All things Metrum Acoustics
Mar 5, 2016 at 11:23 AM Post #17 of 1,450
[/IMG]I got them both. Thank you so much! I can't wait to use these. Just so you know this is the error message I would get.

Mar 5, 2016 at 10:50 PM Post #18 of 1,450
  My Hex definitely requires 5v from my laptop for a handshake to take place.  After that, it doesn't need the power feed as it has it's own USB input power supply.

OK, for iOS > CCK > Hex, I would recommend getting the Uptone Audio USB Regen (everyone should try it, in my opinion) to supply power to the DAC, in addition to improving the signal integrity - which actually decreases the amount of psy noise the DAC itself generates.  And if you want to get rid of the +5V wire after the handshake, you can add an Elijah Audio Konvertible Lite 160 USB cable, that could be inserted between the USB Regen and the Hex USB Input.  

The Konvertible Lite 160 is their shortest cable that allows you to disconnect the potentially noisy +5V wire after the handshake, once the music starts playing.

http://www.elijahaudio.com/

Both the +5V and the GND wires are longer than the twisted and sheathed, but intentionally unshielded data wires.

This cable would replace the short, solid adapter that's included with the USB Regen, which would itself be fed by your choice of a longer USB cable from your iOS > CCK.  The USB Regen does not require power from the source - so the iOS devices with CCK don't present a problem.  

Even for people using PCs or laptops as USB sources, given that the USB Regen does not require power from the source, you could use a 3-wire USB cable (with only GND and data wires) or a longer Elijah Audio Konvertible (leaving the +5V disconnected at all times) or use your favorite 4-wire USB cable in combination with an SBooster VBus2 Isolater inserted at the source end of the USB cable (to block the +5V pin before any laptop/PC power gets into the cable - which could cause noise due to capacitive coupling.

https://www.sbooster.com/sbooster-tweaks/sbooster-vbus-isolator

This simply blocks Pin 1 (+5V) at the source.

Mike

Mar 6, 2016 at 10:04 PM Post #20 of 1,450
thank you all for these helpful suggestions. I ordered the equipment this weekend. Will keep you posted.

Anyone here using these configurations with Apple TV to make it wireless to the DAC?

Mar 6, 2016 at 11:49 PM Post #21 of 1,450
thank you all for these helpful suggestions. I ordered the equipment this weekend. Will keep you posted

That would be good. Thanks

Mar 26, 2016 at 7:03 PM Post #22 of 1,450
This didn't work. I'm sad. I think it may be a *software* issue? See my components.
[/IMG][/IMG]

Mar 26, 2016 at 7:47 PM Post #24 of 1,450
Thanks Mike. I got a TeraDac 5V.

I have the USB (printer cable end) into the Metrum Hex doing a handshake with a Cardas USB.

On the source side, the Cardas is connected to an Apple Camera Adapter going into my iPhone 6s.

Any help would be much appreciated. Thank you kindly. Sal

Mar 26, 2016 at 8:10 PM Post #25 of 1,450
OK, for iOS > CCK > Hex, I would recommend getting the Uptone Audio USB Regen (everyone should try it, in my opinion) to supply power to the DAC, in addition to improving the signal integrity - which actually decreases the amount of psy noise the DAC itself generates.  And if you want to get rid of the +5V wire after the handshake, you can add an Elijah Audio Konvertible Lite 160 USB cable, that could be inserted between the USB Regen and the Hex USB Input.  

The Konvertible Lite 160 is their shortest cable that allows you to disconnect the potentially noisy +5V wire after the handshake, once the music starts playing.

Both the +5V and the GND wires are longer than the twisted and sheathed, but intentionally unshielded data wires.

This cable would replace the short, solid adapter that's included with the USB Regen, which would itself be fed by your choice of a longer USB cable from your iOS > CCK.  The USB Regen does not require power from the source - so the iOS devices with CCK don't present a problem.  

Even for people using PCs or laptops as USB sources, given that the USB Regen does not require power from the source, you could use a 3-wire USB cable (with only GND and data wires) or a longer Elijah Audio Konvertible (leaving the +5V disconnected at all times) or use your favorite 4-wire USB cable in combination with an SBooster VBus2 Isolater inserted at the source end of the USB cable (to block the +5V pin before any laptop/PC power gets into the cable - which could cause noise due to capacitive coupling.

https://www.sbooster.com/sbooster-tweaks/sbooster-vbus-isolator

This simply blocks Pin 1 (+5V) at the source.

