ALO Audio RXMKIII Balanced Portable Amplifier Impressions
Jun 17, 2014 at 9:53 AM Post #841 of 1,084
I'll also add that my Audeze LCD-2's have absolutely no hiss in them when coupled with this amplifier, 10/10 hearing here.

Jun 20, 2014 at 6:09 AM Post #844 of 1,084
Hi!
Anyone tried Fostex TH-600 headphones with RXMKIII?

Its a fantastic combination, with fantastic synergy.  I don't feel the TH-600s have as much recessed mids, as they do on other portable amps I have tried them with.  I've been using them in the single ended input for about 6 weeks (low gain) and couldn't be happier....

....well maybe happier?  I just sent out my TH-600s to be modded for balanced listening, so maybe I'll see an even greater listening experience...

It's weird for me, with this amp.  The lower a headphone's impedance, the more I like them with this amp.  And that's not saying this baby doesn't have power.  It does, and usually with plenty to spare....

Jun 20, 2014 at 12:00 PM Post #846 of 1,084
What about hissing? Is it noticiable?

I haven't heard a bit of hiss.  But I never did the "hiss test" buy listening to max volume with no music playing.

I also never heard any hiss from my Grado HF-2s, equally as sensitive...

Jun 20, 2014 at 12:16 PM Post #847 of 1,084
As HiFiRobot says, I've only heard of IEM users reporting hiss.
I've never experienced it with my collection of full size cans.

Jun 20, 2014 at 7:46 PM Post #848 of 1,084
I am really looking into this amp as I would like to eventually work towards a balanced set-up. The only problem is I have a really decent amp, Pico Power, and it runs beautifully. I need a better justification to spend more money on another amp. This would make my third portable set-up. I would hate to sell the Pico and regret it. Has anyone compared the sound from the Rx to what Headamp Pico Power delivers? Would really like some feedback...I guess I am not in a bad place to be trying to decide on another portable set-up. Forgot to add that will mostly run from an iPod Classic 7G with mostly ALACs for songs. I know, no balanced output but am trying to plan for future upgrades...

Jun 21, 2014 at 12:56 PM Post #849 of 1,084
Thanks for yours impressions.

One more question: do you consider the synergy between RXMKIII + Fostex Th-600 better than RXMKIII + Alpha Dog?

I currently have Mad Dog and I'm expecting my RXMKIII to be delivery next week and want to upgrade my headphones too.

regards

Jun 23, 2014 at 9:45 PM Post #850 of 1,084
For those into vintage HP's the Fostex T10 and the MKlllB+ have nice synergy on the high setting.

An even tougher to push HP, the AKG K240 sextett, also gets enough juice with this portable amp on high setting.

The hiss/hum on high is not a big deal for me, I don't spend much time listening to my amp without music on.  

The amp is loaded with power and battery life.

Jun 24, 2014 at 11:10 AM Post #851 of 1,084
 I would hate to sell the Pico and regret it. 

Trust your instincts would be my advice.

Another thought, since you're finding the Pico to be just right for now, you could also work on getting your balanced source set up first.

Jun 25, 2014 at 7:50 AM Post #852 of 1,084
Thanks, something to think about. Will have to wait anyway until some funds become available...will have to look into balanced DAPs. Will need cables to convert phones to balanced, then interconnects. Will it ever end? God I love this stuff. My wallet hurts.

Jun 25, 2014 at 12:51 PM Post #853 of 1,084
  Thanks, something to think about. Will have to wait anyway until some funds become available...will have to look into balanced DAPs. Will need cables to convert phones to balanced, then interconnects. Will it ever end? God I love this stuff. My wallet hurts.

One option, using your current PC, Mac or portable Android and Apple devices
is the AlgoRhythm Solo -dB which offers balanced analog ouput.  In case you
want to stay with your current DAP and add a DAC to create a balanced signal.

I haven't had the opportunity of listening to this... but it's on my radar as one of the options
for balanced operation.

If portability is not required, then the ALO Island looks very good.  Again, I haven't had the chance
to hear it.  

Jun 25, 2014 at 9:08 PM Post #854 of 1,084
Thanks, been looking at the clas db and looks really good. Now my wallet really hurts. This might not be a bad option to go to and then upgrade the amp later. The more I read about the RX, the more I think I may sell the Pico and mate the RX with the CLAS db...it's great that there are so many options.

Jun 26, 2014 at 5:26 AM Post #855 of 1,084
  One option, using your current PC, Mac or portable Android and Apple devices
is the AlgoRhythm Solo -dB which offers balanced analog ouput.  In case you
want to stay with your current DAP and add a DAC to create a balanced signal.

I haven't had the opportunity of listening to this... but it's on my radar as one of the options
for balanced operation.

If portability is not required, then the ALO Island looks very good.  Again, I haven't had the chance
to hear it.  

That's the combo I listen to...

They are a match that were designed to play together.  You could try a CLAS with your Pico Power first, and see if upgrading your DAC does the trick.  I think if you polled most Head-Fiers, they would consider the two amps on par with each other.  Granted, the Mk3 b+ is balanced and has that lovely bass adjustment...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back