ALO Rx Amp Impressions?
Nov 3, 2009 at 8:13 PM Post #31 of 106
So far, wow, just WOW. I have only been listening with my Ultrasone HFI-780's, but I can't take them off to try out my other earphones at the moment.....

Nov 3, 2009 at 8:55 PM Post #32 of 106
Quote:

Originally Posted by cn11 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So far, wow, just WOW. I have only been listening with my Ultrasone HFI-780's, but I can't take them off to try out my other earphones at the moment.....

This tells me I made the right choice
atsmile.gif

I've seen much mention of the bass and mids but seldom about the treble. Anyone care to comment.

Nov 3, 2009 at 9:07 PM Post #33 of 106
The treble is equally impressive. It actually has this tactile quality, which is wonderful. There's so much air and space in and around the highs, and it's grainless and so smooth.

Nov 4, 2009 at 2:27 AM Post #34 of 106
Quote:

The treble is equally impressive. It actually has this tactile quality, which is wonderful. There's so much air and space in and around the highs, and it's grainless and so smooth.

You should now try the amp with the s4's and see if it improves them like the shadow did hehe
evil_smiley.gif

Nov 4, 2009 at 3:06 AM Post #35 of 106
Quote:

Originally Posted by oakleyguy89 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You should now try the amp with the s4's and see if it improves them like the shadow did hehe
evil_smiley.gif

I did a quick listen earlier today, and it was equally impressive...
ksc75smile.gif

Nov 5, 2009 at 2:02 PM Post #37 of 106
HONEYBOY-
Congrats... I look forward to seeing your initial thoughts.

Nov 5, 2009 at 11:27 PM Post #38 of 106
Holy Carp!!

I said I wasn't gonna do this, but I've changed my mind. I got my Rx yesterday and have burned it in for the last 24 hours. I've listened for a short bit, tracks I know very well. Okay, it's new, it has some changes to go through, but I need to say this much so far:

HOLY CARP!!

This might be the best amp I've ever heard, definitely the 2nd best at this point.

In front of my as I type are my well loved Lisa III, 2 years old and my all time number one (by a large margin) and an 8 month old Mustang P-51. Both have thousands of hours on them and I know them very, very well. Source is an iMod > pvcap > UE11's with ALO cables. Based on just what I've heard so far, the Rx is very, very close to the Lisa, better than the P-51. It is possible it will match - or exceed? - the Lisa.

I didn't think this was possible and results could and likely will change, but for right now I'd say the Rx is a SPECTACULAR amp. Yikes!

I'm going to give the amp more than enough time to burn in, then do a much more comprehensive listen and comparison of my 3 amps. Stay tuned...

Nov 8, 2009 at 12:59 PM Post #40 of 106
You are right - they have removed the Rx, presumably due to an explosion in orders following this thread ....

It was on this page previously:

ALO Audio

Try emailing them.

Nov 8, 2009 at 2:28 PM Post #41 of 106
That's kind of a shame... I hope it's still available for possible future owners. I guess the few of us got in while the getting was good.

Nov 8, 2009 at 5:28 PM Post #42 of 106
Quote:

HONEYBOY-
Congrats... I look forward to seeing your initial thoughts.

Heyy cn11! My initial experience with the Rx and the IE8 wasn't great! I was quite disappointed because am not really hearing any difference to the IE8 and considering that it is my first real amp I had no clue what to expect and thus had unrealistic expectations haha. Am preferring just listening to them through the X1060 than through the touch 2G via ibasso Cb03 LOD and Rx. Can you check and let me know if your IE8s are responding in anyway to this amp or if it mates better with The Shadow because as of now am not hearing any difference. I have no clue why. The amp is still very young in hours though. Just about 18 hours now so things can definitely change. I don't wanna post much about the amp until I have given it a thorough burn in or if this particular experience with the IE8 changes for the better along the way, because I don't wanna make comments that I'd later have to recant.

I did try the amp with a recabled triple fi 10 and there was DEFINITELY a universal improvement over just listening solely to the hp out of the x1060. It was amazing!! Vocals came alive and had more body and articulation, bass, details and everything was there with a better sense of realism. I also couldn't detect any coloration in the sound so the Rx seems to be very transparent in that regard. I 100% much preferred this amp to the iQube V1 that I also tried. So I do know that the amp indeed sounds good. Am just not sure why I'm not hearing the IE8s respond in such similar fashion at the moment. Anyways even if the IE8 +Rx combo don't come through in the end, I don't think am getting rid of this amp any time soon!

