ALO The Island USB DAC!
Dec 9, 2014 at 11:31 PM Post #31 of 78
I'm with you JamieCole - the Island is fantastic.....loving it with my Grado SR32is.......refined, great dynamics...detailed yet smooth and musical
(reminds me of classic British high end sound)....love the Island....it takes me away to an island of enjoyment!

Dec 27, 2014 at 10:22 PM Post #34 of 78
I am not using the balanced out, so I can't speak to it. The 'reviews' claim the balanced option offers far more power, control, and resolution. I'd take that with a grain of salt until you can hear it for yourself. If you snag an Island and give the balanced option a go, let us know what you think about it!

However, I can attest to how awesome the 3.5mm out sounds... :) 

Dec 29, 2014 at 3:25 PM Post #36 of 78
  Hi Jamie,

What DAC/Amp have you had before the ALO?

I currently own the Island and Meridian Explorer v 1.0. I've previously owned a v 1.0 and 1.2 Dragonfly as well as the JDS C5D. All of my cans and IEMs are very efficient and I've never had any reason to need more juice. I'd easily recommend the Island and C5D over any of the others. If you need something portable, the C5D is a logical choice. However, the Island has a much larger sound stage, more warmth, varying levels of power, and better control (to my ears anyway) than the C5D (not to mention the support of 24/192). I use IEMs as my roadies and can't really be bothered to fiddle with a portable amp/dac. So, the Island is the clear winner in my book. 

The Explorer's DAC sounds good, but I like the flavor of the Island more. Plus, the volume knob on the Island is awesome and a pleasure to use. I'd have a hard time going back to using shift+option and +/- again on my MacBook. Sometimes it's the simple things...

Dec 29, 2014 at 4:27 PM Post #37 of 78
Wow thanks for that input!

I currently have a Dragonfly v1.0 so I was looking to upgrade to v1.2 or the Meridian Explorer2.

How did the v1.2 compare to the Island? I've heard really good things about the v1.2.

Dec 29, 2014 at 5:20 PM Post #38 of 78
  Wow thanks for that input!

I currently have a Dragonfly v1.0 so I was looking to upgrade to v1.2 or the Meridian Explorer2.

How did the v1.2 compare to the Island? I've heard really good things about the v1.2.

To my ears the DF 1.2 wasn't as smooth as the Island. It was definitely an improvement over the v 1.0, but still somewhat fatiguing. Keep in mind that I'm rocking out to some Ultrasones which already have a fairly 'edgy' presentation. The Island has a much larger soundstage, control, power, and musical sound.

Let me put it to you this way... Between both DragonFly's, Explorer v. 1, and C5D (with no bass boost), picking apart the best/worst presentation of each device is somewhat difficult as the differences aren't all that great. The Explorer is certainly the more musical device of the three (four including both DF's). The C5D is a great portable rig with excellent bass boost options, yet it has the smallest soundstage. The DF has a more aggressive/punchy presentation which is also it's weakness during a long listening session. However, the Island was instantly my favorite when I plugged it in for the first time. It has a character and sound that the others don't have. As it's been said in the forum before, I'm surprised that it hasn't received more praise. 

All that being said, I've read some really great things about the Explorer2. I would have no problem recommending the Explorer over the DF. I hope this helps. Any other Island owners want to chime in?

Dec 29, 2014 at 5:25 PM Post #39 of 78

To my ears the DF 1.2 wasn't as smooth as the Island. It was definitely an improvement over the v 1.0, but still somewhat fatiguing. Keep in mind that I'm rocking out to some Ultrasones which already have a fairly 'edgy' presentation. The Island has a much larger soundstage, control, power, and musical sound.

Let me put it to you this way... Between both DragonFly's, Explorer v. 1, and C5D (with no bass boost), picking apart the best/worst presentation of each device is somewhat difficult as the differences aren't all that great. The Explorer is certainly the more musical device of the three (four including both DF's). The C5D is a great portable rig with excellent bass boost options, yet it has the smallest soundstage. The DF has a more aggressive/punchy presentation which is also it's weakness during a long listening session. However, the Island was instantly my favorite when I plugged it in for the first time. It has a character and sound that the others don't have. As it's been said in the forum before, I'm surprised that it hasn't received more praise. 

