ALO Audio RXMKIII Balanced Portable Amplifier Impressions
May 23, 2012 at 12:46 PM Post #91 of 1,084
I have a question that might be a bit OT, but I would appreciate it if any of you could help out on this.

In the MK3 promo video by Ken, I noticed that there is a headphone stand in the background that they put the HD800 and the HE6(?) on that stand.

I am looking to buy a stand that can fit two cans rather than just one - does anyone know where I can buy one of those? It looks pretty neat IMO, and will be perfect for my purposes.

Thanks for any input.

You can see that headphone stand in this video: http://vimeo.com/41797015 at 00:18

May 23, 2012 at 1:19 PM Post #92 of 1,084
Quote:
headphone out

Actually, I was replying to DannyBai's question, but you must have gotten your post in right ahead of mine.
biggrin.gif

May 23, 2012 at 1:24 PM Post #93 of 1,084
May 23, 2012 at 3:21 PM Post #94 of 1,084
Just got my ALO Rx Mk3 a few minutes ago and am listening to the DT1350 balanced, single ended out of the DX100 line out into the Mk3 with the balance headphone out.

It does add something to the sound...am please with the initial impression.

First impression is that the bass line without any additional adjustment is much more detailed and powerful with better soundstage/imaging.

Does anyone have any experience using CIEMs balanced and does it mess with the sound in a negative way?  I am listening now to my Weston 4r balanced to see what happens if anything.

Keeping on listening to the Mk3 now with the Westone 4r...open less warm than with the DX100 single ended.  Love the imaging balanced.  It would seem that the Mk3 for my sound profile preference is better for me than the RSA SR-71B with either the DT1350 or 4R.

Time to get to the Senn HD25-1 and check it out balanced for first impressions on those phones.  Note first thing that was apparent is the DX100 drives the HD25 at a higher volume than the Mk3, using the same setting I had for the 4r having both at near the same level.  The Dx100 single ended is darker than the Mk3 with the HD25.  HD25 is much better sounding not so dark.

First impressions are that this unit is one amazing little device.

The sound profile of the Mk3 to me leans toward the cleaner, more natural sounding HP-P1 while the DX100 amp leans toward the much darker SR-71B.  Both the Mk3 and DX100 maintain a musicality that is very much to my pleasure which is better to me than the SR-71B which of course is consider very musical.  I thought the HP-P1 was quite musical as well but probably with a little less power and control than either the DX100 or Mk3. 

During my 4r listening I could tell very little difference between single ended and balance on a first impression bases but with my portable DT1350 it is quite apparent the better imaging that the balanced presentation brings to the sound. Having a diaphragm may be key is getting the little extra going balanced provides.

Of course present amount of listening time and burn-in should considered when reading these impressions.  

I really can't say what the differences are right now between single ended and balanced using my Westone 4r but I prefer listening balanced.  I will get around to understanding this sometime.  Right now the sound is more comfortable or right to me.  I have played around a little with the bass knob but the position is usually off.

Given the new ALO Rx Mk3 sound profile I now have left the HD25s home.  The HD25s just does not rise to the same level as the DT1350 or the 4r using the Mk3 out of the DX100.  These are just more enjoyable now.  Per a request below I am placing the backside of the first image along side. Both are clickable for viewing in a larger size.

May 23, 2012 at 9:12 PM Post #97 of 1,084
Quote:
Just got my ALO Rx Mk3 a few minutes ago and am listening to the DT1350 balanced, single ended out of the DX100 line out into the Mk3 with the balance headphone out.

It does add something to the sound...am please with the initial impression.

First impression is that the bass line without any additional adjustment is much more detailed and powerful with better soundstage/imaging.

Does anyone have any experience using CIEMs balanced and does it mess with the sound in a negative way?  I am listening now to my Weston 4r balanced to see what happens if anything.

Keeping on listening to the Mk3 now with the Westone 4r...open less warm than with the DX100 single ended.  Love the imaging balanced.  It would seem that the Mk3 for my sound profile preference is better for me than the RSA SR-71B with either the DT1350 or 4R.

Time to get to the Senn HD25-1 and check it out balanced for first impressions on those phones.  Note first thing that was apparent is the DX100 drives the HD25 at a higher volume than the Mk3, using the same setting I had for the 4r having both at near the same level.  The Dx100 single ended is darker than the Mk3 with the HD25.  HD25 is much better sounding not so dark.

First impressions are that this unit is one amazing little device.

Congratulations! Glad you got your RxMk3 and nice initial impressions! Any chance you have the adapter to go back from the Kobiconn to single ended? i.e. comparing RxMk3's SE output vs balanced with the same pair of headphones?

May 23, 2012 at 10:58 PM Post #99 of 1,084
Quote:

Congratulations! Glad you got your RxMk3 and nice initial impressions! Any chance you have the adapter to go back from the Kobiconn to single ended? i.e. comparing RxMk3's SE output vs balanced with the same pair of headphones?

Sure do... and will eventually but balance was the big test.

May 23, 2012 at 11:09 PM Post #100 of 1,084
I'm due to receive my Rx3 tomorrow, and the new comments about hiss and channel imbalances have me worried as I'm particularly sensitive to these things . . .

May 24, 2012 at 4:23 PM Post #102 of 1,084
Just received my a couple of days ago.  Works wonderfully out of the box with my DT1350 and ET4s.  Not so much in balanced mode with the RE262, a little harsh.  I'm going to try the 262's again after a some burn in.  The subtlety of the bass control took a little getting used to but then I've been hanging with a DigiZoid a lot lately :wink:

May 24, 2012 at 8:05 PM Post #104 of 1,084
[size=medium]I got to have a couple of good listening sessions to the RX3 on the plane and it definitely sounds better balanced than single ended.  I have an adaptor so can run either of my cans in either mode but in summary the balanced has slightly better bass texture and slam as well as slightly more mid range detail.  The imaging is significantly wider and enveloping.  I can remember reading that the JH16 with their multiple drivers and 3 way crossovers was prone to imaging misalignment with balanced drive but this is absolutely not the case with the RX3.[/size]

[size=medium]The RX3 does have some low level channel imbalance at present.   The other thing is that even in low gain when you turn the volume to zero I can still hear the music playing.  These two issues dont bother me as I dont normally listen at super quiet levels.  Both of these comments relate to use with my JH16.[/size]

[size=medium]The other thing that I think that I am noticing is that the bass has dropped off slightly from the initial hour.  Time will tell if this levels out.  You can always help it along with the bass boost feature but when I first listened to the RX3 with my JH16 I thought that it was too bassy with my iems and more suited to the DT1350 but now I am absolutely loving it with the JH16's.[/size]

[size=medium]It is still my favourate portable amp though by a fair margin.  My biggest concern is getting so caught up in the music that I crank it up and dream that I am at live concerts all of the time....and go deaf!  :)[/size]

May 24, 2012 at 8:12 PM Post #105 of 1,084
@Kremer930, cheers for your impressions. Good to know bout the difference in SE vs balanced. I am getting balanced cables for my UM Merlins in the next few weeks (special deal rather than have to pay the full price).

Did you manage to try longer tests with the DX100?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back