ALO The Continental
Aug 14, 2011 at 10:21 AM Post #46 of 456
i dont know if any of you guys read the in progress 6moons review of this thing, but one thing to note, for what its worth,  is that its being made in china.  They explain that Ken almost tossed the whole project, b/c his own supplier was starting to sell the Chinese Knock off b4 this thing even went to retail.

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/32ohm1/1.html

I always have a good laugh at 6 moons reviews - 3 pages worth of "review", and basically no mention of the amp yet...
rolleyes.gif

Aug 14, 2011 at 1:04 PM Post #47 of 456

This is a chinese made amp which shares similar design with the one from alo. Do they have connection with each other?May be all the circuits for tube amps are similar, I don't know., Just curious.

Aug 14, 2011 at 1:10 PM Post #48 of 456
clearly they are not using the same parts, but there is no denying that they look like the same layout.   I know nothing about circuits, or electronic parts mind you.

Aug 15, 2011 at 11:06 PM Post #50 of 456
The CLAS-ALO Continental combo really make my LCD-2 (Rev.1) sing.    Compared to Sr-71B, it sounded more natural and warm, and more musical for vocal and jazz.  For rock music, SR-71B still has the slight edge.   I will stick to ALO continental as it is less fatigue for long hour listening as it is more powerful to drive LCD-2.

Aug 15, 2011 at 11:16 PM Post #51 of 456

Quote:
The CLAS-ALO Continental combo really make my LCD-2 (Rev.1) sing.    Compared to Sr-71B, it sounded more natural and warm, and more musical for vocal and jazz.  For rock music, SR-71B still has the slight edge.   I will stick to ALO continental as it is less fatigue for long hour listening as it is more powerful to drive LCD-2.

hmm .. well i may be rethinking my purchase...
i started off wanting the continental (will use with LCD2's also) but changed my mind to the Sr-71B.. wish i could afford both ... :wink:

can you tell me what the bass is like with the continental.. their spec of 40hz-20khz  spooked me.. that just cant be right.. does the low end start to roll off at 40hz?
anyone who can confirm this, especialy via a sine wave would be much appreciated.

more power to drive lcd2? wow thats hard to believe.. nothing personal, just hard to believe in general.

thanks

Aug 15, 2011 at 11:53 PM Post #52 of 456

Quote:

i started off wanting the continental (will use with LCD2's also) but changed my mind to the Sr-71B.. wish i could afford both ... :wink:

can you tell me what the bass is like with the continental.. their spec of 40hz-20khz  spooked me.. that just cant be right.. does the low end start to roll off at 40hz?
anyone who can confirm this, especialy via a sine wave would be much appreciated.

more power to drive lcd2? wow thats hard to believe.. nothing personal, just hard to believe in general.

thanks

Listening to the guitar feedback intro from Thurston Moore's album seems more real on the ALO Continental than SR-71B.    Really hard to choose between the 2 though my heart goes to the ALO.   Sorry I am not so technical so cannot help you with your technical question.

For ALO Continental, my volume know is at 10 o'clock and i need to go to 12 to 1 o'clock on the SR-71B.     Thats how I interpret the power aspect (very layman...).

I guess if you have the chance to audition both will be the best.   Cheers.

Aug 16, 2011 at 12:05 AM Post #54 of 456

Quote:

thanks

Hi Br777,  the other consideration is that SR-71B is more versatile to drive IEMs with CLAS.   ALO Continental is not ideal to drive IEMs, as I have tried them.   Cheers.

Aug 16, 2011 at 4:28 AM Post #55 of 456
Seems like the Continental has deep and powerful Bass
L3000.gif

Or it could be bloomy and sloppy, like a lot of OTL tube amps. A 40Hz cutoff will not get the entire low end.

Still no specs from the manufacturer?

Odd.

As for 6Moons, I take them as seriously as my horoscope. The only difference is that it takes less time to read my horoscope.

Aug 16, 2011 at 9:34 PM Post #56 of 456
Mine is at customs, should clear any day, so should be with me within the next few days. can't wait to compare these with the SR-71A and JDS cMoy. Mainly I'm interested in how well they'll drive my T1's. With the SR-71A I'm hitting at least 3/4 of the volume bar and with the JDS I'm having to max it and it's still not quite loud enough, though still a decent volume. Hearing about the warmth and bass heaviness of these, I think they should pair very well with the T1's fingers crossed.

Aug 17, 2011 at 9:37 PM Post #57 of 456
I've had the Continental now for about 10 days driving my Audeze LCD-2 (rev2)'s.  I've never turned the volume control past 10 and usually leave it at 9.  Plenty of power and base to me, but I'm new to headphones (though I've had Sennheiser HD 600's in the past and returned Sennheiser HD800's after auditioning them when they came out.  The Audese LCD-2's are the first headphones to ever get me excited about can listening for the sake of can listening.

My reference non-headphone audio system is unusual:  Bluray + SACD > Anthem Statement D2 > Anthem ARC + SVS AS-EQ 1> Anthem A5 Amp > seven (7) ceiling mounted Thiel Powerpoint 1.2's combined with dual (2) Velodyne DD-15 subwoofers in a treated room < Audio system developed around a home theater rig. primarily for music concert videos, increasingly Blu-ray. Have about 50 SACD's and hundreds of music concert videos.  I do know what musical low bass is supposed to sound like.

In my NON-golden ears opinion, the Lyr is slightly better than the Alo Continental, but the portability of the IPod/Solo/Continental is fantastic for me 'cause I travel about 40% of the time. In fact, I may sell the Lyr not because it isn't good but only because I find myself listening to my LCD-2's via the IPod/Solo/Continental much more than the Lyr because when I'm home I'm more likely to listen to SACD and watch/listen to music videos thru my audio/theater rig. ( A Blu-ray Changer and a slowly dying 70" Sony Qualia 006 support the video portion + other various decks).

Chris

Aug 18, 2011 at 10:49 PM Post #59 of 456

Quote:
I am curious:  Who is the designer behind these ALO amps? With TTVJ it's Peter, with Meier it's Jan, with RSA it's Ray, with Triad Audio it's Phil, etc. The ALO enigma doesn't lead to any specific conclusions but an enigma is still an... enigma. It would be nice to know. One reason that I mention it is that a named designer probably would release and stand by specs.

(We do know the committee that designed the CLAS which is a big reason that I bought it. Good people!)

my understanding is that its 32ohm audio.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back