Alice in Chains ... are back?
Mar 23, 2006 at 5:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

Enverxis

Headphoneus Supremus
http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/152...n_chains.jhtml

Okay ...

Tour Dates and everything, and possibly a new album.

Who's going to be singing though
confused.gif
(better not be Maynard
rolleyes.gif
)

Mar 23, 2006 at 6:00 PM Post #2 of 26
Quote:

Kinney said Alice in Chains had been approached by the producers of "Rock Star" for the reality show's second season. They turned the offer down.

thank god.

didn't layne write most of the lyrics? i have a feeling without him the band is going to go more commercial.

Mar 23, 2006 at 8:57 PM Post #3 of 26
Im sorry, but AIC is not AIC without Staley...never will be.
Staley is an instrument that can never be replaced.
Want to start writing new material? get a new, permanent singer and change the bands name.

And BTW, the article refers to Zeps loss of Bonham and their choice to never play again as a group?
Loss of a drummer is worlds different than the loss of a singer, especially one who has branded the group with one of the most original singing voices/style in rock history.

Mar 23, 2006 at 9:04 PM Post #4 of 26
Alice in Chains died with Layne. These are a bunch of sad, sad rip-offs. I despise that kind of an attitude. Money-greedy, disrespectful have-beens.

R.I.P. Layne.
frown.gif

Mar 23, 2006 at 9:17 PM Post #5 of 26
AiC definitely died with Layne, unfortunately.

Layne was bigger than the band itself, and this will not change no matter what direction the remaining band members go in if they keep the AiC name.

I agree, losing a frontman is world's apart from losing a drummer in most cases. But someone like Bonham who is arguably in most people's top 3 drummers of all time is a bad example. (for clarity....Moon, Bonham, Peart)

Mar 23, 2006 at 9:40 PM Post #6 of 26
That's like saying The Doors died with Jim Morrison. Oh, wait... I see your point.

Mar 23, 2006 at 9:44 PM Post #7 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by SennFan
AiC definitely died with Layne, unfortunately.

Layne was bigger than the band itself, and this will not change no matter what direction the remaining band members go in if they keep the AiC name.

I agree, losing a frontman is world's apart from losing a drummer in most cases. But someone like Bonham who is arguably in most people's top 3 drummers of all time is a bad example. (for clarity....Moon, Bonham, Peart)

I hear you Senn, but Bonham could be replaced temporarily just for some reunion shows, no? Carrey, Peart, Portnoy...any one of these guys could step in (granted, with some work) and fill in on drums, and it would ultimately be a great Zep show.
Staleys voice on the other hand, simply impossible to duplicate.

Mar 23, 2006 at 10:02 PM Post #8 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by kwitel

It's not about the voice. It's about the songs being fragments of Layne Staley's soul.

Mar 23, 2006 at 10:18 PM Post #9 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by kwitel
I hear you Senn, but Bonham could be replaced temporarily just for some reunion shows, no? Carrey, Peart, Portnoy...any one of these guys could step in (granted, with some work) and fill in on drums, and it would ultimately be a great Zep show.

Bonham was replaced with his son Jason in the 80's for a while and managed fine. Phil Collins also stood in for Led Zeppelin I believe at Live Aid. Their performance at Live Aid was so bad (i.e. Plant's voice and Page was trashed) that it's not even on any of the recordings later released of that event. I think they went out gracefuly for the most part and opted to not do the Micheal Jordan thing.

ANYWAY...back to AiC!!!
icon10.gif

Mar 23, 2006 at 10:25 PM Post #10 of 26
I was listening to "Junkhead" 20 minutes ago.
I agree with all here, AIC without Staley is not AIC.
There are not many people around with his talent.
Too bad he threw it away like that.
I miss AIC.

Mar 23, 2006 at 10:51 PM Post #12 of 26
I think its fair enough that they want to get back together and play the songs again, although I do agree with the lot of you considering Layne is my favourite male vocalist, impossible to replace.

Mar 23, 2006 at 11:52 PM Post #13 of 26
Could they get another voice like Staley? Of course not. They know that. But they can get someone new--maybe someone in tune with Staley--that'll take the music in new directions. Remember, Cantrell's is the voice behind the best Alice in Chains material. Maybe it's time for these three to come up from their hole.

Mar 24, 2006 at 1:05 AM Post #14 of 26
This thread inspired me to whip out some Chains...decided to go with the self-titled album (prob my least listened to of the lot).
Am listening to "Shame in You"...killer song, man I love AIC
icon10.gif

BTW, does anyone hear the drums in this track more predominantly out of the right than left driver?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back