ALO Cryo SXC 18G vs 22G?
Nov 15, 2008 at 8:12 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

1000+ Head-Fier
Hi,

Not sure if it's right of me to post this here, but I see there are 2 kinds of ALO Cryo SXC cables, 22G and 18G on their website that supports the iPhones and 2G touch.

What is the main difference besides the thickness of the wires?

I see the price jump by quite a margin.

Can anyone recommend which is appropriate as I do not wish to upgrade that often?

Regards.

Nov 15, 2008 at 8:34 AM Post #2 of 24
They both cost I think exactly the same to get from jena directly. which is like 5 bucks a foot and you'll probably have just over a foot in your LOD once you count the varying strands together

:)

18g has a lot of bass, btw

Nov 15, 2008 at 9:28 AM Post #3 of 24
For flexibility, get the 22AWG.
For ultimate flexibility, get stranded copper.
For ultimate durability (age), get silver. I personally use silver when I make my LODs because oxidised silver is still a conductor, but oxidised copper is not (a good conductor, at all).
The benefits/"sound" of a cable is almost negligible if it's an LOD. No point spending heaps on an LOD IMHO. But if you're using it as a 0.5m long RCA-RCA or longer, now that is debatable.

Nov 15, 2008 at 3:20 PM Post #5 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have the 18 gauge version (ipod only and w/o the iMod) and it is a very nice sounding unit. Lots of warmth and detail at the same time.

I agree with mrarroyo as I have the same LOD. Im no expert compared to others here but IMO you can only gain an increase in SQ if you are using lossless files (or similar) together with the ALO LOD that you are asking.

Nov 15, 2008 at 4:00 PM Post #6 of 24
Hi,

I will need one to use with the RSA Mustang P-51(hopefully sometime soon) and heard that something more flexible is advisable since the jack might not be able to take the pressure.

Is the 22g ALO Cryo SXC cables flexible enough as compared to the copper ones?

Regards.

Nov 15, 2008 at 4:24 PM Post #7 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by palestofwhite /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi,

I will need one to use with the RSA Mustang P-51(hopefully sometime soon) and heard that something more flexible is advisable since the jack might not be able to take the pressure.

Is the 22g ALO Cryo SXC cables flexible enough as compared to the copper ones?

I'll let you know when I get mine
bigsmile_face.gif

I see that you are in Singapore? I've worked there for like 7 years, circa 90's. I lived in Red Hill then moved to Tanglin Halt. I still miss the rendangs and chili crabs
bigsmile_face.gif
. One of the cleanest countries Ive been to.

Nov 15, 2008 at 4:28 PM Post #8 of 24
Hi,

It's really nice to have someone familiar here! And I see you have a few LODs as well. Well please let me know when you get yours as I don't want to spend on the wrong stuffs again...

Anyway I bet you missed Chicken Rice and probably Laksa too. I think Tanglin Halt is somewhat near Alexandra and there are some nice food over there as well...

Regards.

Nov 15, 2008 at 5:49 PM Post #9 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by palestofwhite /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi,

It's really nice to have someone familiar here! And I see you have a few LODs as well. Well please let me know when you get yours as I don't want to spend on the wrong stuffs again...

Anyway I bet you missed Chicken Rice and probably Laksa too. I think Tanglin Halt is somewhat near Alexandra and there are some nice food over there as well...

Regards.

actually it looks like he's only got one LOD
darthsmile.gif
a few IC's but only one LOD. SXC; better known as silver plated copper; doesn't sound so special when you say it like that does it?? I would get the 18AWG though. the flexibility isn't an issue if you know one neat trick. normally yes the 18AWG will stress both the dock out on the ipod/iphone and the input jack on the amp. but if you get yourself a hairdryer put it on hot attatch the LOD as you would normally and wave the hairdryer at the LOD while holdiong the amp and dap together. dont just hold the dryer still or have it TOOO hot you might melt something/ anyway after about 30-40seconds stop and leave the LOD to cool in position. the LOD is now that shape if you take it off it will stay like that. takes the stress of your equipment and allows you to use the 18AWG which IMO is better. as luminette says more bass. 18AWG is more of a PITA to work with so I understand why its more, but that much more
eek.gif

Nov 15, 2008 at 7:26 PM Post #10 of 24
If I recall even the 18g SXC was fairly flexible when I had a loaner to test, being stranded individual wires in a PE jacket, and the silver plating on each strand by itself will reduce oxidation of the copper underneath it.

As for sound of the 18g vs 22g, it seems to me that for such a short run of cable length and such low current levels that they should sound very similar.

Nov 15, 2008 at 10:08 PM Post #11 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As for sound of the 18g vs 22g, it seems to me that for such a short run of cable length and such low current levels that they should sound very similar.

Finally! Yeah but seriously, what can 4~5" of wires in parallel do to be so different between 2 gauges? A lot of people believe bigger, is better. But I've heard otherwise. They've also forgotten that shorter is better, for analog interconnect cables of course. The shorter the cable is, the less it affects whatever's flowing through it.

Nov 16, 2008 at 3:25 AM Post #12 of 24
they do sound similar; VERY similar, especially as it is such a short distance. It is however noticeable that there is slightly more bass energy with the 18AWG. VERY slightly. with speaker cables and headphone re-cables it is very noticeable, but it takes a quiet room to tell the difference with a LOD but there is a difference.

Nov 16, 2008 at 6:39 AM Post #13 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by qusp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
they do sound similar; VERY similar, especially as it is such a short distance. It is however noticeable that there is slightly more bass energy with the 18AWG. VERY slightly. with speaker cables and headphone re-cables it is very noticeable, but it takes a quiet room to tell the difference with a LOD but there is a difference.

I always go for the 18g, so that's why I don't know what the 22g sounds like
tongue.gif

Nov 16, 2008 at 1:57 PM Post #14 of 24
Hi,

I'm sorry guys, does anyone know if the imod versions of LODs work with the normal iPods? I was thinking of getting those cause I have future plans of doing the iMod? Please advise.

Regards.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back