Mike
Here's a noob question.

If there is noise / interference coming through via my connection of my Mac to my Metrum dac what would I be hearing? Is it a case of what I'd be hearing or not hearing?

Mar 26, 2016 at 8:57 PM Post #26 of 1,450
I just ordered the Elijah Konvertible Lite. I hope it works.

Does this definitely work for you with the IOS > CCK > Hex? 

And I'm going to use the Jitterbug that I have. as the SBooster VBus2 Isolater isn't available in the states.....

Mar 26, 2016 at 9:03 PM Post #27 of 1,450
And I forgot that I got the Regen too earlier this month. I've seen that they're not shipping out until late March. So I'll wait. Thank you again!

Apr 19, 2016 at 1:16 AM Post #28 of 1,450
So I got the Regen and the cable that Mike suggested. I'm still getting the SPIF Error.

The Metrum required software to work via a CD -Rom.

Is there an app I need to use with my iPhone or iPad to do the same?

I'm kind of confused by this.

Thanks again for your help.

Apr 21, 2016 at 8:01 PM Post #29 of 1,450
Thanks Mike. I got a TeraDac 5V.

I have the USB (printer cable end) into the Metrum Hex doing a handshake with a Cardas USB.

On the source side, the Cardas is connected to an Apple Camera Adapter going into my iPhone 6s.

Any help would be much appreciated. Thank you kindly. Sal

I just ordered the Elijah Konvertible Lite. I hope it works.

Does this definitely work for you with the IOS > CCK > Hex? 

And I'm going to use the Jitterbug that I have. as the SBooster VBus2 Isolater isn't available in the states.....

And I forgot that I got the Regen too earlier this month. I've seen that they're not shipping out until late March. So I'll wait. Thank you again!

So I got the Regen and the cable that Mike suggested. I'm still getting the SPIF Error.

I've been away from Head-Fi for a couple of weeks and am only now seeing your recent posts - but I'm confused, too.

Please tell me if this accurately describes your current chain (and, if not, please try testing this chain):

iPhone 6s > CCK > Cardas USB cable (four-wire) > Uptone Audio USB Regen > Elijah Konvertible Lite 160 (leaving the red +5V wire connected, initially) > Metrum Hex USB input

In my experience, to avoid seeing the error you are seeing on your iDevice, you should provide power to the USB Regen before you connect the CCK to the Lightening jack.

But even if you leave all the cables connected, powering off the USB Regen, then powering it back on, will make the error you are seeing, go away.  

In short, the iDevice cannot supply power to anything through the CCK and it wants to see a signal of some kind when the CCK is connected.  The error you're describing is not necessarily fatal on first seeing it. Leave the cables connected as they were and try powering up the DAC, then powering up the USB Regen - or - powering up the USB Regen than powering up the DAC.

Mike

Apr 25, 2016 at 7:39 PM Post #30 of 1,450

If I am not mistaken, I think your problem has as much to do with the M2Tech driver board inside the Metrum deck as the power itself.

If you get your hands on a USB to SPDIF converter that uses the XMOS boards in lieu of M2Tech, and supplies its own power, you should be good to go as you can bypass the USB input all together. Which would allow you to connect your computer via USB and your iOS device via SPDIF. 

The iFi iLink is relatively affordable option, alot of people are fans of Chinese brands Gustard, Melodious and Breeze audio USB to SPDIF converters.
The Gustard u12, Melodious MX-U8 and Breeze DU-U8.

I personally use the ART Legato but it is a bit pricey.

Or you can buy the iFi iDSD, or the Cayin  C5DAC or the Centrance M8 which include on board amps and dacs but also have digital out so you can connect them to your Metrum kit via SPDIF.

The Cayin is only $200 and you get a battery powered USB converter that also has a S E R I O U S headphone amp and good dac that you can take with you on the go. 

But before you blow any more money, let me confirm, I'll get ahold of my friends C5 tomorrow to confirm that it works with my Metrum Deck so you aren't spending any more chasing on a wild goose chase. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back