Alessandro Music Series MS1 FAN CLUB!
Apr 1, 2009 at 2:18 AM Post #2,297 of 3,117
Quote:

Originally Posted by guyx1992 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well I have these cans for about two weeks now and I love.
But because my source is an ob sound card it's not what I expected it would be.
I plugged my MS1s to my iPod and put on Led Zeppelin's "Your Time Is Gonna Come" and had myself an ear-gasm :O
I really want to stop being a modding-virgin and do a little mod. I'm thinking of buying the HD414 and quarter modding them. I also want to buy a DT770 headband for maximum comfort.
By the way, if I want to re-cable them because the stock cable is very stiff and I want a more flexible cable, do you have any suggestions?

i used to be a big fan of the HD414 pads but i'm not so sure anymore. at least on the MS1, i've noticed that they then to compress the sound stage while allowing the bass to become too boomy. it wouldn't hurt to also get a pair of bowls, which are my preferred pads on the MS1 nowadays. they really let the MS1 shine. better feeling of space, cleaner highs, tighter bass and no loss of mids. ymmv

Apr 1, 2009 at 5:13 AM Post #2,300 of 3,117
I don't see the point of buying a 20$ pad (not including shipping) on a 100$ headphone.
Isn't it the same thing if I'll quarter mod my stock pads?

btw, it passed a page so i bumped it:
Quote:

Originally Posted by guyx1992 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well I have these cans for about two weeks now and I love.
But because my source is an ob sound card it's not what I expected it would be.
I plugged my MS1s to my iPod and put on Led Zeppelin's "Your Time Is Gonna Come" and had myself an ear-gasm :O
I really want to stop being a modding-virgin and do a little mod. I'm thinking of buying the HD414 and quarter modding them. I also want to buy a DT770 headband for maximum comfort.
By the way, if I want to re-cable them because the stock cable is very stiff and I want a more flexible cable, do you have any suggestions?

Apr 1, 2009 at 5:22 AM Post #2,301 of 3,117
The Bowls have certain areas along the ridge that is more dense and rigid compared to the comfies (at least that's what I've discovered on my GS1000 pads) which may play an importance to the sound quality. Plus, the Bowls passively increase the soundstage a bit, as it is thicker compared to comfies (more room between ear and driver). Bowls will still outperform the comfies in terms of comfort, sound quality and durability.

Apr 22, 2009 at 1:46 AM Post #2,304 of 3,117
Woot! Card has been charged and MS-1 (improved version) is on the way. I was told shipping to Korea would probably take 3 weeks. I'm hoping they don't get held up in customs. I've heard some horror stories about Korea, but I think these phones are inexpensive enough to come through without any fees.

These will be my first pair of Grados/Alessandros. I'm pretty excited. I have the Denon D1001s, but the boomy bass and somewhat muddy mids aren't great for some genres. Hoping the MS1s will fill that gap.

Apr 22, 2009 at 3:15 AM Post #2,306 of 3,117
I was told that shipping was via USPS (U.S. Postal Service) airmail. I'm not sure if that's different than USPS Priority. Priority mail usually comes to Korea in 5 business days. Maybe the 3 week estimate is just to keep people calm if the package is held up in customs.

Edit: Just checked the USPS website. Maybe by airmail they meant first class. I've only gotten a couple packages via USPS first-class, but they took 10-14 days to arrive.

Apr 22, 2009 at 6:47 AM Post #2,307 of 3,117
Quote:

Originally Posted by hunter186 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have the Denon D1001s, but the boomy bass and somewhat muddy mids aren't great for some genres. Hoping the MS1s will fill that gap.

Alessandro home game.
cool.gif

Apr 22, 2009 at 6:57 AM Post #2,309 of 3,117
Quote:

Originally Posted by nickchen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Alessandro home game.
cool.gif

Good to hear. How do they sound with piano? Lately I've been listening to a lot of jazz and classical piano, and none of my phones really capture the tone of a piano properly.

Apr 22, 2009 at 7:23 AM Post #2,310 of 3,117
Quite natural with piano, but lacks a bit body due to absent deep bass. You need to do the MS1K mod if you want deep bass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back