Almost ready to pull the trigger on the SR225s
Sep 2, 2007 at 8:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 30

jfindon

500+ Head-Fier
Some of you may remember me wanting to buy either the SR-80s or the SR-225s, and I think I finally decided on the 225s that I can get for $169. Thing is, I have no current DAP other than my Zen Xtra which I hardly use and lost the cable to. I plan on buying a new one as soon as I see what Zune 2.0 will be like and if Creative comes out with another HDD based player.

So, does it make sense to buy headphones without having a dedicated audio player? I could still use them on my PC for listening to music at night I suppose, and it's not like I should be without a player for a long time, just the next couple months.

Grado isn't going to do any dramatic revisions to the 225s in the next few months are they?

Sep 2, 2007 at 8:43 PM Post #3 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Poboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i hope you have a sound card to use with the grado ?

I do, I have an Audigy 4 sound card and Logitech Z-560 speakers, so that shouldn't be a problem.

I could also still use them with my Xtra I guess if I ever find the cable. I'm not sure how my PDA would drive them, I doubt it would sound very good.

Sep 2, 2007 at 8:44 PM Post #4 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by jfindon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Grado isn't going to do any dramatic revisions to the 225s in the next few months are they?

I highly doubt it.

But yeah, if you have a good sound card (with a good headphone out, i.e. no unamped line out, or if you have an amp) then I'd say go for it.

Sep 2, 2007 at 8:45 PM Post #5 of 30
a dap isn't going to make any differnece from your computer sound card. even your zen xtra.
i'd say that you might be overextending yourself, especially if you don't intend on buying a headphone amp. the sr80s will sound great unamped, but you will need a 1/4" to 1/8" adapter to even listen to the 225s out of your computer/player. the sound quality differences will probably be minor as well unamped

Sep 2, 2007 at 8:51 PM Post #6 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by jfindon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I do, I have an Audigy 4 sound card and Logitech Z-560 speakers, so that shouldn't be a problem.

I could also still use them with my Xtra I guess if I ever find the cable. I'm not sure how my PDA would drive them, I doubt it would sound very good.

if thats an audigy 4 pro that you have , you will love the sr-225 out of the headphone out on the external hub/box.
if its just the audigy 4 card , that doesnt have a headphone out so you have to use your Xtra via the line out on your card. then you can consider the sr-225.

Sep 2, 2007 at 8:52 PM Post #7 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by judas391 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
a dap isn't going to make any differnece from your computer sound card. even your zen xtra.
i'd say that you might be overextending yourself, especially if you don't intend on buying a headphone amp. the sr80s will sound great unamped, but you will need a 1/4" to 1/8" adapter to even listen to the 225s out of your computer/player. the sound quality differences will probably be minor as well unamped

I may get an amp somewhere down the line if I want to sit and be less mobile. I already knew about the adapter too. I want to buy headphones that I won't want to rush out and upgrade later on, so I planned on going with the 225s because everyone said they were great. Not really going to change my mind on that.

I guess I'll think it over and decide if I want to wait until I'll get the most use out of them or just get them now and wait to use them a lot.

Sep 2, 2007 at 9:42 PM Post #8 of 30
funny to think of nice new sr225's sitting unused waiting for a better source.

I'd say if you are going to buy them irregardless, then use them from day one. They may reveal some shortcomings in your source, but they will still sound relatively good.
Then as you can, you go ahead and upgrade whatever you find the most fault with.

Sep 2, 2007 at 10:04 PM Post #9 of 30
Well I listen to a lot of music here at my computer through my speakers, so I can just use the headphones instead, so in that regard they'll get a lot of use.

I guess it'll come down to if I can find the cable for my Zen or not, if I can put more music on it I'll use that with the headphones until I get a new player.

Sep 2, 2007 at 10:31 PM Post #10 of 30
I have a Zen Xtra and it sounds great with my sr225's
rs1smile.gif

I mostly use v0 and my lowest bitrate files are v2 though, might not be as good if you have low bitrate files.

Also if you are speaking of the data cable, it is a standard USB cable with the small end ("B-type" end I think) for the player end, same as my RiO and my camera.

Sep 2, 2007 at 11:34 PM Post #11 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by NiceCans /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have a Zen Xtra and it sounds great with my sr225's
rs1smile.gif

I mostly use v0 and my lowest bitrate files are v2 though, might not be as good if you have low bitrate files.

