ALO Rx Amp Impressions?
Oct 23, 2009 at 9:13 AM Post #16 of 106
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ricey20 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yep, I'm waiting for the shadow. Though, I already like the Rx more than my P-51.

Oh! That is some bold statement to make. Would be an interesting thread in the days to come. I think you can rename this thread as an appreciation thread [NewMexiCat].

Oct 23, 2009 at 9:43 AM Post #17 of 106
I heard from Boomana that jp11801 really liked his ALO Rx. I'm quite confident that the Rx is gonna be a worthy contender.

popcorn.gif

Oct 23, 2009 at 1:13 PM Post #18 of 106
The Rx is my overall favorite amp. size, SQ, build, battery life. definitely worth more than it's price. also, ken is great about answering your questions promptly and thoroughly. I would like to hear some impressions vs. the pico slim and shadow although i bet it outperforms both of those.

Oct 23, 2009 at 1:30 PM Post #19 of 106
Quote:

Originally Posted by proteuskim /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Recently received this amp as a late birthday present!!
Straight out of the box, the RX amp sounds amazing. My only qualm was that the volume goes back to its initial setting after the amp is turned off and there is no indicator for how loud your setting is. so you dont know if you're at 12:00 or 3:00 or what have you. Ken said that this was to protect your hearing so that it doesnt blast into your ears when you turn it on. not a bad feature per se but a little inconvenient on my end. however, there was no fatigue listening to it at about 8 clicks.
What can I say? the amp is beautiful. It is about the size of a ipod touch. which surprisingly isnt much weight or bulk when carrying it together with my iPod. The sound quality rivals the Lisa III although i think the Lisa still has more power. portability wise, the ALO Rx wins. Only amps i had to compare it with were the Lisa III and RSA Hornet M. I will never touch the Hornet M again.
Highs and Lows were smooth and controlled but still alive enough to keep me glued to my music. the mids were surprisingly apparent. Im listening through D7000s so yeah, what i heard was more forward mids. the recessed mid problem was gone from my D7000s. When on pause all i could hear was total silence. Vocals were very alive and smooth. Sibilance was barely noticeable on some songs but i believe that had more to do with the file itself rather than amp and headphones. I used to need my FiiO E5 in line as a bass boost with the Hornet but I have no need for it with the Rx. Not saying that the RX is a bass monster but it's good enough for me by itself. I hope this helps for now Ken. I have to do more listening and going to try the amp in line with my Korg Zero 4 mixer at a DJ gig tonight. I have a feeling I'm not going to want to take off my headphones.

awesome. sound competes with LISA III? I think read somewhere that Jerry likes it too!

Oct 29, 2009 at 4:09 AM Post #21 of 106
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ricey20 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yep, I'm waiting for the shadow. Though, I already like the Rx more than my P-51.

i wonder how does it sounds comparing to P-51? thanks

Oct 30, 2009 at 4:04 PM Post #23 of 106
The Rx is my favorite portable amp and I feel like it will likely change the game from longer and longer battery life fights to better and better sound quality. I've owned the pico, mustang and original sr71 and would say the Rx tops all of these in sound quality . Some more than others it handily beats the hornet in that is is much more open, the pico and sr71 it bests in the frequency extension and dynamics.

Oct 30, 2009 at 8:49 PM Post #24 of 106
I've just gotten mine and it sounds wonderful. Huge spacious sound and, especially, tight and tonal bass. I didn't think my iQube was veiled, but I guess it was... Ken says burn-in will improve the Rx, too.

Oct 31, 2009 at 10:09 AM Post #25 of 106
I've only listened for a few minutes as I was more interested in charging the thing, but as I noted at TMA, the amp has a great stepped attenuator which is balanced evenly even at its lowest setting. And, it has good, sharp edgy mids and bass notes. I am looking forward to getting proper listening done from tomorrow.

Just preliminary, but I decided to test what I was hearing with the hitherto hard-to-drive FitEars 333 and... the Rx performed better than any other portable amp I have tried with the same earphones. Phenomenal actually! While I trust my own ears, I don't absolutely trust my judgement when faced with a 350$ headphone amplifier!

Oct 31, 2009 at 2:11 PM Post #26 of 106
Quote:

Originally Posted by shigzeo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've only listened for a few minutes as I was more interested in charging the thing, but as I noted at TMA, the amp has a great stepped attenuator which is balanced evenly even at its lowest setting. And, it has good, sharp edgy mids and bass notes. I am looking forward to getting proper listening done from tomorrow.

Just preliminary, but I decided to test what I was hearing with the hitherto hard-to-drive FitEars 333 and... the Rx performed better than any other portable amp I have tried with the same earphones. Phenomenal actually! While I trust my own ears, I don't absolutely trust my judgement when faced with a 350$ headphone amplifier!

Hi there Shigzeo am very much considering getting the Alo Rx to pair with an IE8. However, these phones are quite finicky with what they're paired with. I'd be grateful if you can tell me if they match quite well or if there's an improvement with the IE8. That's if you still own the IE8 though
normal_smile .gif

Oct 31, 2009 at 2:32 PM Post #27 of 106
Oh no! I don't own the IE8, rather I had them on a looooong lone from the very gracious CN11. I think you are right though - when the IE8 is driven with power, its low end resolution comes back out. What source are you using? The IE8 isn't my favourite earphone, but it can sound very, very good. But, if the Rx can drive the FE 333, it can drive the IE8 which has a linear impedance of 16 ohms while the FE 333 rises and falls with its own cross over load and can force burden of probably 8 ohm in some cases (maybe lower) on an amp or source.

Oct 31, 2009 at 2:53 PM Post #28 of 106
Quote:

Originally Posted by shigzeo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh no! I don't own the IE8, rather I had them on a looooong lone from the very gracious CN11. I think you are right though - when the IE8 is driven with power, its low end resolution comes back out. What source are you using? The IE8 isn't my favourite earphone, but it can sound very, very good. But, if the Rx can drive the FE 333, it can drive the IE8 which has a linear impedance of 16 ohms while the FE 333 rises and falls with its own cross over load and can force burden of probably 8 ohm in some cases (maybe lower) on an amp or source.

Ohhh ok haha. I guess I'll just have to buy em and see what it does. Fingers crossed they'll match well. I just have a good feeling about this amp though. I'd be using my touch 2G via ibasso Cb03 LOD. Also willing to try it out of my x1060 headphone out but am not sure if that's putting the ALO RX to good use or not. Thing is that this will be my first real portable amp so I really don't wanna make a rash purchase like a normally do haha

Oct 31, 2009 at 3:17 PM Post #29 of 106
Well, why not wait for a few more reviews from sources you trust, chat up the owners and ... give a month on top of that. I also don't play well with irrational purchases (but am guilty sometimes!) and I will caution you. That said, the Kenwood C700, a very polite earphone dynamic is simply lovely with the Rx - big, bassy, powerful, and exciting. The IE8 should get more resolution in the bass as this earphone is great with the Rx and should experience at least a little of the same effects.

Nov 2, 2009 at 4:26 PM Post #30 of 106
ALO Rx ordered. Looking forward to comparing its sonic characteristics with the Shadow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back