ALO Audio RXMKIII Balanced Portable Amplifier Impressions
Jun 1, 2012 at 10:34 AM Post #166 of 1,084
Quote:

The bass knob feature can be a little deceiving at first. When we first received the prototype with the initial bass feature I also thought it was not doing enough. However after using the amp for a day or so a really interesting thing occurred. I found that the more I got use to the amp the more I was able to discern the effect of the bass adjust, also my ears really became aware more of these freq. Additionally we did not want to make this feature corrupt anything, rather add some girth to the low mids and lows which I think it does very well.  The people who tested the bass for us all came to the same conclusion, make it delicate, sweet and fill in these areas. Also I think the vast majority of users will also find it spot on, however again pleasing everyone is not a realistic goal, so many ears, so many different combinations of gear and thusly there will be some on the ends of the bell curve that the amp will not be a good match. 

Cheers!

Ken

My experience mirrors Ken's observations above.  At first I thought the bass control was like a cross-walk button:  push it to make you feel good, but it doesn't turn the light any quicker.  After a time I did recognize the effect, especially in orchestral music.  

I leave it full up with one exception:  solo piano music.  The percussive sound of the is somewhat distorted by having the bass button full up.  Turning to 50% or less resolves the effect.  

Otherwise, loving this amp.

Jun 1, 2012 at 11:19 AM Post #167 of 1,084
Quote:
I can report that on low and middle gain on the ALO Rx Mk3-b using a balanced ES5 that my noise floor has dropped below my ability to detect.  On high gain I still can hear a slight noise level. Others may very well still detect some noise but I could not even on the highest volume levels using the middle gain of the Mk3 with bass all the way up.  I am using the Moon Audio IEM Silver Dragon cable.  The manner in which I tested this is that I paused the track and turned up the knobs.  This would always produce the noise levels I detected before very easily.  

Just one point of reference.  The ES5 has plenty of volume for me with a volume setting at 2 pm on low gain going balanced.

It does sound good as well nothing lost in going balanced from my viewpoint.  Maybe a bit added in imaging, but this is hard for me to say the ES5 is so good to start with.

I have to say that ALO has done a remarkable job in making the Mk3 be able to handle such a range of equipment from the ES5 to the HE-6 as noted on Headphonia, not that I have heard it.

So noise floor has been reduced significantly after using balanced out.

How about the channel imbalance at low volumes on low gain? Is that fixed, too, by using balanced out?

Jun 1, 2012 at 1:08 PM Post #169 of 1,084
My quick question is:
Is this better than RSA's SR-71B amp?
I was going to get that, but I keep hearing good things about this one, so I wanted to see what you guys thought.

Depends on the sound you want.
The rsa is warmer.

Jun 1, 2012 at 1:45 PM Post #170 of 1,084
Quote:

So noise floor has been reduced significantly after using balanced out.

How about the channel imbalance at low volumes on low gain? Is that fixed, too, by using balanced out?

I can't seem to detect any imbalance with mine.  After some more listening with a quiter background, there still is a little noise in the middle gain but not like what it was.  I am sure some people may detect some noise on low gain while I might think I hear some but am not sure.  This is much better than it was single ended.

Jun 1, 2012 at 2:24 PM Post #171 of 1,084
My quick question is:
I was going to get that, but I keep hearing good things about this one, so I wanted to see what you guys thought.

I wrote an impressions post with the SR-71B on the 2nd page :

http://www.head-fi.org/t/609931/alo-audio-rxmkiii-balanced-portable-amplifier-impressions/15#post_8390256

Test was done on single ended mode only though.

Jun 1, 2012 at 5:06 PM Post #173 of 1,084
Quote:

I can't seem to detect any imbalance with mine.  After some more listening with a quiter background, there still is a little noise in the middle gain but not like what it was.  I am sure some people may detect some noise on low gain while I might think I hear some but am not sure.  This is much better than it was single ended.

So even at the lowest volumes (ie. from turning it on at around 1 o'clock until 2 o'clock) there is no channel imbalance?

I only use low gain for my IEMs because mid gain at the lowest volume will already make me go deaf.

Jun 1, 2012 at 5:26 PM Post #174 of 1,084
Quote:

So even at the lowest volumes (ie. from turning it on at around 1 o'clock until 2 o'clock) there is no channel imbalance?

2 o'clock is loud for me and certainly no imbalance there for me.

Jun 1, 2012 at 5:51 PM Post #175 of 1,084
Quote:
My quick question is:

You may want to have a read of the thread.. its not that long especially if you are going to drop several hundred dollars on the amp 
wink_face.gif

Jun 1, 2012 at 6:52 PM Post #176 of 1,084
Hi gang,
I'm a noobe and have been following your wit and wisdom with great pleasure.  I am planning to spring for a CLAS + Rx??.
Anyone have anything to say re: head-to-head RxMk2 vs. RxMk3 in SE mode?
I use mostly IEM's but occasionally dip into cans like Senn, Grado, etc. and do NOT plan to go Balanced any time soon.
If general consensus is that Mk3 whips Mk2 even if SE is primary usage I would consider saving up that extra $$ to get it.
Thanks for any enlightenment here.

Jun 1, 2012 at 7:10 PM Post #177 of 1,084
I would jump for the mk3 anyhow. Main reasons would be that you can go balanced at some stage which helps spaciousness significantly. The other main difference is the Rx3 has slightly more top end detail. The Rx2 is quite a dark sounding amp in my opinion. I guess it depends on which cans you match it with as to which you will/should choose.

Jun 1, 2012 at 7:11 PM Post #178 of 1,084
I should also add that if you are running super efficient iems to get Ken to wind back the gain on the Rx3.

Jun 1, 2012 at 9:52 PM Post #180 of 1,084
Quote:

But it seems like this problem can be solved by a balanced out.

Maybe not for every sensitive IEM....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back