ALO Audio RXMKIII Balanced Portable Amplifier Impressions
May 1, 2014 at 8:18 PM Post #826 of 1,084
@flatmap: there seems to be a trend in the last year or so for cheaper volume pots, which is a shame. My MKIII has a pretty good volume pot, but not the greatest. Personally, my favourite was the original Rx digital knob though the new one has almost the same level of control as the original. It's amazing how far the series has come.

May 2, 2014 at 11:26 AM Post #827 of 1,084
Folks, has anyone felt a certain muddiness in the High's/Treble after turning the gain to high? Medium seems to smooth it right out, but I feel as if I lose some bass impact.

Please tell me I'm not crazy :<.

May 2, 2014 at 2:50 PM Post #828 of 1,084
  Folks, has anyone felt a certain muddiness in the High's/Treble after turning the gain to high? Medium seems to smooth it right out, but I feel as if I lose some bass impact.

Please tell me I'm not crazy :<.

LCD-2s I imagine?  Every headphone has a sweet spot, and maybe you found it at the middle setting.  I bet the T1s or other 600 ohm headphone would want the high gain setting...

May 2, 2014 at 4:47 PM Post #829 of 1,084
Hello to everybody!

It's my first post on Head-Fi, I can only say it's a great source of information!

I was almost decided to buy iCan Nano amp but now I am considering to take Rx MK3 B+ (I do not need DAC) which would work with HD-600 and Olympus LS-5 as source (all wav files) but I have one doubt...  I listen most of all to Renaissance and baroque music and wonder if the hiss you are refering to RX MK3 will be disturbing me in listening this peaceful music.... Unfortunately I have no possibility to try this amp (no dealer in Poland) therefore I can only based on reviews of this amp owners. I have read that ALO International+ has the lowest hiss but I do not need DAC, I nedd just an amp and RX MK3 seems best choice... but can the noise made by Rx MK3 be a problem with this kind of music and HD-600?

renes

May 2, 2014 at 8:57 PM Post #830 of 1,084

LCD-2s I imagine?  Every headphone has a sweet spot, and maybe you found it at the middle setting.  I bet the T1s or other 600 ohm headphone would want the high gain setting...

I didn't use the high gain with my DT880/600. In fact, I used low M or high L with them. 

May 3, 2014 at 11:37 AM Post #831 of 1,084
This amp, this AMP!

It brings out male vocals as if they were held at gunpoint.

Bryan clarks voice used to be engaging before I used this amp, but now, he slaps my eardrums with powerful emphasis from each word that Is produced from his heavenly vocal cords.

75 hours of burn in (sue me :< ), and it keeps getting better.

May 5, 2014 at 8:28 AM Post #832 of 1,084
My RxMKIII is randomly (at the peak volume of certain tracks) flashing red at higher volumes in both Medium and high gains, what does that mean?!

(Just had a set of balanced Norne Audio cables delivered to me, noticed it right after)

Edit: Forgive my idiocy, the bloody things low on battery.

May 6, 2014 at 3:50 AM Post #833 of 1,084
My RxMKIII is randomly (at the peak volume of certain tracks) flashing red at higher volumes in both Medium and high gains, what does that mean?!

(Just had a set of balanced Norne Audio cables delivered to me, noticed it right after)

Edit: Forgive my idiocy, the bloody things low on battery.

Yes, it does that before the light changes colour.

Jun 3, 2014 at 2:47 PM Post #834 of 1,084
Anyone know how this pairs with the HD800?

Jun 4, 2014 at 12:11 AM Post #836 of 1,084
  This amp, this AMP!

It brings out male vocals as if they were held at gunpoint.

Where do you usually set the gain / volume / bass when listening with your LCD-2s?

I saw your previous message about muddiness on high gain... curious!

I run LCD-2's balanced from it as well. Medium gain sounds the best to me usually, although I can never decide for sure.

Jun 4, 2014 at 3:30 PM Post #837 of 1,084

Where do you usually set the gain / volume / bass when listening with your LCD-2s?

I saw your previous message about muddiness on high gain... curious!

I run LCD-2's balanced from it as well. Medium gain sounds the best to me usually, although I can never decide for sure.

After going for Balanced myself, All Gain ranges, regardless of volume, sounded the same.

I think the problem was my old cables, after going for Norne-Audio's Skoll/Vanquish cables+adapters, it really brought out the potential in this amplifier.

I'm usually at  10-11 o'clock in terms of volume and on Medium Gain, higher than that and my ears begin to experience rapid Fatigue.

Bass is always at 3 o'clock.

Jun 16, 2014 at 5:13 AM Post #840 of 1,084
  How would the InEar StageDiver 3 sound. Im mainly getting this amp for the he 500 but im wondering if it would be ok for this iem. Impedance: 40 ohms on the sd3.

SD3 is 119dB, you might have some hiss with the RX MK3-B. But maybe that is improved with the + version. Check directly with ALO since they sell the SD3 as well.
My RX MK3-B has some noise with the very sensitive Westone UM 30 Pro at 124dB. But no problems with lower sensitivity Westone W30 or ATH-IM03 both around 107-108dB.

Great amp otherwise with good synergy together with HE-500.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back