Alessandro Vs. Grado
Dec 16, 2004 at 8:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

jpr703

Headphoneus Supremus
I'm not sure I understand the relationship between Alessandro and Grado. I know that they collarborate somehow and that many of their products look remarkably similiar, but that's all I know so far.

Can anyone explain to me how they work together and what the sound difference is between their models? For instance has anyone compared a MS-2 to a SR-325 or a MS-Pro to a RS-1? Any opinions on which is better?

Dec 16, 2004 at 8:38 PM Post #3 of 27
This isn't a well established topic so I'll be checking this thread too. A comparison of the 325 vs. MS-2 would really be helpful. I've NEVER seen one.

Dec 16, 2004 at 8:56 PM Post #4 of 27
Dec 16, 2004 at 9:57 PM Post #5 of 27
There's nothing in there big enough to really be called a "comparison".

Dec 16, 2004 at 10:33 PM Post #6 of 27
I think that's pretty accurate. Typically the most you ever hear in comparing the two is that the MS-2s are more neutral. Makes me wonder how big the difference really is, or if that is the only significant difference (although it could be a considerable one). I'd like a really big review thread dedicated to those two alone also.

Dec 16, 2004 at 10:36 PM Post #7 of 27
There is a chance that because the SR-325 and MS-2 are similar headphones, not many people actually own both of them. I have the SR-325 and therefore would not bother getting the MS-2 as well...unless I sold the Grado in favour of the slightly darker MS-2 sound - that is to say, in comparison to the SR-325, or so I've read. But this might be unnecessary if you can experiment with different ear pad, amp, source, and cable combinations to get one that works for a particular headphone's characteristics.

Perhaps you can search for comments about both headphones separately and then try to assimilate the information.

Dec 16, 2004 at 10:48 PM Post #8 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by jpr703
I'm not sure I understand the relationship between Alessandro and Grado. I know that they collarborate somehow and that many of their products look remarkably similiar, but that's all I know so far.

Can anyone explain to me how they work together and what the sound difference is between their models? For instance has anyone compared a MS-2 to a SR-325 or a MS-Pro to a RS-1? Any opinions on which is better?

Alessandro and Grado formed a relationship based on Alessandro's desire for a line of headphones basd on the Grado Prestige Series but with minor tweaks to their sound signature to meet the type of performance/sound Alessandro wanted (for use in the Pro Audio industry that they are in). Thus the Alessandro Music Series - tweaked SR-125, 325 and RS-1 correlating with the MS-1, MS-2 and MS-Pro. That's it, not much more to it.

Hundreds of posts you can find that describe the sound of the entire Alessandro line and how they compare to their Prestige Series counterparts.

Dec 16, 2004 at 10:58 PM Post #9 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sean H
Alessandro and Grado formed a relationship based on Alessandro's desire for a line of headphones basd on the Grado Prestige Series but with minor tweaks to their sound signature to meet the type of performance/sound Alessandro wanted (for use in the Pro Audio industry that they are in).

A fellow painter?

The Alessandro sound is similar to the second generation of SR200 drivers, more neutral/laid back overall than Grado's. I would bet Alessandro drivers are given an extra coat or two (or vice versa the Grado's) of whatever substance they spray on the driver membrane, which effects the overall sound. Interesting reading about it, but I can't recall where...

Dec 16, 2004 at 11:49 PM Post #10 of 27
I like that placement of the Alessandros; they do lie somewhere in between the more aggressive John Grados and the more neutral Joe Grados. Some people maintain that all Alessandro did was remove the model button from the SR125/325/RS1 and replace the Grado Lab's Signature and Reference Series inscriptions with his own. However, the MS2 just sounds too different from the SR325 (and we had SR325s with and without the buttons for a very fair comparison) to be without some modification; Xanadu777's theory regarding the coating of the driver membrane sounds very plausible. The MS1 is simply a great value because you're essentially getting the SR125 for the price of the SR80, and the MS1 has a 1/8" plug that is great for portable usage - it is the ultimate portable Grado (as portable as that is). The MS2 is another great buy because it makes the SR325 that much more listenable - unless the enthusiast loves Grating highs (and not even the mighty flat pads can resolve that). The MS2 and SR225 are my choices of all Grados in terms of value for dollar. The MS-Pro is the only model that I find poorly placed; first it cannot be found for a lower price than the $699 while the RS-1 can be found for less (yes, even new) if one has some patience. Also, while the MS1 and MS2 modifications had a positive affect on those headphones' sound, the change to the MS-Pro detracts from its sound, IMO. The MS-Pro aims for HP-1000 neutrality but fails in that regard (not even close) and in doing so it lacks the same euphonic "fun" sound of the RS-1. If I want neutral (but boring) I'll get the HP-1; if I want fun I'll take the RS-1 and if I want a reasonable synthesis of the two (with an added gallon of bass) I'll get the PS-1.
basshead.gif

Dec 17, 2004 at 1:40 AM Post #13 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Blitzula
You definitely should. It would be interesting to hear it from someone with a lot of listening experience, especially with your other Grado involvement.

Okay I will try maybe in the next day or two. But please take my impressions with a bucket of salt. I am one of the very few people who love rs-1's for the colouration and therefore might not tie in with most people thoughts. Although I do strongly agree with neilpearts comments.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back