ALO Rx Amp Impressions?
Nov 9, 2009 at 8:51 PM Post #46 of 106
Quote:

Originally Posted by HONEYBOY /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks!! I know the amp sounds lovely. I still can't get over how the recable triple fi 10 improved drastically with it. I can get the S4's now but am considering getting some recabled ultrasone instead
biggrin.gif
.The comfort of the ultrasones is what am concerned with. By the way do you find the treble with the RX/X and ultrasone combo to be fatiguing when listening for long durations.

Getting some recabled Ultrasones would be a great match. Which model are you thinking of looking for? Recabled Ultrasones should not have any harshness with this combo... if anything, it's just super smooth and detailed. The Rx really brings out the best of my Mogami recabled 780's. It's truly an addicting combo to listen to.

Nov 9, 2009 at 11:24 PM Post #47 of 106
Quote:

Originally Posted by cn11 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Getting some recabled Ultrasones would be a great match. Which model are you thinking of looking for? Recabled Ultrasones should not have any harshness with this combo... if anything, it's just super smooth and detailed. The Rx really brings out the best of my Mogami recabled 780's. It's truly an addicting combo to listen to.

I've heard great things of the Apuresound recabled hfi 780 so that's the one I'm hoping to get haha. We have quite similar listening tastes so I'm sure they'll match very well with the Rx.

Nov 10, 2009 at 3:57 PM Post #48 of 106
The Edition 8 sounds phenomenal with the Rx. I know that's not the Ultrasone you're looking at, but I'm just sayin' . . .
smile_phones.gif

Nov 12, 2009 at 7:54 PM Post #49 of 106
As I get some hours on this amp, I'm hearing a definite widening of the soundstage, and everything is getting more transparent regarding instrument separation and placement within the stage. It's just getting better and better, and I love listening all day with this amp as I work.

Nov 13, 2009 at 12:11 AM Post #50 of 106
Well, this is odd, sadly. After my great first impression the amp does not work for me. I've let it burn in for probably close to 150 hours and it just does not work in my system (UE11's, iMod, pvcap). To me, the mids are a bit too forward, the upper treble a bit too prominent and the bass just ever so slightly recessed. Now understand, these are small quibbles, bu I'm comparing it to my Lisa III which is just all around better.

I guess I'll be putting mine up for sale, anyone interested in getting an already burned in Rx for a slight discount?

EDIT: the amp has sold

Nov 13, 2009 at 12:38 AM Post #51 of 106
That's a shame. Hopefully someone will benefit from the sale of your Rx while they're out of stock currently at ALO.

Nov 13, 2009 at 3:20 AM Post #52 of 106
Quote:

Originally Posted by FreeBlues /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, this is odd, sadly. After my great first impression the amp does not work for me. I've let it burn in for probably close to 150 hours and it just does not work in my system (UE11's, iMod, pvcap). To me, the mids are a bit too forward, the upper treble a bit too prominent and the bass just ever so slightly recessed. Now understand, these are small quibbles, bu I'm comparing it to my Lisa III which is just all around better.

I guess I'll be putting mine up for sale, anyone interested in getting an already burned in Rx for a slight discount?

mememememememe please pm me and we can work out a deal.

Nov 13, 2009 at 5:46 AM Post #53 of 106
great news for someone who wants a great amp. i can confirm that the bass isn't in the slightest recessed, even with the JH13Pro which give many amps a drop to -3-5 dbl in bass, a pop in the treble, and a hit in the mids. the Rx feeds down to 1 ohm meaning there is probably no iem in the world which will skinny down too much for it. if the lisa has added bass, that of course, is another story.

Nov 13, 2009 at 6:53 AM Post #54 of 106
freeblues, I commend you for coming forward with your thoughts. When something appears to be 'all things to all people', it sets off warning bells for me, and I begin to suspect a FOTM. Hearing that someone doesnt like the amp, and what they didnt like about it, puts some needed perspective back into the thread for mine. That said, I still very much want to hear the Rx for myself.

