Almost the worst possible scenario
Jul 28, 2008 at 4:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

ChicagoNB

500+ Head-Fier
So, I woke up this morning and realized I left my ipod and my UE 11s in my office. I freaked out, not that they would be gone but that I didn't have them for the daily commute.

I was left with two options. 1. Go with nothing (that wasn't going to happen) or 2. Use iBuds. I chose number 2. I never really appreciated how AWFUL iBuds were till today (sorry to those who use iBuds).

It was a painful commute. I'll never make that mistake again!

Jul 28, 2008 at 6:23 PM Post #2 of 13
Please consider yourself fortunate that this scenario is the worst thing you have to deal with today. However, I certainly can sympathize-yesterday, I thought the 9V in my 2MOVE had gone dead and was forced to listen through ERPs out of my iPod's headphone out!!

Jul 28, 2008 at 7:14 PM Post #4 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by malldian /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are the ERPs really that bad or horrible out of the iPod?

No, not at all. As a matter of fact, they were quite a bit better than I remembered. My reply was my (lame?) attempt at humor.

Jul 28, 2008 at 7:23 PM Post #5 of 13
If I got stuck in a position between choosing music with iBuds or no music for a trip etc., I'd go for the iBuds anytime. And I wouldn't sit there the whole time feeling sorry for myself and thinking about how awful they are; I'd enjoy them.

Jul 28, 2008 at 7:34 PM Post #6 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Oya? /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If I got stuck in a position between choosing music with iBuds or no music for a trip etc., I'd go for the iBuds anytime. And I wouldn't sit there the whole time feeling sorry for myself and thinking about how awful they are; I'd enjoy them.

I second that. While the iBuds are absolutely terrible compared to what's out there, when you get down to it, they're still good earphones. That is, you can hear the music well enough to enjoy it. You don't need anything else, so nothing makes Apple's earbuds bad except for comparison. If you have no other headphones available, then there isn't any comparison!
tongue.gif

Jul 28, 2008 at 8:47 PM Post #7 of 13
Honestly, I still enjoy low bitrate mp3's, so iBuds are not unimaginable.

I guess enjoyment is subjective -- really, if I had a choice between listening to iBuds or nothing, I'd probably elect for nothing, simply because then I'd have to transport the iBuds back home, along with my main rig.

(Call me crazy if you wish)
biggrin.gif

Jul 29, 2008 at 2:22 PM Post #9 of 13
Been there, done that!
Forgot my iPod nano / Tomahawk / UM2 one day, when I got a lift home and rushed away. Did not notice until the next day, when I prepared in the hallway. Bugger!
frown.gif

Jul 29, 2008 at 3:34 PM Post #10 of 13
My ears only bled for a few minutes. iBuds aren't totally awful compared to nothing but when you have 2 pair of UE 11 (UE made a mistake and let me keep the misstake so no I didn't purchase two pair. just got VERY lucky) and a pair of UE 10 NOT at your disposal, the thought of using iBuds IS traumatic. I agree for what they are, they are not too bad in comparison.

I've never run out and left them behind so this was a first experience and hopefully last.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 29, 2008 at 3:54 PM Post #11 of 13
I nearly made the mistake of throwing out my iPod because the iBuds sounded so inconceivably horrible when I tried them, just for kicks. I actually grew irate when I read some threads on this forum discussing the iBuds as a decent and viable earbud option some while ago.

Jul 29, 2008 at 6:42 PM Post #12 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Planar_head /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Honestly, I still enjoy low bitrate mp3's, so iBuds are not unimaginable.

This may constitute blasphemy on an audiophile forum, but I'll take a really good recording/master as a 128kbps file over an OK recording/master on CD. Any day. I hadn't listened to low bitrate mp3s in a long time, but my daughter recently sent me an iTunes gift certificate. I downloaded Alison Krauss and Union Station Live (128kbps) among other things. That put me on a bit of a bluegrass roll, and I listened to Emmylou's 80s opus "Blue Kentucky Girl." That's not what I'd call a particularly bad recording, but the Alison Krauss record is a particularly good one; it is just full of life and glow and tone. And it sounds better at 128kbps than the Emmylou album sounds in lossless. I don't even think it's a matter of opinion, I'd lay down serious money that I could play the two for almost any unknowing audiophile, ask which one is the low bitrate file and get the wrong answer almost every time.

90% of it is in the recording and the transducers. Everything else is tweaking the last 10%.

Tim

Jul 29, 2008 at 7:46 PM Post #13 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by tfarney /img/forum/go_quote.gif
90% of it is in the recording and the transducers. Everything else is tweaking the last 10%.

Tim

Not blasphemy at all, its just a lot of people really need that 10 (read: .01)%.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back