ALL of my music on 160GB Archos 5 or my faves on iTouch 32GB?
Nov 23, 2008 at 2:29 AM Post #4 of 35
You should get the Archos 5 - that way, you can report back on the SQ so you can help with my decision on purchasing one.
tongue_smile.gif

Nov 23, 2008 at 3:05 AM Post #5 of 35
So far it seems like the Archos 5 doms the Touch... the only thing that would make me buy the Touch at this point is if it had much better SQ.

Nov 23, 2008 at 4:01 AM Post #7 of 35
I believe the Touch may a bit smaller and lighter. I can tell you from past experience, while it is nice to have all the music you own at your finger tips, it can equally become annoying skipping past the ones you do not want to hear. I find my 16GB touch is more than ok for the music I really listen too on a regular basis. I some times rotate music around some, but about 60% of what is on it stay's there.

Tim

Nov 23, 2008 at 3:10 PM Post #9 of 35
FWIW the Touch pawns the Archos 5 in SQ, but it DEAS allow carrying all your tunes with you. I'd go w/a Touch>LOD>Amp myself. Screw the Archos if it sounds "meh". Or, just get a Zune, sounds fantastic w/an amp through the HP out.

Nov 23, 2008 at 4:52 PM Post #10 of 35
The Archos 5 has very good SQ (good DAC, amp, and s/n), just as good or better than the Touch. The custom EQ function isn't so great on the Archos, but then again the Touch doesn't even off the feature at all.

As far as the choice of having your whole library available at any time or having to live with a subset (or having to guess what subset you will want to hear in advance and re-loading your player all the time) it's not even a close decision IMO, go with the high-capacity player.

Quote:

it can equally become annoying skipping past the ones you do not want to hear.

Have you ever heard of a 'playlist'?
wink.gif

Nov 23, 2008 at 6:21 PM Post #12 of 35
Think, the Archos players have NEVER been known for their SQ, mostly for their video capabilities. They've "improved" the SQ on the Archos 5 & 7, that doesn't mean they sound all that spectacular. Sorry, the Archos players sound like "crap", but they ROCK when it comes to the vids, and browsing the net (the 5 & 7 ONLY). Also, the volume is a bit low, improved from previous generations, but still to low (EU volume crap - but WORLDWIDE!!!).

No way in HELL does the 5 or 7 sound even CLOSE to the Touch!!!

Nov 23, 2008 at 7:50 PM Post #13 of 35
Well there is this other thread claiming that the iTouch skips with lossless files. Keep that in mind in your decision making.

Nov 23, 2008 at 8:31 PM Post #14 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by DJGeorgeT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well there is this other thread claiming that the iTouch skips with lossless files. Keep that in mind in your decision making.

Heh, valid point.
L3000.gif

Nov 23, 2008 at 9:08 PM Post #15 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by DJGeorgeT /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I just converted all of my lossless to 245 VKBPS this morning
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back