I'm sure you will have absolutely no trouble selling your Rx.

Nov 15, 2009 at 8:28 PM Post #55 of 106
I have been through quite a few portable amps. The iQube is the one I kept and I've had it for sometime. I've been wanting to hear the Rx and compare it with my iQube. I was fortunate to buy one from FreeBlues. Its on it way. I'll keep the one I like better and sell the other. The iQube is a phenomenal amp. Will the Rx outperform it ? We'll find out.

Nov 15, 2009 at 9:28 PM Post #56 of 106
Quote:

Originally Posted by musicmaker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have been through quite a few portable amps. The iQube is the one I kept and I've had it for sometime. I've been wanting to hear the Rx and compare it with my iQube. I was fortunate to buy one from FreeBlues. Its on it way. I'll keep the one I like better and sell the other. The iQube is a phenomenal amp. Will the Rx outperform it ? We'll find out.

Is the iQube version you have the V1 or the V2? I've never heard the V2 but I very much preferred the Rx to the V1 as it sounded more open and full bodied with a much better dynamic range using some recabled triple fi 10.

Nov 16, 2009 at 4:50 PM Post #57 of 106
Quote:

Originally Posted by HONEYBOY /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is the iQube version you have the V1 or the V2? I've never heard the V2 but I very much preferred the Rx to the V1 as it sounded more open and full bodied with a much better dynamic range using some recabled triple fi 10.

I have the v1. I've been through a lot of portable amps and consider the iQube to be one of the most neutral and detailed portable amps. Should have the Rx in the next day or so. I'll be using the Senn HD25 for the comparison.

Nov 16, 2009 at 5:26 PM Post #58 of 106
Quote:

Originally Posted by musicmaker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have the v1. I've been through a lot of portable amps and consider the iQube to be one of the most neutral and detailed portable amps. Should have the Rx in the next day or so. I'll be using the Senn HD25 for the comparison.

Cool!!! May the best amp win haha.
I shall be receiving some APS V3 recabled hfi 780 later today so I can't wait to see how they pair with the RX.

Nov 16, 2009 at 6:08 PM Post #59 of 106
Quote:

Originally Posted by shigzeo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
great news for someone who wants a great amp. i can confirm that the bass isn't in the slightest recessed, even with the JH13Pro which give many amps a drop to -3-5 dbl in bass, a pop in the treble, and a hit in the mids. the Rx feeds down to 1 ohm meaning there is probably no iem in the world which will skinny down too much for it. if the lisa has added bass, that of course, is another story.

Shigzeo, you have really nailed a critical element in the amp/headphone interface re IEMs. We all need to take notice re which amp we're using with these more complex impedance IEMs. We haven't seen a real impedance curve for these multi-crossover IEMs (ES3X in my case), but I wouldn't be surprised to see a significant depression well below their rated impedance. It's not unusual in loudspeakers to see an 8 ohm, rating but, under load drop into 4 ohms territory. My little AP Step's (4 ohm rated) dipped to 3 Ohm at some frequencies (NOT a good candidate for a tube amp, needing a good SS amp with plenty of current.)

The right amplifier will produce a more linear output, even if the impedance drops below it's rating. That is certainly true with my DNA Sonett and ES3X, with both ends of the spectrum leveling to match the midrange.

From what I've read re the ALO Rx, its PS may be the "leveler" allowing a more linear FR for the JH13 and ES3X.

Comments about the ES3X having an emphasized midrange are probably true, for a given amp. Pair it with something with some oomph, and it sings! Other's have noticed the same thing with the JH13's too.

Maybe you should start a new thread about the amplifier headphone interface?
wink_face.gif

Nov 16, 2009 at 6:19 PM Post #60 of 106
Can anyone comment on how the ALO Rx compares to an RSA SR-71A?

There are a lot of positive comments here but would I hear much of a difference from my SR-71A?

I use a 5.5G iMod with a P-vcap dock and SE530's in conjunction with my amp, any opinions welcome.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back