Alien DAC v1.1 Construction Thread
Feb 16, 2007 at 12:10 AM Post #601 of 1,562
Is it possible to get film caps to fit in the 1455C case? Film caps are great and all, but I don't think it's worth making the entire DAC bigger (not to mention the added shipping+handling cost... grumble grumble)

Feb 16, 2007 at 12:59 AM Post #602 of 1,562
You can definitely fit some boutique film caps into the default 1455C802 enclosure, but with the RCA's on the back, it'll be a tight squeeze for most caps of any reasonable capacitance. I'm pretty sure you could squeeze a pair of these Mundorf MCap ZN 0.33uF, maybe even the 0.47, but not much more so you'll need a high impedance pot to not have much bass roll-off. You definitely won't have any problems fitting in smaller non-boutique caps like Wima MKP's though, that should be nice on the lower priced side.

Feb 16, 2007 at 7:23 PM Post #603 of 1,562
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aflac /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is it possible to get film caps to fit in the 1455C case?

There are many metalized film caps that will fit. Polypropylene and foil is going to be a lot closer.

I've done some measuring for SBE 716P caps. If I can find some, the 100V .33µF would fit in the 1455C801 case easy.
There are some good candidates in the 200V range too.

But AES and Angela start at 400V. The best candiate they stock is .47µF 400V.

That cap is 1.65"x.68"x1.07" and is not going to fit in the 1455C801.
It should fit in the 1455C1201.

Feb 17, 2007 at 6:12 PM Post #604 of 1,562
Quote:

Originally Posted by Whitebread /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Guys, is it still possible to get boards for this DAC?

I talked to ALf about taking over the production and distribution of the boards and we have made an agreement to keep this project going. I have a batch of PC boards on order and will also provide a kit to build the DAC as well.

More detail coming soon.

JR

Feb 18, 2007 at 5:31 PM Post #606 of 1,562
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jrossel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I talked to ALf about taking over the production and distribution of the boards and we have made an agreement to keep this project going. I have a batch of PC boards on order and will also provide a kit to build the DAC as well.

More detail coming soon.

JR

Wow - that's great news!

Feb 19, 2007 at 7:15 AM Post #607 of 1,562
Great news. For those who don't know, Jrossel is also selling Betta 22 and sigma22 kits. I have not bought from him, but other have and from waht I read his kits are great! I look forward for this Jrossel.

Manuel

Feb 20, 2007 at 12:53 AM Post #609 of 1,562
Quote:

Originally Posted by MASantos /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Great news. For those who don't know, Jrossel is also selling Betta 22 and sigma22 kits. I have not bought from him, but other have and from waht I read his kits are great! I look forward for this Jrossel.

Manuel

I didnt realize it until now, but I have his site bookmarked, $56 seems hard to beat for a SOHA.

Feb 20, 2007 at 4:57 AM Post #610 of 1,562
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gross /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I didnt realize it until now, but I have his site bookmarked, $56 seems hard to beat for a SOHA.

Yep, does look like a pretty nice kit, could improve upon a few things (I mentioned this earlier in another thread), mainly change the voltage regs to TO220 package vs TO92, and definitely change the Opamp to an OPA2107 (very very nice) and you're good. The only other thing is, the kit doesn't include the expensive stuff like the transformer, POT, enclosure or any of the casing things.

Feb 20, 2007 at 11:47 AM Post #611 of 1,562
Quote:

Originally Posted by FallenAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yep, does look like a pretty nice kit, could improve upon a few things (I mentioned this earlier in another thread), mainly change the voltage regs to TO220 package vs TO92, and definitely change the Opamp to an OPA2107 (very very nice) and you're good. The only other thing is, the kit doesn't include the expensive stuff like the transformer, POT, enclosure or any of the casing things.

His new site, glassjaraudio.com, has a complete SOHA kit, with Hammond enclosure, toroid, tube, Alps RK27... everything. For 91,5 bucks!!! That's ridiculous...

That's Level 1 kit, so he might be making different kits with better parts for higher levels.

I bought my parts here in Finland and it cost well over 120 euros without any decent parts nor enclosure.

Feb 20, 2007 at 12:28 PM Post #612 of 1,562
Yeah, I'm beginning to think the DIY Headphone Amp community has acquired a major benefactor.
biggrin.gif
I don't understand how he can do it at those prices, either. IMHO, there's nothing to criticize with JRossel's offerings. Even if you bought one of his kits, then went out and purchased some boutique parts to swap out - you'd still be way ahead.

The only way to beat it may be to order in 4's or 8's, but that's been killing me financially, and I haven't even tried to sell anything yet.
frown.gif

Feb 20, 2007 at 7:43 PM Post #615 of 1,562
No, they're in the right position. There is another thing I need to try once I get back from work, maybe I'll have a work DAC after all (it is such a pain to bring the dac and the pimeta back and forth
rolleyes.gif
)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back