All-around solution for $200-250
Jul 28, 2009 at 9:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

-Daan-

New Head-Fier
Hi, I've been searching this forum for a while now but I can't really find a headphone that suits me more or less.
Here's the deal:

I'm a student so budget really is a problem, that's why my max is set at $250.
What is the best solution for this price (cheap amp + cheap headphone or only expensive headphone, I don't care...)

I like a warm sound (I had a hd212pro, and a px100) but would like more detail and clarity than the px100. I still like bass though. (forget about the hd212pro, those were crap
smily_headphones1.gif
).
I mainly listen to electronic music, dnb, jazz, sometimes rock.

I would like to use these in public so they musn't look goofy (not like the grado's, ad700) but e.g. the ultrasones are just right. I will be using them on the bus/train, so they must be closed. I'm listening to these also while studying so comfort is also an issue
happy_face1.gif
. That's why I'm looking for a circumaural model.

Last but not least: They must be build well since I'm going to travel alot with these. I heard that some ultrasones are not that sturdy for the high price you pay for them, is that right?
Source: sony walkman nwz-e438 or my hp pavillion laptop

Sorry for this long post, but does somebody has an idea what headphone (and amp) I should buy considering my preferences.

Greets Daan

P.s. I know that the headphone I want doesn't exist
biggrin.gif
, but I would like something that at least matches one of my criteria.

Jul 28, 2009 at 10:12 PM Post #2 of 10
ESW9: closed, portable, not goofy, good warmish musical sound (based on me wearing ESW10), not circumaural but quite comfortable (needs some reshifting after an hour or two, but really not that bad). Not really sturdy, but if you handle them with care (and you will, considering the price you pay
smile.gif
) you'll be all right.

Travel headphones do ring the HD25-1 bell, but I have not heard them long enough to describe them. Felt indestructible and sounded great when I tried, maybe you can find them somewhere close to try?

Jul 28, 2009 at 10:18 PM Post #4 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by paaj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ESW9: closed, portable, not goofy, good warmish musical sound (based on me wearing ESW10), not circumaural but quite comfortable (needs some reshifting after an hour or two, but really not that bad). Not really sturdy, but if you handle them with care (and you will, considering the price you pay
smile.gif
) you'll be all right.

Travel headphones do ring the HD25-1 bell, but I have not heard them long enough to describe them. Felt indestructible and sounded great when I tried, maybe you can find them somewhere close to try?

Yeah, I was gonna recommend the ESW9 as well. I haven't personally used them, but they seem to meet most of his criteria

Under $250, portable, rich bass, badass-looking, sealed-back (the isolation isn't all that great though, from what I've read), I dunno about sturdy though. Also, they're supra-aural, but they're also supposed to be super comfy, even for long listening sessions.

Amazon.com: ATH-ESW9A Portable Wooden Headphones: Electronics

Jul 28, 2009 at 10:24 PM Post #5 of 10
Isolation is not great, but enough for city use while still being safe
wink.gif

It is polished wood and as such vulnerable to scratches but a nice pouch is provided to keep them safe. A fitting carrying case only costs about $30.

Jul 28, 2009 at 11:42 PM Post #6 of 10
How is leakage on these?

In a decently quiet office environment, cubicles specifically, would you say that these leak enough sound to annoy people in adjacent cubes?

Jul 29, 2009 at 7:14 AM Post #7 of 10
Hmm, I think that the ESW is a bit fragile for me, I would constantly check it for scratches, and I really need a circumaural model because I have sweaty ears
smile.gif

But how about the M-50? Fwir they will sound a bit too neutral for me but is there a (cheap) amp I can use with it to give it a warmer sound?

How is the build quality of the ultrasone pro 550 considered and do I need an amp to get my preferenced sound sig? I once tried a Ultrasone HFI-2200 unamped and found them really flat sounding..

Greets Daan & thank you for your reply's

Jul 29, 2009 at 9:25 AM Post #8 of 10
The sennheiser HD25 are like a thinkpad (got em both), you know that there is better performance for the money. But hardly anything that's better built. The sound is not bad at all, but it could be better (it could allways be better).

Works like a charm with mp3-players and laptop computers. Been using mine for 4years now, and the pads are the only thing I've had to replace. And I've been using them when it's snowing and -20*c outside.

Jul 29, 2009 at 1:07 PM Post #9 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bredin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The sennheiser HD25 are like a thinkpad (got em both), you know that there is better performance for the money. But hardly anything that's better built. The sound is not bad at all, but it could be better (it could allways be better).

Works like a charm with mp3-players and laptop computers. Been using mine for 4years now, and the pads are the only thing I've had to replace. And I've been using them when it's snowing and -20*c outside.

But these are cans used for dj-ing right? Fwir they aren't the most comfortable cans because of their clamp, I also put them on in a store for a few minutes and I think my ears wil get hot very fast when I use these...
On the other side it's nice to hear that these can be run straight out of my walkman. Thanks for the tip.

Greets Daan

Jul 29, 2009 at 2:23 PM Post #10 of 10
They are used for alot of things. They are "studio" headphones.

The cusions are hard and not so comfortable in the beginning, but they will loosen up. The phones might clamp a bit, but otherwise they would fall of your head. I'm using mine + glasses for a couple of hours every day. I just take them of for like 5min when the ears are starting to "hurt".

Yes, they are pretty hot. But the question is if they are hotter or colder than any other closed headphone. That a closed headphone get hot does just feel like the laws of physics to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back