Alessandro MS1i vs Grado SR60i
Sep 23, 2011 at 10:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

saadishahid

New Head-Fier
This question is probably been asked for 1000 times but still I want your help to get any one of those headphones. These will be my first high quality headphones and I donot feel qulaified enough to call my self an audiophile but I still admire all the little details about what I am hearing.

I would mostly be listening to rock, progressive rock, country and blues and alot of instrumentals (like piano, guitar but rarely classical).

Now I live in Canada so I am getting Grado SR60i for $120 but on the otherhand I can order Alessandro MS1i for $110. They are too much identical so it is getting difficult for me to decide. I listened to Grado at the shop and I liked them. But If Alessandro sounds better (or have a little bit of more bass) than I can go for them. 

Sep 24, 2011 at 1:33 AM Post #3 of 24

Quote:
This is a link to a tablet not a HP. 

BTW I plan to use the headphones without amp through Laptop.

Just be prepared for occasional line noise, pops and crackles. I'm assuming
this is no Apple airbook etc? The Apple stuff tends to be 'just ok' from the
headphone out. All PC laptops have horrid headphone outs, yet to hear
one that is even half reasonable - including the one off my $1200 HP
17''

A portable player would be a much better source, otherwise look into
a cheap DAC/Amp, but by all means hear it for yourself --> DAP vs
cheap headphone out of the laptop. It's not contest, especially with
the Grados.

I'd go for the Alessandro MS-1 at that price.

Sep 24, 2011 at 2:13 AM Post #5 of 24

Quote:
What is the cheapest amp you can suggest? and any particular reason why you think ms1i are better?

You get the better UHPLC cable with the MS-1 and better cup venting over the SR60i.
The sound overall is a little less aggressive and more neutral - I still prefer my SR80i's
over the MS-1 but again - it's a matter of preference, no better or worse. Can't really
go wrong.

The MS-1 or SR60/80i won't really need an amp per se, they do fill out nicely slightly in the
bass area though - the key thing to get right is the 'source' - your headphone out from the
laptop will be a big restriction. Look to get a Fiio E7/E9 combo or otherwise - upgrade
your digital player (or get one in the first place) and forget the laptop, just use it to
download music to transfer over to the digital player.

Something like a Cowan S9 is a sensational combo with the MS-1 or SR60/80i.

Alternatively?

Use a CD player you've got lying around the house.

Sep 24, 2011 at 2:26 AM Post #8 of 24

Quote:
You get the better UHPLC cable with the MS-1 and better cup venting over the SR60i.
The sound overall is a little less aggressive and more neutral - I still prefer my SR80i's
over the MS-1 but again - it's a matter of preference, no better or worse. Can't really
go wrong.

The MS-1 or SR60/80i won't really need an amp per se, they do fill out nicely slightly in the
bass area though - the key thing to get right is the 'source' - your headphone out from the
laptop will be a big restriction. Look to get a Fiio E7/E9 combo or otherwise - upgrade
your digital player (or get one in the first place) and forget the laptop, just use it to
download music to transfer over to the digital player.

Something like a Cowan S9 is a sensational combo with the MS-1 or SR60/80i.

Alternatively?

Use a CD player you've got lying around the house.

I disagree, onboard audio on laptops nowadays are actually quite good. I prefer my realtek onboard audio over my fiio e7. And my toshiba's conexent onboard audio kills the fiio e7.

One thing though is that the realtek onboard doesn't get very loud but it is plenty loud enough unless you want to kill your hearing.

So the op knows i have the alessandro ms1. It's a good headphone but you can get better imo. They produce a scratchy distortion sound which can be very fatiguing.

Sep 24, 2011 at 2:47 AM Post #10 of 24

Quote:
What do you suggest then? My budget is extremely limited as I am a student so can't spend much over cans right now. 

They work great for your genres i am just warning you they may be harsh. If you want something none harsh get shure srh440s. but they won't be as enjoyable  in the long run. The alessandro though more neutral then other grado's is still colored in the treble giving it a fatiguing treble sparkle. It clears up after brain-in. I still highly recommend it.

Sep 24, 2011 at 3:24 AM Post #12 of 24

Quote:
I definitely listen to metal as well :) so a little harsh aint that bad

They are golden for metal.

Trust me i am a metal head. I bought them specifically for metal.

Sep 25, 2011 at 12:04 PM Post #13 of 24
Get the ms1 and turn them into ms1000 as you progress :)

Sep 25, 2011 at 12:38 PM Post #14 of 24
Sep 25, 2011 at 7:08 PM Post #15 of 24
That is a dream only... ms-ultimate uses drivers from the ms pro

The ms1000 however, which is lying at my gf's place, is a total beast. I have a sennheiser hd580 (=hd600) and I guess I might be crazy, I like the ms1000 more... It is a beast

Users who are viewing this thread

Back