Alessandro MS Pros have arrived/Alessandro Discussion thread
Mar 31, 2004 at 12:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 39

kunwar

1000+ Head-Fier
Hi all
Just thought i'd setup a little thread for all of us Alessandro headphone owners for having discussions regarding the 3 products.
feel free to post any info , any mods etc. that you guys have made, also suggestions for improving them.

Cheers
Kunwar

Mar 31, 2004 at 5:56 PM Post #2 of 39
OK
initial impressions.these phones do everything the RS-1 does , just a whloe lot better.
The sound is the closest I have heard to being onstage with the performers themselves.
Drums feel like they are playing just behind you.
the guitar sounds just right.
Bon Jovi is rocking again for me guys, I mean really rocking
These cans are easy to drive .
they are just perfect when run from aa decent amplifier.
i am hardly pushing the volume knob past 9o'clock on the amp.
these are that efficient. anyway everything that i have thrown at these things today has come back 200%. I mean music was meant to sound like this.
For the first time , I actually listened to Norah Jones from end to end without skipping songs. She is not bad if the music comes out through great cans.
all that needs to be done now is find comfy pads for these the bowl pads do get a bit much after 3-4 hours.
I think i might have figured out what these need.
i will experiment with the setup and then get back to you guys.
till then , Happy listening

Mar 31, 2004 at 6:08 PM Post #3 of 39
Quote:

Originally posted by kunwar
OK
initial impressions.these phones do everything the RS-1 does , just a whloe lot better.
The sound is the closest I have heard to being onstage with the performers themselves.
Drums feel like they are playing just behind you.
the guitar sounds just right.
Bon Jovi is rocking again for me guys, I mean really rocking
These cans are easy to drive .
they are just perfect when run from aa decent amplifier.
i am hardly pushing the volume knob past 9o'clock on the amp.
these are that efficient. anyway everything that i have thrown at these things today has come back 200%. I mean music was meant to sound like this.
For the first time , I actually listened to Norah Jones from end to end without skipping songs. She is not bad if the music comes out through great cans.
all that needs to be done now is find comfy pads for these the bowl pads do get a bit much after 3-4 hours.
I think i might have figured out what these need.
i will experiment with the setup and then get back to you guys.
till then , Happy listening

I've never heard the ms-pro(other then the sr-100 and ps1-pro it's the only grado I haven't heard) but iirc most people say that the bowls sound best with them. Imo the rs-1 sounds best with flats, so unless you have heard both on the same setup , each with the pads that work best with them, I wouldn't say "these phones do everything the RS-1 does , just a whole lot better".

Sounds good though
smily_headphones1.gif
. There is a very small number of ms-pro owners here, to bad.

Mar 31, 2004 at 6:28 PM Post #4 of 39
chefguru:
I did have the oppurtunity to listen to the RS-1 with bowl pads and if that is anything to go by then I would rate thte alessandro higher then the RS-1. somehow it does nnot sound as forward ( in your face).
Music can become fatiguing when that happens. thedelivery is just right.

plus they cost me about $650 less than the RS-1 here in australia
so hell yeah it is value for money when compared to the grados.

also the pads i am rigging up for these babies will revolve around a combination of the beyer velour pads and depending on suitability bowl/flat pads.

most people would agree that the grados/aless. become a bit uncomfortable after prolonged periods of listening.

Apr 1, 2004 at 3:41 AM Post #5 of 39
I find the MS-Pro to be a lot more comfortable than the heavier MS-2, but the bowl pads to tend to lack the "forgot I was even wearing headphones" comfort level that some headphones have (DT531
biggrin.gif
)
I've got some of the Sennheiser flat pads here that I'm testing now (with the MS-2, MS-Pro is at home) and they're definately more comfy. Sound is something I'll need to spend more time evaluating.

Apr 1, 2004 at 7:11 AM Post #6 of 39
Congrats getting Alessandro Music Series Pro and welcome to join the family! Do you feel MS Pro has more details than RS-1?
biggrin.gif
How much more detailed is ER-4S than MS Pro?

