ALO The Continental
Jul 17, 2011 at 11:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 456

travisg

500+ Head-Fier
I just ordered this amp and thought I would start a thread on it.

We are happy to bring you this LIMITED EDITION tube amp. The ALO audio Continental was designed to bring the highest aim of tube amplification - accurate and open musical presentation - to a portable, hand-held device. This aim has been achieved by paying close attention to the basic function of the device, while keeping the operation as simple and easy as possible. The Continental excels at driving all types of headphones especially large harder to drive headphones such as, the Sennheiser HD800, Beyerdynmic T1, AKG 701, 702, Audez'e LCD2 as well as 32 ohm headphones. The Continental will drive headphones to levels matching that of much larger a AC powered desktop amps. Because these Raytheon 6111 NOS tubes are rare and hard to find new in any numbers we will only make a short limited run of these amazing portable tube amplifiers. Comes with 100v - 240v-switching charger with LED indicator, 3 ALO silicone amp straps, box and manual. 

SPECIFICATIONS  

Tube type; one Raytheon 6111 NOS tube
Battery Type 1-Cell Lithium-Polymer
Battery Play Time: Approximately 6 - 7 hours per charge
Recharge Time: Approximately 3-4 hours
Frequency Response: 40Hz-20KHz +/- 1dB
Signal-to-Noise Ratio: >100dB
Total Harmonic Distortion: 1%
Stereo Crosstalk: >85dB @ 1KHz
Input Impedance 30K ohms Output
Dimensions: 120mm (L) x 72mm (W) x 27mm (H)
One Year Limited Warranty

A brief note on the Raytheon 6111 sub-miniature vacuum tube:

The Raytheon 6111 vacuum tube is a sub-miniature low gain, ultra-low micro-phonics, dual triode with a characteristic open sound stage and smooth delivery.  It can deliver a 25VAC audio frequency signal into a 100K ohm load.

The 6111 vacuum tube, with its ultra-low micro-phonics, low power consumption and rugged build is ideal for portable amplification which is why it is at the heart of the Continental. The 6111 is built for rugged use, an ultra long life and low power consumption requirements. The estimated life of a 6111 tube is approximately 100,000 hours. 

Jul 18, 2011 at 7:22 AM Post #3 of 456
Well im interested in a new portable amp to go with the CLAS so subscribed too

Jul 20, 2011 at 1:52 PM Post #5 of 456
I ordered one too.  I guess I'm a sucker for tubes!  I think the truth is, I got tired of waiting for my JH-3A and needed a new toy to play with.
biggrin.gif

I'm curious to see how these work with my sensaphonics 2x-s.  I know it probably isn't designed for that, but I used to use them with the TTVJ portable tube amp with great success.  Also curious how it will drive my hd800's.

Aug 2, 2011 at 10:44 AM Post #6 of 456
wsilvio & travisg

Was wondering if you received your amp? Was curious about your impressions of "the Continental".

Aug 3, 2011 at 10:36 PM Post #9 of 456

Quote:
wsilvio & travisg

Was wondering if you received your amp? Was curious about your impressions of "the Continental".

The Continental is great!  No problem driving my HD800's.  In fact, it really sounds more like a desktop amp than a portable.  I've also used it with sensaphonics 2x-s' and sounds great too.  An interesting combo that I have also tried and like, is the etymotic er4s.  On the ALO sponsor threat, someone also mentioned that the K701's sound fantastic with the continental.  I might have to get another pair to try with the continental!

I really think this is a fantastic sounding amp.  It is also very quiet.  It is a bit on the big side, but would make a great sounding office or bedroom rig.  I'm very happy with the purchase.  Also, the CLAS sounds great with it too!

