ALO Audio RXMKIII Balanced Portable Amplifier Impressions
Jul 14, 2013 at 7:16 PM Post #646 of 1,084
Quote:
Advice on the following please I have read through the thread and now leaning toward the international rather than the RX3. I have RWAK - 100S, LCD3, W3000 ANV and Future Sonic MG6PRO

I haven't heard the International, but for me, a big factor would be be the built-in USB DAC.  That's a big feature that the Rx Mk III
doesn't have.  On the other hand, RX MkIII has loads of power and lots of impact.  All of your investment goes into the amp circuit.

If you don't already have a DAC, then the International is going to be super convenient.  

Jul 14, 2013 at 7:49 PM Post #647 of 1,084
Quote:
I haven't heard the International, but for me, a big factor would be be the built-in USB DAC.  That's a big feature that the Rx Mk III
doesn't have.  On the other hand, RX MkIII has loads of power and lots of impact.  All of your investment goes into the amp circuit.

If you don't already have a DAC, then the International is going to be super convenient.  

FYI,

Vinnie's RWAK100-S has a very impressive DAC with true "line out".  It's more about the amp...

Jul 21, 2013 at 11:44 AM Post #653 of 1,084
I'm using the mk3b+ though....definitely the wide soundstage...whole sound presentation is more of encompassing your whole head, rather than "in your face" kind...very good instrument separation and staging...I can clearly hear the position of the instruments playing...also very hollow and airy sound...not aggressive sound which makes whole listening experience comfortable and enjoyable...I had d-zero, predator and vorzuge duo before...this amp certainly is my best portable amp and on its own league...

Jul 21, 2013 at 9:51 PM Post #654 of 1,084
I'm using the mk3b+ though....definitely the wide soundstage...whole sound presentation is more of encompassing your whole head, rather than "in your face" kind...very good instrument separation and staging...I can clearly hear the position of the instruments playing...also very hollow and airy sound...not aggressive sound which makes whole listening experience comfortable and enjoyable...I had d-zero, predator and vorzuge duo before...this amp certainly is my best portable amp and on its own league...

I'd love to hear your thoughts of your Rx Mk3 vs the Vorzuge AmpDuo if I may. I own the Rx Mk3 (non +), and I've heard the AmpDuo before and each has its place but I'd like to hear your perspective if I may.

Jul 21, 2013 at 11:04 PM Post #655 of 1,084
I'd love to hear your thoughts of your Rx Mk3 vs the Vorzuge AmpDuo if I may. I own the Rx Mk3 (non +), and I've heard the AmpDuo before and each has its place but I'd like to hear your perspective if I may.

Hi Anak

I'll try as I've sold off my vorzuge duo so this is based on my memory of the sound... Comparing these 2,i find that mk3b+ is better than vorzuge quite a large margin... Only area that vorzuge duo is better is the bass.. I like the bass of vorz, very clean and doesnt overkill and doesn't bleed into the mids..I like the very black background of it too, which Mk3b doesn't provide me that well... Also, vorz gave me the impression of "in your face" signature.. Soundstage, imaging, staging, vocals wise are ok, but Mk3b is a lot better.. Listening experience with Mk3b is just totally different.. If bass of Mk3b can be a little more, that will be perfect... This is my humble opinion

What about you? I would like to hear your opinions since u have listened to both of them as well :)

By the way, this is my setup (not sure whether this will affect anything)

DAP: MS AK100
IEM: Earsonics SM64 v2, with toxic silver poison cable
Interconnect: Uber mini-mini

Edwin

Jul 22, 2013 at 5:15 AM Post #657 of 1,084
That is interesting because + model has the tweaked bass dial right. And still a noisy background?

I think for other sensitive iem, the hissing still persists.. But as my sm64 has quite a high impedance, it is doing fine for me, not much of an issue .. It's not noisy, just that it's not complete black/dark background which in this aspect, I prefer intruder...

Jul 22, 2013 at 10:52 AM Post #658 of 1,084
I tested MK3 non-plus model with my PFE 232 (47 ohm). Could not really detect hiss but then it was meet conditions so quite a large caveat given IEM hiss has been consistently quoted in this thread (and I have read every post!).

Have narrowed down my choice to Pico Power and MK3+. I am still hoping for someone to report on both ha

Jul 23, 2013 at 4:36 AM Post #659 of 1,084
I tested MK3 non-plus model with my PFE 232 (47 ohm). Could not really detect hiss but then it was meet conditions so quite a large caveat given IEM hiss has been consistently quoted in this thread (and I have read every post!).

Have narrowed down my choice to Pico Power and MK3+. I am still hoping for someone to report on both ha

I've tested with yamaha eph-100 and I still hear discernible hiss.. Not sure about this iem impedance though

Jul 26, 2013 at 5:56 AM Post #660 of 1,084
There is a definite hiss (even in balanced) with my JH16s. The background is nowhere near as black as my pico slim and the hiss is very audible when nothing is playing, but as soon as the music starts you will stop caring :) Everything about the actual sound is excellent, and it also handles my LCD-2s in balanced with authority. There is also a channel imbalance at super-low volumes as is typical with analog pots --- but if you are in low gain even with sensitive IEMs i get past this for normal listening levels.

The pico slim is awesome (tiny, long battery life, totally black, perfect channel balance), but overall I prefer the tone, punch and authority of the MK3 even with the IEMs. Obviously it is a much larger piece of kit with much shorter battery life, so I definitely enjoy having both around.

I'm usually feeding it out of a CLAS -DB rig, if that helps give context to the comparison.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back