Also if you are speaking of the data cable, it is a standard USB cable with the small end ("B-type" end I think) for the player end, same as my RiO and my camera.

Yep, that's the cable, I just don't feel like buying a new one if I have it here somewhere.

Most of my files are encoded over 200kbps.

Sep 3, 2007 at 1:01 AM Post #12 of 30
imho, if you don't need video support, stick with your zen xtra and save the money that you were going to spend on a "modern' dap on components for your headphones,etc.
other than aesthetics, there's no point in buying a new one just for "sound quality" reasons.. they are extremely minor

Sep 3, 2007 at 1:29 AM Post #13 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by judas391 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
imho, if you don't need video support, stick with your zen xtra and save the money that you were going to spend on a "modern' dap on components for your headphones,etc.
other than aesthetics, there's no point in buying a new one just for "sound quality" reasons.. they are extremely minor

My Zen is getting a weak headphone jack and I really can't stand the menus anymore. It's also a little too big to carry around. I just want something new and fresh, I've had this thing for like 4 years.

Sep 3, 2007 at 1:35 AM Post #14 of 30
Sounds exciting. For you new HDD Mp3 Player can I suggest you look at an iAudio?

http://www.cowonglobal.com/

They are made in Korea. They have no affiliation to microsoft or apple. They play every format you can throw at them. MP4, MP3, MP3Pro, Ogg, FLAC, Speac, WMA, you name it, it plays it.

Its also one of the few that supports VBR. If you listen to a VBR file on a iPod and then listen to it on a iAudio, you'll notice a huge different. Shows that iPod's do not support them. Probably Zune won't either. They play it back as CBR file and sounds bad. And VBR is a great thing to use to get the same quality sound back but in a smaller package. That and some say it improves sound, I don't know about that.

That and they look so HOT. And they are priced extremely competitively. And built solid.

Connectivity. These things will work with virtually anything. Camera. cell phone, computer. File transfer and such is easy.

I am not Cowon representative or salesperson, despite my rave above.

And you get JetAudio Plus for free with it. And this is my favorite media player. It plays every file I've thrown at it. MKV, AVI, WMP, Music Files, Streaming Online Radio. If you are a Anime Fan, it works with all your favorite codecs. With CCCP package (made by fansub groups for you) plays back everything perfectly. Also comes with easy CD Ripping for all your needs. Its a simple package. Of course you can still have modifying and playing around with Foobar2000. Or you can just use this baby to do EVERYTHING!!!!! And interface. Awsome. Looks like WinAmp. Then it looks like iTunes. Then it has bar mode, place the bar anywhere. Fun Fun Fun. Easy to use Hot Keys. Whether you are playing a game, doing homework, work, photoshop, never have to stop doing anything. Hot Keys, change volume, fast forward, rewind, next track. MMMM wonderful.

Back on topic, SR225, wee good luck and hope they sound as awsome as everyone says they do.

Sep 3, 2007 at 1:38 AM Post #15 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ruckus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sounds exciting. For you new HDD Mp3 Player can I suggest you look at an iAudio?

http://www.cowonglobal.com/

They are made in Korea. They have no affiliation to microsoft or apple. They play every format you can throw at them. MP4, MP3, MP3Pro, Ogg, FLAC, Speac, WMA, you name it, it plays it.

Its also one of the few that supports VBR. If you listen to a VBR file on a iPod and then listen to it on a iAudio, you'll notice a huge different. Shows that iPod's do not support them. Probably Zune won't either. They play it back as CBR file and sounds bad. And VBR is a great thing to use to get the same quality sound back but in a smaller package. That and some say it improves sound, I don't know about that.

That and they look so HOT. And they are priced extremely competitively. And built solid.

I am not Cowon representative or salesperson, despite my rave above.

Back on topic, SR225, wee good luck and hope they sound as awsome as everyone says they do.

You know, I was excited to hear about them offering a HDD player, but I guess I'm the minority who doesn't like the looks at all. Maybe I just need to see one in person or something, but I don't like how it seems to be one of those units that you hold sideways all the time, something about that just doesn't sit well with me. I like the conventional MP3 player look. I don't know, I'm waiting until all the new ones are out and I'll make a decision based on what the companies offer. This is why I wish there was more info about Zune 2.0 and if Creative was making another HDD based unit, so I could get a head start.

EDIT: Well the X5 doesn't look too bad aside from the tiny screen. I thought that one was out for awhile though, are there newer HDD models coming out?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back