1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Alessandro MS1 recabled with 75 ohm cable. Any problems?

1. FlavioWolff
    Hello,

I just got my Alessandro MS1 back from a recable. The tech installed the Mogami 2947 coaxial cable, which is rated at 75 ohms.

I am not very educated in sound science, so I do not know if this matching is right. The MS1 is 32 ohms.

Thank you all in advance!

2. Oscar-HiFi
    Yeah that guy should not have done that...

3. FlavioWolff
    HI. Could you please elaborate? I'm not sure if the cable resistance has anything to do with the headphone impedance itself. Some googling reveals it's fine..

4. Oscar-HiFi
    Normally with headphones, the lowest resistance cable is the preferred option.

5. Speedskater
    The 75 Ohm rating is the Radio Frequency Characteristic Impedance. It's not the end-to-end resistance. It only matters at radio frequencies like 1 megahertz.

FlavioWolff likes this.
  6. Oscar-HiFi
    Thanks for that, it may be ok to use 75ohm cable for headphones, but it's not common and also probably not very ergonomic.

7. FlavioWolff
    Thanks. That is what I thought. This impedance is not the same as cable resistance.

As for ergonomics, this particular cable is much thinner and flexible than Grado's, and doesn't tangle after the y split. A clear upgrade on that aspect.