All around headphone advice (Gaming, Music, Movies)
Oct 23, 2013 at 3:19 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

HighlyFictional

New Head-Fier
Well this is my first day here so i should start getting involved a little question never hurts does it?

I have been getting into the audiophile and trying out every headphone and ear buds i can find though the only set i own is Sennheiser HD 219 for year 1/2 so plenty burn'd i can only use them as a reference for difference in sound. I am looking for a upgrade from the 219 a "all rounder" i've been using these and want to find something with more "thump" bass you know the kind felt? and over ear. My price limit is 120 $ i don't mind if its 10 dollars more but im very eager to get a new set (Impatient).

While looking around Head-Fi i found a few i like but i want some real audiophile advice. This will be like i said on the title for gaming so i would like something with a good soundstage don't think i expect the world in sound quality for 130 bucks. I have a sound blaster audigy se sound card and i have read the headphone guide and mad lust envy which i found some of these from. List being up to 130 ~

Logitech EU 4000 ~ Heard good things about the bass. Removable cord.

Samson SR850 ~ Price. Good reviews on Head-Fi

Superlux HD668B ~ Price. Neutral.

AKG K240 ~ Heard good things. removable cord

AT M50 ~ Everyone and their mother recommends this for gaming a bit over price range.

Creative aurvana Live! ~ Heard its warm but alright for gaming.

V-MODA Crossfade LP ~ Top line gaming headset? how?

Leaning towards ~ SR850 vs CAL

And any you might want to add in the price range greatly appreciated. Which set will be a improvement?

Oct 23, 2013 at 9:47 AM Post #2 of 9
The Samson SR850 are great, for there price.
Also you might consider swapping out the Audigy SE for an Asus Xonar DG sound card ($27).

Oct 23, 2013 at 3:59 PM Post #4 of 9
Thump in bass is known as sub bass. The problem with sub bass is that it's not particularly well produced on headphones. Even with speakers, it typically takes a sub to really get any feel of realism. Personally i prefer more punchy, upper  bass. Which would be more suited to you rock tastes anyway.

If your heart is set on sub bass go for the XB 700. For bass, it really does a nice job. It doesn't totally ruin everything, and it can be bearable for listening to rock.

For true sound stage, perhaps the SHR 840. FANTASTIC set of cans that. Fairly neutral with just a bit of a mid range hump. for a closed can it has a great sound stage and durability to rival any. It's a touch more expensive but entirely worth it in my opinion.

Oct 23, 2013 at 4:35 PM Post #6 of 9
  Thanks for responding. I plan on saving up for a X-Fi  Titanium HD is the DG good for its price in comparison to the Titanium? Oh the music will be rock and rap mostly but I listen to a little of everything.

Titanium HD, $150
Xonar DG, $17 after mail in rebate.
It's usually considered better to spend more on a headphone, then your sound card.

I would recommend getting the Sound Blaster Z (SB1500), $100 and spend the rest of your budget for headphones.
To me the Sennheiser HD558s, $130 are great at their price range.
Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro 250-Ohm, $155, a more lively sound.

Oct 23, 2013 at 5:28 PM Post #8 of 9
  Thanks for the reply. The DT990 look interesting but how can i spend the rest of the budget on headphones if the Z is 100$? And do you have any problem with the other headphones that i listed? Any experience that you can say why they're bad?

I just assumed when you talked about the $150 Titanium HD, your budget had gone up.

Budget setup
Samson SR-850 headphones, $50
Asus Xonar DG sound card, $27

Here are some more comfortable ear cushions ($16) for the SR-850.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/251355304978?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Users who are viewing this thread

Back