Aug 4, 2011 at 10:03 AM Post #12 of 456

SPECIFICATIONS  

Tube type; one Raytheon 6111 NOS tube
Battery Type 1-Cell Lithium-Polymer 
Battery Play Time: Approximately 6 - 7 hours per charge 
Recharge Time: Approximately 3-4 hours 
Frequency Response: 40Hz-20KHz +/- 1dB 
Signal-to-Noise Ratio: >100dB 
Total Harmonic Distortion: 1% 
Stereo Crosstalk: >85dB @ 1KHz 
Input Impedance 30K ohms Output 
Dimensions: 120mm (L) x 72mm (W) x 27mm (H)
One Year Limited Warranty

A brief note on the Raytheon 6111 sub-miniature vacuum tube:

The Raytheon 6111 vacuum tube is a sub-miniature low gain, ultra-low micro-phonics, dual triode with a characteristic open sound stage and smooth delivery.  It can deliver a 25VAC audio frequency signal into a 100K ohm load.

The 6111 vacuum tube, with its ultra-low micro-phonics, low power consumption and rugged build is ideal for portable amplification which is why it is at the heart of the Continental. The 6111 is built for rugged use, an ultra long life and low power consumption requirements. The estimated life of a 6111 tube is approximately 100,000 hours. 

Aug 4, 2011 at 10:58 AM Post #13 of 456

Quote:
The Continental is great!  No problem driving my HD800's.  In fact, it really sounds more like a desktop amp than a portable.  I've also used it with sensaphonics 2x-s' and sounds great too.  An interesting combo that I have also tried and like, is the etymotic er4s.  On the ALO sponsor threat, someone also mentioned that the K701's sound fantastic with the continental.  I might have to get another pair to try with the continental!

I really think this is a fantastic sounding amp.  It is also very quiet.  It is a bit on the big side, but would make a great sounding office or bedroom rig.  I'm very happy with the purchase.  Also, the CLAS sounds great with it too!

wsilvio,

I was the guy who commented on the AKG K701s on the ALO thread. Last night I was using the Continental through the HD800s and they are remarkably better than the K701s. The reason I was blown away by the Continental + K701 combo was that I have never heard the K701s sound this good with an amp. I used the K701 for almost 3 years through an iPod/pc/xin supermini (go figure), and really only started to enjoy them with my Amphora over a year ago. The K701 compared to the HD800s is that the K701 sound a lot more musical, which is surprising compared to their usual analytical sound signature. The bass is also amazing (authorative, tight, deep) and the overall sound signature just rocks!

HD800 takes it up a few notches with better clarity, imaging etc.

But price wise I did pay 7 to 8 times more for the HD800s compared to the K701s. I do however love my K701s, and have had them for a looooong time.

I do agree with you the ER4s sound amazing with this amp. The ER4s just blow me away...don't know what voodoo they use for that IEM.

Aug 4, 2011 at 11:16 AM Post #14 of 456

Quote:
wsilvio,

I was the guy who commented on the AKG K701s on the ALO thread. Last night I was using the Continental through the HD800s and they are remarkably better than the K701s. The reason I was blown away by the Continental + K701 combo was that I have never heard the K701s sound this good with an amp. I used the K701 for almost 3 years through an iPod/pc/xin supermini (go figure), and really only started to enjoy them with my Amphora over a year ago. The K701 compared to the HD800s is that the K701 sound a lot more musical, which is surprising compared to their usual analytical sound signature. The bass is also amazing (authorative, tight, deep) and the overall sound signature just rocks!

HD800 takes it up a few notches with better clarity, imaging etc.

But price wise I did pay 7 to 8 times more for the HD800s compared to the K701s. I do however love my K701s, and have had them for a looooong time.

I do agree with you the ER4s sound amazing with this amp. The ER4s just blow me away...don't know what voodoo they use for that IEM.

Yeah, the er-4's are a surprise.  They were my first high end iems.  They were always good, but bass shy.  The bass is much improved with the continental.  Also, if you use the CLAS, and use the EQU app on the ipod touch or iphone, you can eq in a little more bass if needed.  I thought I might get some 701's for my office.  Even if they aren't up to the hd800's.  I don't think I want a pair of $1400.00 headphones laying around my office!  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back