ALO Headphone Mods and info
Jun 3, 2007 at 5:47 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18
This thread is dedicated to the future ALO Headphone Mod Service. I extracted the Headphone discussion from the Imod Cable thread and placed the posts here.

ALSO

Please be sure to check out the review of our mods in the recent ToneAudio Issue #10 here

http://www.tonepublications.com/TA-mag.htm

Thanks

Ken

Quote:

Originally Posted by KB /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey trose,

I am still working these iMod Docking stations and am hoping to have some by the first part of July. The way these will work will be such that you plug in your iMod to the docking station which sits down on a ipod connector much like the stock Apple dock. Your ipod will be at an angle but supported by the contour of the docking station so you can view the ipod. These will be made entirely out of wood, bamboo, burl wood, Coco bola etc… inside the dock will be some of the finest capacitors you can find. These large caps will be hardwired directly from the pins on the ipod connector to the RCA outs. I will also wire up a panel mount mini out for added convenience, as well as charging to a wall wart. So all you need is a pair of RCA cables to send all the goodness to your AMP. By the way I make some of the best non arm and a leg RCA cables you can find.

Thanks

Ken
various wood

Your up huh? Lol! Any idea of a ballpark price?

I ask because I need one more imod cable or the dock would do the job and I want to decide if I should wait or not?

Also is headphile invloved at all? Due to the wood I thought maybe

Campfire Audio Campfire Audio - Nicely Done. Stay updated on Campfire Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.campfireaudio.com/ Support@campfireaudio.com
Jun 3, 2007 at 6:26 AM Post #2 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by trose49 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I ask because I need one more imod cable or the dock would do the job and I want to decide if I should wait or not?

I am sure Ken will respond, but Headphile is not the only doing woodwork. Ken collaborates with a cool woodworking guy who has done some ALO woody headphones that have been discussed previously and I assume he will be doing these docks. He was with Ken at the int'l meet and his work looks very nice indeed.

Jun 3, 2007 at 7:13 AM Post #3 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by trose49 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I have never met Larry or have even talked to him but my buddy Todd (TTVJ) speaks highly of Larry so I am certain that Larry is a great guy, and does some fantastic work with headphones.

I am so close to launching my headphone services. Since you brought it up.
wink.gif

I have just received my papers from AKG and am now a official AKG dealer and will be offering not only new stock AKG701's but ALO re-cabled AKG's that are also new. I will offer many options for the cable and sleeving with balanced work to follow later.

AKG701a.jpg

As for Grados

I am going to be selling various phones SR60 - SR225's that have been rescreened, re-cabled and woodied.

Cocobola.jpg
Cocobola1.jpg

80s-bacote-close.jpg

I have a super talented woodworker that works for me and will be doing the iMod Docks for me. Here is Jim turning some Grado cups for me, look how happy he is!

woodworker.jpg

cups.jpg

Pricing will vary please email me about my inventory. audiolineout@gmail.com

Thanks!

Ken

Campfire Audio Campfire Audio - Nicely Done. Stay updated on Campfire Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

Jun 5, 2007 at 3:40 AM Post #4 of 18
We have the SR60's and the 225's in here at TONE Audio for review, which should be in issue 10 (due out by the weekend...)

But Ill tell you this much, we were very pleased with Ken's work! Enough that both Marc Phillips (The Vinyl Anachronist) and I both bought the review pair and Steve Hoffman was so thrilled with the 701's that he's now on the waiting list to get those.

And I think I'm gonna have to send my 701's in for re-cable as well, it's awesome!!

Jun 5, 2007 at 4:15 AM Post #5 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by MC Jeff D /img/forum/go_quote.gif
We have the SR60's and the 225's in here at TONE Audio for review, which should be in issue 10 (due out by the weekend...)

But Ill tell you this much, we were very pleased with Ken's work! Enough that both Marc Phillips (The Vinyl Anachronist) and I both bought the review pair and Steve Hoffman was so thrilled with the 701's that he's now on the waiting list to get those.

And I think I'm gonna have to send my 701's in for re-cable as well, it's awesome!!

Jeff,

Thanks so much for the nod.

I encourage everyone to check out ToneAudio and D/L the (free!) new issue #10 that is jam packed hi-fi goodness.

[size=small]http://www.tonepublications.com/toneAudio.htm[/size]

Ken

Jun 6, 2007 at 4:24 PM Post #6 of 18
Dang! the cocobolo is just gorgeous, I would be afraid to wear them on the basis I would be mugged
very_evil_smiley.gif
(being such a nice looking can and all)

Ken, do you have pic of a modded SR225 in which the number is not glued unto the screen? It seems to me it would look even better w/o the 225 label stcuk on the screen. Just my $0.02

Cocobola.jpg

Jun 6, 2007 at 4:29 PM Post #7 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Dang! the cocobolo is just gorgeous, I would be afraid to wear them on the basis I would be mugged
very_evil_smiley.gif
(being such a nice looking can and all)

Ken, do you have pic of a modded SR225 in which the number is not glued unto the screen? It seems to me it would look even better w/o the 225 label stcuk on the screen. Just my $0.02

Cocobola.jpg

Hey Mrarroyo,

You are right, I feel that the SQ is improved w/o the number button. Many folks like to have the button so they know what can it is though. We are going to offer to have the button or not, so yes it will be an option.

Thanks!

Ken

Jun 7, 2007 at 12:26 AM Post #9 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by KB /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey Mrarroyo,

You are right, I feel that the SQ is improved w/o the number button. Many folks like to have the button so they know what can it is though. We are going to offer to have the button or not, so yes it will be an option.

Thanks!

Ken

I have always thought that removing the button would help in opening up the sound. Good to see it does. Thanks.

Miguel

Jun 7, 2007 at 7:01 AM Post #10 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Musicdiddy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ken, those are gorgeous cans. This might seem like a daft question but whats the SQ like compared to the unmodded Grados?

The major bump in overall sound quality is due to the Jena Wire. I do think the dense wood cups provide a stabilizing force for the entire housing though. Which has a sonic impact I am sure. The tolerance of these cups are insane, I mean they are tight and sung. But to answer your question these modded Grados are all much fuller sounding. When I hear a stock Grado it is lifeless and stark compared to these. The modded grados have more body, warmth and tonality vs the stock can.

I have heard other aftermarket cables on Grados and I hate to sound like a smart ass but they have it all wrong. I mean it was so tinny, sharp and thin - just horrible.

I have a hand-spun silver in silk headphone cable that I love to use with SR60’s. The results killer because the 60’s are muddy, darker yet not as sharp and fatiguing as the rest of the line up. The silver cable tightens up the flabbiness but you still get that full bass that I like with the 60’s. I think the 60’s are overlooked by a lot of people. For hiphop and other types of music they are great.

Here is what the wenge looks like, sometimes I want to eat them they look so good.

wenge-close.jpg

wenge-cup.jpg

Jun 7, 2007 at 2:08 PM Post #11 of 18
Would one be able to get a pair of woodied Grado's without a recable?

Jun 14, 2007 at 9:45 PM Post #13 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by shaizada /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Any updates on a Sennheiser HD-650 recable?

Still working on it, slow going.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back