. I think it sounds good out of the box. It has a good treble extension, dynamics and bass. It is bassier than siemens but less airy. Compared to the mullards, mullards are more warmer and dark sounding while RTC has more clarity and not so warm sound but still has a touch of warmth on it. Both of them have good dynamics better than the Simens tube.

Jun 4, 2014 at 7:41 AM Post #20 of 144
Does tube really die easily? One of the siemens wont glow anymore and its not even 6 months old! :frowning2:

Jun 9, 2014 at 1:33 PM Post #21 of 144
My MATCHED PAIR tubes VOSKHOD Gold Grid Year 1981 arrived last saturday. I'm very impressed. Great sound. Much more better than expected. Now are my AEG [Telefunken build 1971 in Ulm] only the second choise. Also good but the russian tubes are better. They are more dynamic and powerful in the highs. The darkness in the lows is the same like the AEG tubes.

The first Impression of sounding a little bit like a trumpet has disappeared after 20 hours burning in.

So far highly recommended. If you can get such tubes, give them a try.

Jun 12, 2014 at 3:32 AM Post #22 of 144
My MATCHED PAIR tubes VOSKHOD Gold Grid Year 1981 arrived last saturday. I'm very impressed. Great sound. Much more better than expected. Now are my AEG [Telefunken build 1971 in Ulm] only the second choise. Also good but the russian tubes are better. They are more dynamic and powerful in the highs. The darkness in the lows is the same like the AEG tubes.

The first Impression of sounding a little bit like a trumpet has disappeared after 20 hours burning in.

So far highly recommended. If you can get such tubes, give them a try.

between the two tubes, which has a fuller sound in the mids?

Jun 12, 2014 at 6:00 AM Post #23 of 144
The russian VOSKHOD tubes are equal or better in all areas. But the dynamics in the heights is most striking.

Jun 12, 2014 at 3:05 PM Post #24 of 144
  between the two tubes, which has a fuller sound in the mids?

I find both the Telefunkens and the Voskhods to be superb.  They are the best tubes I've yet heard in the Pan Am, and I score them equally - 9.5/10 - in my personal rating system.  I would probably lean toward the Telefunken for richer mids and the Voskhods for brilliant highs.

Jun 12, 2014 at 3:11 PM Post #25 of 144

I find both the Telefunkens and the Voskhods to be superb.  They are the best tubes I've yet heard in the Pan Am, and I score them equally - 9.5/10 - in my personal rating system.  I would probably lean toward the Telefunken for richer mids and the Voskhods for brilliant highs.

I should qualify this - the Voskhods are the 6ZH1P-EV gold-platinum grids from tubemuseum.   The regular Russian 6J1P military tubes don't rate as highly with me - they tend to overemphasize the high frequencies.

Jun 12, 2014 at 4:46 PM Post #26 of 144
I bought the tubes here: http://www.ebay.de/itm/131137147042

Jun 13, 2014 at 6:34 AM Post #27 of 144
I think the telenfunken tubes are hard to find nowadays. Anyone can tell me where can I get it? :) 

Jun 13, 2014 at 9:11 AM Post #28 of 144
The Telefunken tubes are often new labeled e.g. as AEG, but at the button side they have a sign between the socket pins in the glas. It looks like a rhombus with a number in the middle.

My tubes are such ones. Originally produced in 1972 by Telefunken in Ulm.

I bought the last tubes from my seller in Germany. His stock is empty now and I have 3 pairs.

May be, there are a lot of other labels which are originally from Telefunken. You should not only search for Telefunken, you also can take the AEG tubes.

Jun 13, 2014 at 10:47 AM Post #29 of 144
  The Telefunken tubes are often new labeled e.g. as AEG, but at the button side they have a sign between the socket pins in the glas. It looks like a rhombus with a number in the middle.

My tubes are such ones. Originally produced in 1972 by Telefunken in Ulm.

I bought the last tubes from my seller in Germany. His stock is empty now and I have 3 pairs.

May be, there are a lot of other labels which are originally from Telefunken. You should not only search for Telefunken, you also can take the AEG tubes.

Thanks for the info but still no luck in ebay :frowning2: BTW anyone here tried tungsol tubes?

Jul 30, 2014 at 9:43 AM Post #30 of 144

Users who are viewing this thread

Back