Nov 8, 2009 at 5:47 PM Post #43 of 106
HPA has a thread here where he details the results of matching different IEMs with different portables : it makes for depressing reading. The further you go down the chain of his preferred IEMs, the ability of the phones to respond favorably to each of the amps diminishes, at least in his assessment.

I'm sure he can supply more details, but thats how I interpreted his review.

Nov 9, 2009 at 7:27 PM Post #44 of 106
Quote:

Originally Posted by HONEYBOY /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Heyy cn11! My initial experience with the Rx and the IE8 wasn't great! I was quite disappointed because am not really hearing any difference to the IE8 and considering that it is my first real amp I had no clue what to expect and thus had unrealistic expectations haha. Am preferring just listening to them through the X1060 than through the touch 2G via ibasso Cb03 LOD and Rx. Can you check and let me know if your IE8s are responding in anyway to this amp or if it mates better with The Shadow because as of now am not hearing any difference. I have no clue why. The amp is still very young in hours though. Just about 18 hours now so things can definitely change. I don't wanna post much about the amp until I have given it a thorough burn in or if this particular experience with the IE8 changes for the better along the way, because I don't wanna make comments that I'd later have to recant.

I did try the amp with a recabled triple fi 10 and there was DEFINITELY a universal improvement over just listening solely to the hp out of the x1060. It was amazing!! Vocals came alive and had more body and articulation, bass, details and everything was there with a better sense of realism. I also couldn't detect any coloration in the sound so the Rx seems to be very transparent in that regard. I 100% much preferred this amp to the iQube V1 that I also tried. So I do know that the amp indeed sounds good. Am just not sure why I'm not hearing the IE8s respond in such similar fashion at the moment. Anyways even if the IE8 +Rx combo don't come through in the end, I don't think am getting rid of this amp any time soon!

That's a shame you didn't notice a huge difference initially with the IE8. I hope that changes as the amp burns in. Last night I did some back to back comparisons with the Klipsch Image S4, Denon C710, and IE8 running out of the Rx/X combo, with a mini to mini cable from Lil' Knight. I noticed that the Denons and IE8's didn't exhibit as much change as the S4's, so I'm thinking that phones which are harder to drive will show more benefit. With the IE8's if I listen closely to the same passage of music several times with the X alone, and then with the Rx plugged in, I can notice a broadening of the soundstage as well as bass getting deeper and more controlled. It's definitely all about subtleties though.

But with the Ultrasones it is a different story entirely. They benefit hugely from the Rx. With the S4's and Ultrasones when I go back to the X by itself listening is not nearly as enjoyable as with the amp in action. I guess it's all about a synergy thing.
biggrin.gif

Nov 9, 2009 at 8:45 PM Post #45 of 106
Quote:

That's a shame you didn't notice a huge difference initially with the IE8. I hope that changes as the amp burns in. Last night I did some back to back comparisons with the Klipsch Image S4, Denon C710, and IE8 running out of the Rx/X combo, with a mini to mini cable from Lil' Knight. I noticed that the Denons and IE8's didn't exhibit as much change as the S4's, so I'm thinking that phones which are harder to drive will show more benefit. With the IE8's if I listen closely to the same passage of music several times with the X alone, and then with the Rx plugged in, I can notice a broadening of the soundstage as well as bass getting deeper and more controlled. It's definitely all about subtleties though.

But with the Ultrasones it is a different story entirely. They benefit hugely from the Rx. With the S4's and Ultrasones when I go back to the X by itself listening is not nearly as enjoyable as with the amp in action. I guess it's all about a synergy thing.
biggrin.gif

Thanks!! I know the amp sounds lovely. I still can't get over how the recable triple fi 10 improved drastically with it. I can get the S4's now but am considering getting some recabled ultrasone instead
biggrin.gif
.The comfort of the ultrasones is what am concerned with. By the way do you find the treble with the RX/X and ultrasone combo to be fatiguing when listening for long durations.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back