Alessandro MS-Pro's
Jun 12, 2012 at 10:56 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

nehcrow

1000+ Head-Fier
How do these compare to the rest of the competition around the $700 mark?
And also why are they so unpopular here? It's kind of strange since MS-1 is popular :\

Jun 12, 2012 at 11:30 AM Post #2 of 11
The MS-1 is great bang for the buck. Rumor has it that it shares drivers with the Grado SR125, which is $50 more expensive. Considering that most people think the SR60 and SR80 are good deals at $80 and $100 respectively, getting a better binned driver for the same price shipped worldwide is a no-brainer.

The MS Pro is up against much stiffer competition in it's price bracket. You've got headphones like the HE-500 and D7000 that cost the same and have better build quality and a wider genre bandwidth.

I've only heard the MS Pro for a few minutes, but I do borrow a friend's RS1 on occasion and I do think it has respectable SQ for the price. It's got a highly detailed sound with fast transients that is well suited for rock. Bass slam and instrument separation are OK, but bettered by the Hifiman. Unfortunately, listener fatigue also sets in quickly for me due to the treble tilt and supra-aural fit. 

Jun 12, 2012 at 5:02 PM Post #3 of 11
Quote:
The MS-1 is great bang for the buck. Rumor has it that it shares drivers with the Grado SR125, which is $50 more expensive. Considering that most people think the SR60 and SR80 are good deals at $80 and $100 respectively, getting a better binned driver for the same price shipped worldwide is a no-brainer.

The MS Pro is up against much stiffer competition in it's price bracket. You've got headphones like the HE-500 and D7000 that cost the same and have better build quality and a wider genre bandwidth.

I've only heard the MS Pro for a few minutes, but I do borrow a friend's RS1 on occasion and I do think it has respectable SQ for the price. It's got a highly detailed sound with fast transients that is well suited for rock. Bass slam and instrument separation are OK, but bettered by the Hifiman. Unfortunately, listener fatigue also sets in quickly for me due to the treble tilt and supra-aural fit. 

I have the MS1 & 2.  The MS1 is the sweet spot in the line.  It has the best bang for the buck--better than either the Grado SR80 or 125 that surround it in price.  I like the SR 325 better than the MS2.  The 325 delivers on all cylinders.  The 325 will rock your world, especially when paired with a hybrid or tube amp that will tone down its high just a little.  In comparison the MS2 is just a little bland. 

The MS Pro is said to be tuned for classical music and other genre's are generally believed to be served better by the RS1.  I only have the RS2i, but can tell you that if you like the Grado sound, the RS2i is a can to love.  Of course the RS1 is its big brother and even better.

Jul 23, 2012 at 11:24 AM Post #5 of 11
Thanks for the opinions, guys. 
I'm really looking to pull the trigger on MS-Pro maybe in a few days time, does anyone have any comparisons to other headphones?
I know the Australian headphone store, Headphonic, seems to adore them calling them one of the most musical headphones ever made.
Thanks!

Jul 23, 2012 at 12:41 PM Post #6 of 11
Thanks for the opinions, guys. 

I'm really looking to pull the trigger on MS-Pro maybe in a few days time, does anyone have any comparisons to other headphones?
I know the Australian headphone store, Headphonic, seems to adore them calling them one of the most musical headphones ever made.

Thanks!

There's an older review of the MS-Pro vs RS-1 that might be of some value to you:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/153453/rs-1-vs-ms-pro-a-comparative-review

From asking Alessandro directly, their response is that the RS-1 and MS-Pro are "very similar." And based on that, given that afaik the RS-1s are stupid expensive in Australia, I'd say go for them; the RS-1 are one of my favorite headphones, and if the MS-Pro are at least on-par, they're very good. Should be very musical. Don't buy the "Grados are only for rock" myth for a second.

The only other can I'd consider around $700 is the ESP/950. And it's a different animal entirely.

Jul 23, 2012 at 7:33 PM Post #7 of 11
Quote:
There's an older review of the MS-Pro vs RS-1 that might be of some value to you:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/153453/rs-1-vs-ms-pro-a-comparative-review
From asking Alessandro directly, their response is that the RS-1 and MS-Pro are "very similar." And based on that, given that afaik the RS-1s are stupid expensive in Australia, I'd say go for them; the RS-1 are one of my favorite headphones, and if the MS-Pro are at least on-par, they're very good. Should be very musical. Don't buy the "Grados are only for rock" myth for a second.
The only other can I'd consider around $700 is the ESP/950. And it's a different animal entirely.

Thanks!

Jul 25, 2012 at 7:46 AM Post #9 of 11
I think the MS-pro are great headphones. I have the SR325i and the PS500 from Grado as well and the MS-pro and the SR325i are my two favourites. i have the MS-pro modded with wooden distancers and the G-cush. The SR325i is very direct, has a bit more mid bass quantity than the MS-pro. The MS-pro on the other hand is more balanced and more relaxed to listen to. I have no problem listen rock with it...
I think for people, who live outside the US and like the grado sound the MS-pro is a very good choice...

martin

Jul 26, 2012 at 7:09 AM Post #10 of 11
MS Pro are not the same sounding as any other from Grado, they have kind of flat, or would I say neutral signature, less mid focused coloration bloom and never piercing/shrill top end. They still have enough punch, but will depend on your system. If thats what you are looking for, go for it.

Not sure where you are located, but check this out, if you like of course http://www.head-fi.org/t/619659/grado-alessandro-mspro

Aug 24, 2012 at 4:33 PM Post #11 of 11
I heard most of the Grado line SR225, RS1, PS1000 and owned MS-Pro. So it is hard to give even subjective info because of different systems. But I really loved MS-Pro, it was very clear, thinner tones, sparkling, fast, less bass which I like but punchy and far from boomy))) and in my opinion very musical and airy. Of course soundstage and resolution is not the best when you compare it to some high end priced headphone for example but when you listen them longer you forgot it because overal Grado dont sound mechanical. Sad is you have to listen them first if it is for you. And as you mentioned, there is good concurents from orthos segment, Magnums etc. I think best is if you will own both 
bigsmile_face.gif
 orthos is more universal and MS-Pro when song is right it is very special and exist Ultimate mod for them..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back