All that being said, I've read some really great things about the Explorer2. I would have no problem recommending the Explorer over the DF. I hope this helps. Any other Island owners want to chime in?

I would rank them in this order:

Island>JDS C5D>/=Meridian Explorer>DF 1.2>DF 1.0.

I give bonus points to the C5D for the bass boost options, high/low gain setting, and digital potentiometer. On the merit of DAC sound/quality, the Explorer wins. 

Dec 30, 2014 at 2:33 AM Post #40 of 78

I would rank them in this order:

Island>JDS C5D>/=Meridian Explorer>DF 1.2>DF 1.0.

I give bonus points to the C5D for the bass boost options, high/low gain setting, and digital potentiometer. On the merit of DAC sound/quality, the Explorer wins. 

Man, that last sentence got me all confused again. Jusgt when I thought you'd say the Island hands down, you had to throw in the curveball. 
biggrin.gif

Do you think the Exp2 will be a step above the Island?

Dec 30, 2014 at 11:13 AM Post #41 of 78

Man, that last sentence got me all confused again. Jusgt when I thought you'd say the Island hands down, you had to throw in the curveball. 
biggrin.gif

Do you think the Exp2 will be a step above the Island?

Ah, I see what I did there... my bad. The line about the Explorer's DAC besting based on sound and quality was in reference to the C5D, not the Island. I still like the Island better. Don't get me wrong, the Island isn't perfect. I feel the mini-balanced out should be optional/configurable, it's not meant to be analytical (if that's your thing), not a neutral dac, etc. I've read a review about how the Island trades power for resolution (or something like that). Maybe? If so, it's not a big deal to me.

Regarding the Explorer2, not sure if it will be a step ahead or not. Meridian has integrated some interesting tech that the Island doesn't have (e.g. MQA and apodising filter), but whether or not it's all marking and/or if it sounds good will be up to you. Personally, I'm not interested in the Explorer2. The Island does all that I want, sounds fabulous, has that giant volume pot, and is a quality made device. Honestly, the only amp/dac setup < $500 I'd be interested in is the iDSD Micro. But, I'm not that interested... yet. 

Currently, I'm listening to Lana Del Rey's Blue Jeans track (lossless) via Audirvana on my Pro 900's... for the third time. The Island is on medium gain and the volume pot is between 2 and 3 o'clock. The sound I'm hearing is seductive, layered, deep, and her vocals (even on the 900's) are pure silk. Okay, Lana, one more time... 

beyersmile.png

Edit: s's and are's!

Dec 30, 2014 at 11:59 AM Post #42 of 78
LOL

Looks like you've sold me on the Island.

Power is not a concern for me as I looking to power the RE-600 IEM's so in a sense this might be a overkill. I'm going to end up getting the balanced version of the IEM's so the balanced output from the Island is another bonus.

Dec 30, 2014 at 1:21 PM Post #43 of 78
  LOL

Looks like you've sold me on the Island.

Power is not a concern for me as I looking to power the RE-600 IEM's so in a sense this might be a overkill. I'm going to end up getting the balanced version of the IEM's so the balanced output from the Island is another bonus.

If you get one, let us know what you think. ALO has a pretty rockin' return policy, but if you can find a gently used Island it's pretty easy to save a few bucks. 

Cheers!

Jan 1, 2015 at 3:04 AM Post #44 of 78
I love how the Island provide musical dynamic of my SD-2s on low gain. Have not try through balanced, still waiting the RSA kobiconn.

Jan 2, 2015 at 1:39 PM Post #45 of 78
  If you get one, let us know what you think. ALO has a pretty rockin' return policy, but if you can find a gently used Island it's pretty easy to save a few bucks. 

Cheers!

I love how the Island provide musical dynamic of my SD-2s on low gain. Have not try through balanced, still waiting the RSA kobiconn.

Hey guys,

Just bought a second hand Island so once I Have that and my RE600's in, I'll let you know how it fares.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back