ALO The Continental
Aug 10, 2011 at 10:46 PM Post #31 of 456
Any more impressions or photo's of this device? Ideally I'd like impressions of anyone who's used the Continental with the T1. I think my SR-71A and JDS cMoy aren't quite up to snuff on powering this behemoth. Despite being able to authoritively drive all my other headphones and IEM's.

Aug 12, 2011 at 2:10 AM Post #32 of 456
really hoping to get this amp and some lcd 2's

anyone tried the pair yet?

also how does the continental fair as a truly portable amp?  can it bounce around in a bag as you walk without creating tube vibration?

Aug 12, 2011 at 2:18 AM Post #33 of 456

Quote:
can it bounce around in a bag as you walk without creating tube vibration?

Doubtful.  I don't think you should running on a treadmill w/ the LCD2 anyway.  
tongue.gif

Aug 12, 2011 at 4:10 AM Post #34 of 456
No more information from the manufacturer?

I'm not sure what to make of these claims from a 6.25 mW amp.

Maybe one of the units will find its way into the hands of someone who will open it up, take some measurements and provide some real details.

Aug 12, 2011 at 2:35 PM Post #35 of 456

Quote:
really hoping to get this amp and some lcd 2's

anyone tried the pair yet?

also how does the continental fair as a truly portable amp?  can it bounce around in a bag as you walk without creating tube vibration?

I tried this, but not with lcd2. It isn't very portable IMO, it's heavy and bulky, i didn't notice any tube vibration though, but it gets hot so fast (can be used during winter time as a hand warmer)

as for the power, it power both my AT (esw10jpn and w10ltd) at 1/12th of its volume. (didn't even reach the first volume block of the amp)

for the sound, i think i got myself a defective unit or it hasn't burned-in well (i just receive it yesterday) or this amp isn't suitable with low impedance cans. It sounds horrible currently no bass at all (and i'm not a basshead), very small soundstage, unclear treble, and everything feels veiled ....

or maybe there's something that i need to do first before using this ....

(i'm not an engineering student !!! I need some manuals ..... what i do know is plug in input then plug the headphone to the output jack ....)
even running from DAC line out is a lot better....

i will try burning it today ....

Aug 12, 2011 at 6:40 PM Post #37 of 456
Quote:
No more information from the manufacturer?

I'm not sure what to make of these claims from a 6.25 mW amp.

Maybe one of the units will find its way into the hands of someone who will open it up, take some measurements and provide some real details.

That was into a 100K ohm load right?  I wouldn't know how well it scales, but it should put more power into lower impedances.  At least if that tube isn't supposed to be a line driver or something.

Aug 13, 2011 at 4:44 AM Post #38 of 456
That was into a 100K ohm load right?  I wouldn't know how well it scales, but it should put more power into lower impedances.  At least if that tube isn't supposed to be a line driver or something.

Perhaps it does.

But the specs are vague. It would be a good idea to clear those up.

From what little we have to go from, this seems like a tube buffer, not an amp.

Aug 13, 2011 at 11:24 AM Post #39 of 456
I find it really odd that nobody has filled in the specs in the only review thread for this new amp, not only for prospective customers, but it seems people who own the amp are unsure. i would say it just doesnt have the right outputz, or current for lowz phones by the sound of it, no amount of burning in will fix that unfortunately. sounds like ts got plenty of voltage swing though and that matches com quoted emails

i guess nobody at ALO has seen the thread? i think a lot of people are interested.

Aug 13, 2011 at 12:40 PM Post #40 of 456
my main concern with purchasing this amp is the frequency response spec... 40hz???  if it is only spec'd to go down to 40hz, thats gonna be a deal breaker right there for me.

otherwise I am very interested in this amp.

Aug 13, 2011 at 4:55 PM Post #41 of 456
In response to an earlier post I am using the Continental with the Audez'e LCD 2. I am enjoying the setup very much. I, also using the algorythm solo as well with the iPod classic with apple lossless files as a source.

For a reasonably portable setup this sounds amazing. It digs low enough for my liking and the slam factor is very good. As a relative newcomer to headphone listening I'm also enjoying the incredible detail and hearing things in my music I hadn't heard before. I replaced a full blown tube stereo (AudioNote kits) and vinyl rig as I'm retiring, moving and traveling and wanted something I could take with me.

I did have a pair of hd650s and there's no comparison between the LCD 2s and the sennheisers. There's just more of everything, more bass and the midranges are sweet and full. I love female vocals and the LCD 2s with the continental do them very well. Overall balance is terrific.

I am very happy with this combo as a traveling companion and while i may get mor eout of the audeze'e with a home headphone amp the continental/solo/audeze setup is very nice.

And no I haven't tried jogging or walking around with the continental, I got the rx2 amp for that along with some westone 4s also a nice combo. In a pinch the westones will also work with the continental but you're limited to first 2 positions on the volume dial with 2 being quite loud.

Aug 13, 2011 at 6:08 PM Post #43 of 456

Quote:
I find it really odd that nobody has filled in the specs in the only review thread for this new amp, not only for prospective customers, but it seems people who own the amp are unsure. i would say it just doesnt have the right outputz, or current for lowz phones by the sound of it, no amount of burning in will fix that unfortunately. sounds like ts got plenty of voltage swing though and that matches com quoted emails

If that's the case ... i guess i need to refund / sell it back ... sigh ...

Aug 14, 2011 at 4:51 AM Post #44 of 456
I cannot think of another amp where the specs and measurements were not offered to customers.

ALO needs to tell us what this amp does.

If they do not, it is just a matter of time before someone measures it and posts the results.

Aug 14, 2011 at 7:06 AM Post #45 of 456
I am curious:  Who is the designer behind these ALO amps? With TTVJ it's Peter, with Meier it's Jan, with RSA it's Ray, with Triad Audio it's Phil, etc. The ALO enigma doesn't lead to any specific conclusions but an enigma is still an... enigma. It would be nice to know. One reason that I mention it is that a named designer probably would release and stand by specs.

(We do know the committee that designed the CLAS which is a big reason that I bought it. Good people!)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back