All of my useable headphones are falling appart.
Sep 15, 2009 at 7:02 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

Kayito-san

100+ Head-Fier
This is starting to get upsetting;

First, my Grado 225 cable frayed-- I didn't register them when I bought them, so I can't get them serviced for free. They're functional, but quite literally hanging on by a wire.
Second, my day-to-day headphones, Sennheiser CX300-B's are coming apart from constant use.
Thirdly, just now, I tried to test out my UE Metro.fi 2's against my Sennheisers (I barely used my UEs at all when I got them) only to have the left bud conk out when I tried to clean it. Basically brand new UEs, now kaput.

What's more, I have zilch income, because I'm a University student.

Are UEs generally so unreliable? I think I may have dented the mesh in the earphone (hardly noticeably) so I don't understand how it could've been my fault.

Sep 15, 2009 at 7:26 AM Post #2 of 26
Hey, I am a poor student too, though I have some savings and a source of measly income. Last week, I managed to break a video card, a motherboard on another computer, and finally a HD650 driver.

The vid card was cheap and upgrade season for vid cards is nearing (5xxx series launch thought to be on 9/22), the mobo had other problems and probably deserved a replacement anyway. The HD650 driver had some buzzing that I have been trying to get rid of at no avail.

Yeah, I know it all sounds like justification on my part
smily_headphones1.gif
oh well

Sep 17, 2009 at 5:32 PM Post #3 of 26
Sounds like an expensive week, one way or the other. (Considering the starving student budget) Good that you have a job, though. I need one of those.

...badly...

I'm still wondering, though, if anybody else suffered from UltimateEars Reliability. Am I the only one on this boat?

Sep 17, 2009 at 8:30 PM Post #4 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kayito-san /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is starting to get upsetting;

First, my Grado 225 cable frayed-- I didn't register them when I bought them, so I can't get them serviced for free. They're functional, but quite literally hanging on by a wire.
Second, my day-to-day headphones, Sennheiser CX300-B's are coming apart from constant use.
Thirdly, just now, I tried to test out my UE Metro.fi 2's against my Sennheisers (I barely used my UEs at all when I got them) only to have the left bud conk out when I tried to clean it. Basically brand new UEs, now kaput.

What's more, I have zilch income, because I'm a University student.

Are UEs generally so unreliable? I think I may have dented the mesh in the earphone (hardly noticeably) so I don't understand how it could've been my fault.

I don't know about UE, but the grado problem sounds like an easy fix. If you can't do it yourself, I'm sure there is a kind canadian head-fier who can do it for you, for free, provided you pay shipping (or live close to you).

Sep 18, 2009 at 3:25 AM Post #5 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by limpidglitch /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't know about UE, but the grado problem sounds like an easy fix. If you can't do it yourself, I'm sure there is a kind canadian head-fier who can do it for you, for free, provided you pay shipping (or live close to you).

Where on the forums should I ask about this?

Sep 18, 2009 at 4:35 AM Post #6 of 26
I would start browsing various grado threads and the DIY sub-forum for experienced Canadians. If you find someone that you'd like to do the work, shoot them a PM. I don't think posting a request like this in a standard DIY or other thread would be considered proper procedure, better to make a thread in the headphone FS sub-forum, and linking to it in your signature.
An alternative is to just acquire a soldering iron and some solder and get down to it yourself. Some standard solder and a standard iron from your local hardware store won't cost much at all, and after a few practice runs fixing your problem will be little problem. Chances are even that since there seems to be no short you don't even need to solder anything. Why don't you open the cups (tapered teaspoon f.ex.) and post a picture of what you see in the grado mod thread to get some opinions?

I now see that you already have some DIY experience. Fixing a grado cable is peanuts compared to a CMoy.

Sep 18, 2009 at 5:07 AM Post #7 of 26
Failed CMoy.
smily_headphones1.gif

Also, I'm at University; Heat-generating appliances are frowned upon in residences.

So I should make a recable request thread in the Headphones For Sale section?

Sep 18, 2009 at 5:28 AM Post #8 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kayito-san /img/forum/go_quote.gif

So I should make a recable request thread in the Headphones For Sale section?

For a re-cable I would expect to pay at least for materials, but if the original cable is mendable things would be cheaper. But yeah, FS section would be a good place to start.
Asking for opinions accompanied by a photo in the right places might also trigger something.

Sep 18, 2009 at 6:06 AM Post #10 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by limpidglitch /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For a re-cable I would expect to pay at least for materials, but if the original cable is mendable things would be cheaper. But yeah, FS section would be a good place to start.
Asking for opinions accompanied by a photo in the right places might also trigger something.

Fair enough; Frankly, I'm sick of this flakey stock cable, so I would probably get it upgraded. (Apparently "Black SIlver" is a widely appreciated brand/model of cable?)
--Also, pics attached.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jageur272 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oops...

If you can get away with it... You're golden. But I'm a 1st year, and this is September. If I'm going to bring in such appliances, the safest bet would probably be in a few months.

Sep 18, 2009 at 6:33 AM Post #11 of 26
A temporary fix for that would be some heat shrink and a hair dryer :p

I'm sure your school has a machine shop with a few soldering irons in it. Make sure you use a pencil tip iron. IMO, the best alternative is to DIY your own cable. Homegrownaudio makes some nice bulk wire. Buy about 22 feet of wire, ~5 feet of Techflex (or something similar), and a plug. Form the wire into 2 twisted pairs and then join them at a Y-Split with heatshrink. Then from the Y Split down, cover them with techflex and terminate (be sure to have plenty of strain relief!). I don't recommend a Litz because the Litz braid was originally designed for 1 signal use and crossing signals is generally a bad idea (twisted pairs is used for convenience). This should run you *at most* $35 if you get decent quality components.

Sep 18, 2009 at 7:33 AM Post #13 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by jageur272 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A temporary fix for that would be some heat shrink and a hair dryer :p

I'm sure your school has a machine shop...

It's possible... while I'm interested in trying to build my own cables, I'm not really comfortable with the idea of opening my Grados myself. It'll have to be a project for another day...

Quote:

Originally Posted by rds /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Send them to me and I'll fix that for you.
I could put on a new cable if you like too.

If you happen to be in Vancouver and attending UBC this could be very easy.

Sadly, I'm in Edmonton. However...

That is just so tempting... I'm a bit stunned, actually, at the timeliness of a volunteer. I'm very grateful for your offer; Further information can be found here. If you have any suggestions in terms of third-party cabling, I'm all ears, err-- eyes.

Sep 18, 2009 at 7:49 AM Post #15 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by rds /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Comment on cable added.
Shipping both ways will probably add another $20-25 total.
So parts and shipping looks like about $50.
Maybe you can wait a bit and see if a diyer in Edmonton offers a hand.

Thinking about that. There's an Edmonton meet on Saturday, so I'm going to keep my eyes and ears open; If nothing opens up, the job's yours if you want it. Again, I'd pay S&H, and for cabling, and a labor fee (or, you can keep the Grados for a week or so should you so desire.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back