All Rounder Headphone ~300
Feb 16, 2015 at 6:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

devilmonk

100+ Head-Fier
Looking for a big soundstage / instrument seperation.

Want it to be mostly neutral, since my music tastes really vary (rap, soft-rock, rock, country, chillstep, jazz, pop, etc, pretty much everything except harsh dubstep, heavy metal, and aggressive rock), but I also really want vocals to shine on it. Punchy sub-bass - bass would also be nice if I'm not asking for too much.
Comfort - On days off, I'll be on my computer sometimes over 8 hours. Comfort is a must.
Build quality should be good. I tend to drop my headphones quite a bit. Detachable cable would be very much prefered, since I have the V-Moda's Boompro mic cable with me.

I have the Asus Xonar soundcard, so I can use headphones up to around 150 Ohms no problem. Other than that, price of amp should be considered too.

Open or closed, Closed preferred.

Currently thinking of -

Mad Dogs 3.2 (currently having a bit of trouble with them accepting my visa)
Sennheiser HD598 (Would have to get the modmic, since the jack is different for my BoomMic)
Beyerdynamics DT770 (having trouble finding them at a decent price since I'm in Canada. Also not detatchable cable, so I would need modmic)

Feb 16, 2015 at 8:41 PM Post #2 of 11
  Looking for a big soundstage / instrument seperation.

Want it to be mostly neutral, since my music tastes really vary (rap, soft-rock, rock, country, chillstep, jazz, pop, etc, pretty much everything except harsh dubstep, heavy metal, and aggressive rock), but I also really want vocals to shine on it. Punchy sub-bass - bass would also be nice if I'm not asking for too much.
Comfort - On days off, I'll be on my computer sometimes over 8 hours. Comfort is a must.
Build quality should be good. I tend to drop my headphones quite a bit. Detachable cable would be very much prefered, since I have the V-Moda's Boompro mic cable with me.

I have the Asus Xonar soundcard, so I can use headphones up to around 150 Ohms no problem. Other than that, price of amp should be considered too.

Open or closed, Closed preferred.

Currently thinking of -

Mad Dogs 3.2 (currently having a bit of trouble with them accepting my visa)
Sennheiser HD598 (Would have to get the modmic, since the jack is different for my BoomMic)
Beyerdynamics DT770 (having trouble finding them at a decent price since I'm in Canada. Also not detatchable cable, so I would need modmic)

What about SoundMagic HP100 (or 150)?
http://noblehifi.blogspot.com.ar/2012/10/soundmagic-hp100-review.html

Best Luck!

Feb 16, 2015 at 8:49 PM Post #3 of 11
I actually had that headphone and returned it. Its sound was pretty much what I was looking for (lacked a bit in bass), but its build quality was absolutely awful. It broke within a few weeks, specifically the rotating part holding the cups.

Feb 17, 2015 at 11:05 PM Post #4 of 11
Bump!

Also, figured out the problems with the Mad Dogs 3.2. I didn't realize Canada's economy was so **** right now, $339 (with shipping and handling) is $433 here with paypals currency exchange. $433 + a potential $100 amp, I don't want to be paying upwards $530 for cans.

Some headphones are roughly the same price here in Canada, for example, the HD598 is $150 from Amazon (currently out of stock)

Feb 18, 2015 at 1:36 AM Post #5 of 11
Update* 

Found out that I can order a few headphones off amazon.com, one of which being HiFiMan-400, so adding that to the list.

Edit*

Also most beyerdynamic's ship to Canada as well.
The sound signature of the Hifiman's are pretty much what I'm looking for from what I'm reading, but the stupid cable design, the massive sound leakage (even for open headphones, their so loud), and the weight of it are really turning me off. It's mainly the cable design thats turning me off.

Feb 18, 2015 at 9:51 AM Post #6 of 11
  Update* 

Found out that I can order a few headphones off amazon.com, one of which being HiFiMan-400, so adding that to the list.

Edit*

Also most beyerdynamic's ship to Canada as well.
The sound signature of the Hifiman's are pretty much what I'm looking for from what I'm reading, but the stupid cable design, the massive sound leakage (even for open headphones, their so loud), and the weight of it are really turning me off. It's mainly the cable design thats turning me off.

There are other closed-back options like the Yamaha MT220 and the M-Audio Q40, both seem quite solid. Yamahas are probably a bit brighter.

Feb 18, 2015 at 6:08 PM Post #7 of 11
Yamaha's cost an outragous $340 here in Canada
http://www.amazon.ca/ElectricalCentre-HPH-MT220-Yamaha-Headphones/dp/B009F8WRXG

HE-400 seems like its leagues better than the Q40, and I'm looking for a similar signature to the HE-400 basically.

Feb 18, 2015 at 7:20 PM Post #9 of 11
  Yamaha's cost an outragous $340 here in Canada
http://www.amazon.ca/ElectricalCentre-HPH-MT220-Yamaha-Headphones/dp/B009F8WRXG

HE-400 seems like its leagues better than the Q40, and I'm looking for a similar signature to the HE-400 basically.

Open headphones are almost always better than closed-back headphones.

Both HE-400 and DT990 are open back headphones that have powerful bass (vs other open back headphones) and both have bright treble.
DT990s are really comfortable, HE400s are quite heavy.
DT990s are probably better in terms of soundstage capabilities.
HE400s have more linear bass and different midrange presentation.

The right pick is down to preference.

Feb 18, 2015 at 7:58 PM Post #10 of 11
So DT990 Pro 250 Ohms is what your recommending instead?

http://www.amazon.com/Beyerdynamic-DT-990-Pro-250-Professional-Acoustically-Applications/dp/B0011UB9CQ/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1424307478&sr=1-1&keywords=dt990

These ship to Canada, so I can potentially obtain them. How are the vocals on these? I really want vocals to shine.

Feb 19, 2015 at 12:47 PM Post #11 of 11
  So DT990 Pro 250 Ohms is what your recommending instead?

http://www.amazon.com/Beyerdynamic-DT-990-Pro-250-Professional-Acoustically-Applications/dp/B0011UB9CQ/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1424307478&sr=1-1&keywords=dt990

These ship to Canada, so I can potentially obtain them. How are the vocals on these? I really want vocals to shine.

Well, DT990 has a very natural midrange, it's lush, and smooth. As far as you listen to properly recorded vocals (let's say, 85% of the 'audiophile quality' music and 40% of the 'consumer quality' music), they'll shine.

With over compressed recordings (Loudness War), and/or sibilant vocals, DT990s tend to be a tad bright, specially if you listen to music quite loud.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back