Apr 1, 2004 at 1:01 PM Post #7 of 39
Hi Kunwar,

Congrats on the cans. Sounds like your in headphone heaven. Can you give us a few details on a comparision with the etys.

Love to hear what type of music you think these cans sound best with...

Have fun,

TonyAAA

Apr 1, 2004 at 1:17 PM Post #8 of 39
It is oft forgotten that detail is in the eye of the person beholding it.
To me detail is where the phones are good enough to allow separation of instrments without letting go of the actual signature of the music.
The ety's are a fantastic phone.
the MSP is like a more musical version of the 4P. It has got more bass, sounds just right, It doesn't try to push any particular instru. forward. It is like sitting to a personal performance just for you by the artist. This phone is not about soundstage cos it does not try to depict a soundstage. It is like you are in the middle of it and it is all around you.

As far as detailing goes, the RS-1's tend to miss a few notes due to there brghter presentation of the music itself. the MSP as i mentioned before is laidback compared to the RS-1. That is why some details become more apparent.
Compared to the RS-1 , I wouold take the MSP anyday, I like the music to flow with me, not force me to go with it.

the 4S is a class act, let's reember before anyone else did it, the ety's were there.
Some might contend that westone was there but i reckon in canalphones just for sheer detail and value4money i would get the 4S.
If I had too much money, then I would buy all the phones just for the heck of it and listen to my favorite songs over and over again in all the different flavors that are present on the headphone market.

Cheers
Kunwar

Apr 1, 2004 at 1:31 PM Post #9 of 39
Yes, the MSPs are wonderful phones. Living in Switzerland, I got them for the same reasons as you, kunwar. Even with customs included, the MSPs were cheaper than a pair of RS2s here in Switzerland
biggrin.gif
I run mine with flat pads (though I must give the bowls another try some time, me thinks) through Grado's RA-1 (and I don't find this cuts off all treble). It's a lovely combination, though I might get another Amp some day (maybe the new Lehmann audio or an gsp solo?), so I could run high impedance types as well.

Apr 2, 2004 at 12:06 PM Post #10 of 39
Okay Kunwar, you have probably got these MSpros surgically attached to your head by now... so tell us, are they as comfortable as you would like.

I know you have some very comfy DT531 cans to compare with, but is the sound improvement enough for the MSPs to displace these very comfy DTs for long listening sessions?

As you can tell, I'm getting tempted by the unamped possibility of a "perfect" set of open cans which the MSP might represent to me.

Cheers,

TonyAAA

Apr 2, 2004 at 1:50 PM Post #11 of 39
Ok let's make it official for everyone out there.
The Beyer's are THE most comfortable phones ouut there by far.
The MSP's with the bowl pads are not as comfortable but the simple fact is they sound so good that I just can't seem to get them of the head.
I am thinking of ways to get the beyer pads onto the msp's cos' that would be a combo to die for.
What I have come up with is the following:

get the sennheiser pads, cut the hole in it.
the next step is to attach the beyer pads to the senn's by sticking it with super glue or anything else that would help in
keeping them attached
I have tried it without sticking it to the current bowl pads and have noticed that it is extremely comfortable with the sound opening up and a feeling of space creeping in.
I will try the above and see what happens.

also Snunfkin, question for you? where did you get the yellow senn pads from here in ausland??
i wouldn't mind getting one myself and trying them to see how they are.
the other option is to get the grado flat pads which people do mention are similar to the grado HP-1 pads which do look nice.

cheers
Kunwar

Apr 2, 2004 at 2:32 PM Post #13 of 39
anywhere to source it from in australi.
snufkin are the flat pads the Grado ones. I think i read in another thread abou tyou trying out flat pads.
where did you get them from?
anyone know of a place.

cheers
kunwar

Apr 2, 2004 at 2:40 PM Post #14 of 39
Anywhere that sells Sennheiser parts should be able to get you the yellow pads - I can't remember which model they're off though.

The flat pads I have are from the MS-1, I think they're the "comfy" pads or something - flat pads with no hole cut out.

Apr 2, 2004 at 3:41 PM Post #15 of 39
are the pro's cheaper in australia then in the US?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back