Alleviate Symptoms of Tinnitus
Oct 19, 2008 at 6:59 AM Post #2 of 58
Hey nuphones, thanks for the tip; tried it, worked, but was wondering... if i do this everytime i head the buzzing, will it make it go away temporarly ? or just the time i'm snapping my head?

How are you handling the buzzing? Is it annoying / depressing to you? I find that if i start to think about it (or read about the topic), i get anxiety.

And one last question, is this the first step towards hearing loss? Do we (should we) quit the hobby?

Thanks

Oct 19, 2008 at 7:59 AM Post #3 of 58
Doesn't necessarily mean you should quit the hobby. Just turn the volume as low as you can while still being able to hear/enjoy the music. The reason headphones are dangerous is because they are so close to the ear, whereas speakers there is some distance that provides some safety, the loudness gets lower over that distance.

Another thing to watch out for, as people get used to the current volume, they tend to turn it up little by little sometimes, I deal with this by starting even lower than the normal volume and then going up. A rule of thumb is it shouldn't be any louder than the voice of someone you have a conversation with. My old roommate would turn up his generic open headphones so loud that it was like speakers that you could hear throughout the room, his hearing will not be so good when he is old...

Oct 19, 2008 at 8:36 AM Post #4 of 58
Oooops. I seriusly need to find out how loud im playing.IM PLAYING SO LOUD. Can someone please post a link to a device to messure DB in HPs? and maby a little desciption on how to use it? I want to be able to listen to headphones the rest of my life
confused_face_2.gif
k701smile.gif

Oct 19, 2008 at 12:43 PM Post #5 of 58
Hi Nuphones - many thanks for pointing out this 'remedy'. I must say that a quick check out of it has relieved my hissing tinnitus!!! Just how long this remains effective remains to be seen but it is the first thing in years that has helped me. Perhaps believing in it will help its effectiveness as a lot of my problem is made worse by letting it get me down - sometimes when listening to music I forget about the hissing and it goes away for a spell - maybe this skull tapping trick will give something positive to try. I do notice that there is a sound inside my ears when I do it like shaking a little tin with sand in it !!!

Oct 19, 2008 at 1:34 PM Post #6 of 58
Hah!

Unbelieveably silly and goofy....but...

It seems to work!

Well, 10 mins in, anyway.

How about that?

FWIW, I've had some tinnitus present (for instance, when alone in a dead quiet room bedroom) for as long as I can remember.

Then again, I got my first electric guitar (and a really nice 40W Vox tube-head) at the age of 10.
rolleyes.gif

Oct 19, 2008 at 5:09 PM Post #7 of 58
I have had since I was about ten. Some think it is linked to TMJ, as my jaw was thrown out of alignment by the dentist around that time. Nothing seems to fix it though beyond risky surgery. Point being, tinnitus isn't always about hearing damage.

Oct 21, 2008 at 5:35 PM Post #10 of 58
Here's another possible solution. I have yet to try it myself. It involves homeopathic remedies (I'll have to do some research on what that entails).

Ellen Currie's Long Journey With Tinnitus

Feel free to report back. Anyone with relief measures feel free to post here and we'll make this an official "remedies" thread.

One thing that I can recommend: get proper sleep. If you don't get proper sleep, you'll get stressed out, which can potentially exacerbate symptoms. Second, proper sleep restores the immune system. Very important.

I've become a bit of a hermit recently, but I'm going to get back out there, albeit a bit more cautiously than before.

I strongly urge people to stay away from prolonged exposure to high treble output headphones. I'm sticking with my darker and very excellent portapros for now, but won't return to headphone listening until ALL symptoms subside.

Emotionally speaking, this has been trying to say the least. But I know for certain I will beat this.

Oct 21, 2008 at 5:39 PM Post #11 of 58
I don't know about you, but I have given up ALL headphone listening beyond say, 5 minutes at a time, at low volumes, for the time being. Until ALL symptoms alleviate. Better safe than sorry.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Morinoko /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey nuphones, thanks for the tip; tried it, worked, but was wondering... if i do this everytime i head the buzzing, will it make it go away temporarly ? or just the time i'm snapping my head?

How are you handling the buzzing? Is it annoying / depressing to you? I find that if i start to think about it (or read about the topic), i get anxiety.

And one last question, is this the first step towards hearing loss? Do we (should we) quit the hobby?

Thanks

Oct 21, 2008 at 6:04 PM Post #12 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by nuphones /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't know about you, but I have given up ALL headphone listening beyond say, 5 minutes at a time, at low volumes, for the time being. Until ALL symptoms alleviate. Better safe than sorry.

That really isn't necessary. Just buy an SPL meter, and make sure you are listening at less than 80db peak, A weighted. Here is a picture of how the SPL meter should be coupled to the headphones:

splmeterwithDT770.jpg

Oct 21, 2008 at 6:56 PM Post #13 of 58
I mostly use C weighting to be on the safe side.

Hearing damage is a product of sound level and time of exposure. I listen many hours a day, and thus keep my C weighted peaks below 70dB, and mostly around 60dB.

I used to have 80dB C weighted peaks as standard, and listen many hours a day. Today I have a ringing in my left ear, not loud enough for it to be a hinder, but it's a little annoying at times. I can't be sure that my past headphone listening habits is the cause of it, but I think it might be.

Oct 27, 2008 at 1:51 AM Post #15 of 58
Hello everyone!

I just wanted to check in and see how everyone's doing. Using this little technique I discovered, has given me a sense of control over this issue, even though I'm still working on defeating it completely.

How is everyone doing? Do you feel a greater sense of power over this?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back