ALO Audio RXMKIII Balanced Portable Amplifier Impressions
Mar 2, 2013 at 6:56 PM Post #586 of 1,084
Quote:
The only thing I not happy about this RX3 is the volume imbalance issue at low setting. At cold it's worse, after warm up, gets better, but I still paranoid about the imbalance thing as it made me feels it always imbalance even after warm up or crack up the volume its get to the point of indistinguishable.

Mine doesnt suffer that issue although I dont use it with IEMs (occasionally IE8's) but mainly full size cans. I'm annoyed (but tolerate) with the scratchy volume pot so be warned if you suffer from OCD you may have an issue here. For the hell of me I cant tell if its the RX3B or the -dB or the combination. What I will say is the SQ trumps the issue hence why I still have them.

Mar 8, 2013 at 3:31 PM Post #588 of 1,084
Quote:
If my source is single ended and output is balance, will that make any differences or do I got to have both balance in and out to hear real improvement over the single ended. I am contemplating on getting balance cable for in and out.

Hi @Audiowood,

Can you confirm if I used a single ended input to the MK3-B, and a balanced output to the headphones/IEMs that it works?  

My main concern is that single ended in/out and balanced in/out are separate and preclude mixing.  I'm thinking about ordering JH-16s and a Moon Audio balanced cable, but will continue driving from my HP-P1 for the foreseeable future.

Mar 8, 2013 at 7:59 PM Post #589 of 1,084
I have a Mk III-b and use it with single ended input and balanced output... so can confirm this works fine.  

Mar 10, 2013 at 11:14 AM Post #591 of 1,084
Does anyone find having the inputs & outputs on the opposite ends of the amp to be inconvenient?  I was strongly considering this, but the input/output config means having something connected on each end.  I might be able to overlook that given it's pure awesomeness in performance, but I know myself...it will bug me.  And I don't want to be "bugged" by a $650 amp

Mar 10, 2013 at 7:20 PM Post #592 of 1,084
Quote:
Does anyone find having the inputs & outputs on the opposite ends of the amp to be inconvenient?  I was strongly considering this, but the input/output config means having something connected on each end.  I might be able to overlook that given it's pure awesomeness in performance, but I know myself...it will bug me.  And I don't want to be "bugged" by a $650 amp

If you use a LOD cable, then I'd recommend the 'right angle' or 'low rider' style  -- since the amp will be sitting on the input cable when it's in your pocket.

Mar 10, 2013 at 8:41 PM Post #593 of 1,084
Quote:
Quote:

If you use a LOD cable, then I'd recommend the 'right angle' or 'low rider' style  -- since the amp will be sitting on the input cable when it's in your pocket.

I'd actually be using a mini to mini short interconnect (from the headphone/line-out of my RWAK100), so low profile right angle 3.5mm plugs would be important for me w/ this application.  Gonna mull it over; don't feel like having to sell this 30 days after getting it...yeah, I'm picky.  I know this.  =p

Mar 11, 2013 at 8:29 PM Post #594 of 1,084
I'm able to enjoy my Mad Dog T50RPs at home tonight thanks to a newly picked up Rx Mk3. Sounds great, and drives the orthos with authority. 

I think I got an early amp though, since I do hear substantial hiss on low gain with my Fitear TG!334s. But I was expecting that, and I bought it mainly to drive the Mad Dogs. Wonderful amp so far. 

Mar 21, 2013 at 10:10 PM Post #595 of 1,084
My MK3 was delivered to me earlier tonight..  I plugged it into charge, and at first, the light was green.  But after a few minutes, it started blinking...a slow blink.  I just let it charge like that for over 2 hours, and it was blinking the whole time.  I finally got impatient, and hooked up my RWAK100 & plugged in my IEMs to give it a listen.  Too early to give impression beyond saying, sound-wise, it kicks the utter living crap out of the Arrow 4G that was delivered to me only a week ago.  It's still plugged in, and now the light blinks, alternating between green & blue (which I seen posted elsewhere).  I'm still unsure whether I should be concerned about th eblinking green light when charging & not powered on.  It's been 3 hours, and I've been listening while charging for about 35 minutes, and this thing still isn't fully charged.

Mar 22, 2013 at 10:14 AM Post #596 of 1,084
Hmmm....sounds like you should call Ken at ALO. Something seems amiss. Congratulations on a great purchase though. Awesome amp:)

Mar 26, 2013 at 8:02 PM Post #597 of 1,084
Quote:
My MK3 was delivered to me earlier tonight..  I plugged it into charge, and at first, the light was green.  But after a few minutes, it started blinking...a slow blink.  I just let it charge like that for over 2 hours, and it was blinking the whole time.  ....

Did the blinking stop?  The instructions say that, "the indicator flashes between colors during changes in the battery power levels."  So definitely sounds like it should reach a point in charging where the indicator lamp turns off and it is fully charged.

If not, then agree it's time to contact ALO.  They're very helpful in my experience.

Mar 26, 2013 at 10:33 PM Post #598 of 1,084
Quote:
Quote:
My MK3 was delivered to me earlier tonight..  I plugged it into charge, and at first, the light was green.  But after a few minutes, it started blinking...a slow blink.  I just let it charge like that for over 2 hours, and it was blinking the whole time.  ....

Did the blinking stop?  The instructions say that, "the indicator flashes between colors during changes in the battery power levels."  So definitely sounds like it should reach a point in charging where the indicator lamp turns off and it is fully charged.

If not, then agree it's time to contact ALO.  They're very helpful in my experience.

After a short conversation w/ them late last week, they said I should return it...sounded like a bad power supply.  It got weirder after my initial post--the LED started blinking a very pale green...as if the LED wasn't getting enough juice to light it all the way.  I used it unplugged, and ran out of power only 3 hours in.  I already got my replacement today, and am sending mine back tomorrow.  I was impressed they shipped the replacement so quickly, no questions asked beyond initial attempt at diagnosing the issue.  I am listening right now to the replacement after its first full charge.  My initial impression stands:  it utterly destroys the 4G Arrow in every possible way sound-wise.  Not to bag on the Arrow...it's amazing what that thin little thing can do.  I've only purchased two items from ALO:  AK100 (sent to Vinnie for his mod) & now the MK3.  Their no b.s. way in dealing w/ me is appreciated, and I am the type to be loyal, so ALO has a new long-term customer.

Mar 28, 2013 at 7:30 PM Post #599 of 1,084
+1 re: Ken and ALO. I recently purchased an MK3-B to pair with a pair of FitEar ToGo 334s and the AK100. I found the hiss on the amp to be too much for my tastes. Ken graciously accepted my return and I am now eagerly awaiting delivery of the International, which he feels has a lower noise floor than the MK3-B. 

Apr 11, 2013 at 7:59 AM Post #600 of 1,084
Quote:
+1 re: Ken and ALO. I recently purchased an MK3-B to pair with a pair of FitEar ToGo 334s and the AK100. I found the hiss on the amp to be too much for my tastes. Ken graciously accepted my return and I am now eagerly awaiting delivery of the International, which he feels has a lower noise floor than the MK3-B. 

Ditto. Currently rocking a 334 loaner and I find the MK3-B too powerful. It's currently paired with a National.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back