ALO audio Continental Dual Mono
Jul 2, 2015 at 12:34 AM Post #17 of 35
I love you guys product but jesus, thats a lot of money!

on a side note, I would love it for someone to do a comparison between this, the theorem 720 and the centrance M8...TIA

Jul 4, 2015 at 10:34 AM Post #18 of 35
love the warmth of the Continental V3, hated the hiss..........nice pricing for a portable tube amp.

love the silence of the CDM, hate the price!!!!!....i mean hate my empty wallet.

hahahah.....

audition the CDM today......its good.....its darn good.....bass was just the right dose and not bloated. nothing muddy there.

give the CDM a go, don't let the price put you in a bias position, let your ears do the listen.....then start SAVING!

(Source was 3.5mm to 3.5mm input from AK240 to CDM to MH334 - low gain setting)

Jul 8, 2015 at 10:42 AM Post #19 of 35

It will drive these with out problem.

Thanks

ken

really wished u added some bass boost and treble boost option, would been a perfect dac/amp

Jul 8, 2015 at 1:08 PM Post #20 of 35
  really wished u added some bass boost and treble boost option, would been a perfect dac/amp

hykhleif,

Have you demo'ed the CDM? It did not need a boost or treble augmentation, we feel it as do others that it is the perfect dac/amp :wink:

Ken

Campfire Audio Campfire Audio - Nicely Done. Stay updated on Campfire Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.campfireaudio.com/ Support@campfireaudio.com
Jul 8, 2015 at 7:22 PM Post #21 of 35
So have been doing some experimentation with cases for the CDM and have found two options that seem to work pretty well. 

#1 = Smaller CDM-only case - HDE 5.2 inch Hard Case GPS Case ($7.99) - This fits the CDM and the USB cable nicely, and is almost custom fit for the size of the unit. I'd use something like this if traveling short distances and didn't need to take the charger or anything else with it other than the USB cable. 

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0096DM9YC?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00

#2 = Larger CDM & accessories case - AmazonBasics Universal Travel Case for Small Electronics and Accessories -Black ($10.49) - This fits the CDM,  the USB cable, a Lightning to USB converter as well as the wall charger. I'd use something like this if I needed to bring the whole unit, including the charger (which is pretty big). 

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002VPE1QG?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00

I am sure there are other options out there, but these two seemed like good choices and they are both cheap and easily available on Amazon. 

Cheers all

Jul 8, 2015 at 10:43 PM Post #22 of 35
Good Lord I don't know why we have two CDM threads now. Anyone that's interested in reading reviews and more insider tips from the designers can click here for the other CDM thread.

That was a good suggestion for a portable case but personally I may prefer a faster way of opening it than a whole circular unzipping process 
cool.gif

Jul 8, 2015 at 10:46 PM Post #23 of 35
Also another question for Ken: is this still available in silver? I like that color a lot more than black.

And which tubes has it currently been shipping with stock? I really love the review from somebody who got their CDM about a week ago and hope mine would use the same tubes too.

Jul 8, 2015 at 11:16 PM Post #24 of 35
Awesome!  Thx, so much for the review.  I bought the larger CDM case.  It looks good and what I was looking for; for a very low price!

CJ
:)

Quote:
  So have been doing some experimentation with cases for the CDM and have found two options that seem to work pretty well. 

#1 = Smaller CDM-only case - HDE 5.2 inch Hard Case GPS Case ($7.99) - This fits the CDM and the USB cable nicely, and is almost custom fit for the size of the unit. I'd use something like this if traveling short distances and didn't need to take the charger or anything else with it other than the USB cable. 

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0096DM9YC?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00

#2 = Larger CDM & accessories case - AmazonBasics Universal Travel Case for Small Electronics and Accessories -Black ($10.49) - This fits the CDM,  the USB cable, a Lightning to USB converter as well as the wall charger. I'd use something like this if I needed to bring the whole unit, including the charger (which is pretty big). 

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002VPE1QG?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00

I am sure there are other options out there, but these two seemed like good choices and they are both cheap and easily available on Amazon. 

Cheers all

Oct 8, 2015 at 4:23 PM Post #26 of 35
Just got my Alo Continental Dual Mono yesterday. I have Audirvana as the source of music and cannot get DSD to work even with the configuration recommended by Alo (DSD over PCM1.0)
All the other frequencies can be enabled on the ALO
So meanwhile I am using my Hugo as a DAC for DSD. Pretty good combination
My Mac is upgraded to El Capitan

Thanks

Oct 8, 2015 at 9:18 PM Post #27 of 35
Just got my Alo Continental Dual Mono yesterday. I have Audirvana as the source of music and cannot get DSD to work even with the configuration recommended by Alo (DSD over PCM1.0)
All the other frequencies can be enabled on the ALO
So meanwhile I am using my Hugo as a DAC for DSD. Pretty good combination
My Mac is upgraded to El Capitan

Thanks

DSD64 or DSD128?

Oct 8, 2015 at 9:23 PM Post #28 of 35

DSD64

Oct 8, 2015 at 9:25 PM Post #29 of 35
DSD64 or DSD128?

DSD64. I have one DSD128 but I did not tried it as the mainstream is DSD64.
I still have a mac that I have not upgraded to El Capitan, so I will try on this one

So I checked on my other mac and the DSD is showing as a Blue LED on the Alo, it should be the white one right for an ISO SACD files played from Audirvana?

Edit: On EL Capitan: I tried the DSD128 too and same blue light... there is sound however so it is decoding which is not the case with DSD64
The Hugo has no problem to see these file in native DSD and decode them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back