Alessandro MS-1s arrived!
Jun 11, 2005 at 4:25 AM Post #17 of 28
I'm a new head-fier, so I'll try to describe it the best I can. The bass definiteley seemed to improve. Even before swapping pads. It extended lower and became more pronounced. Mid bass seemed to smooth out a bit and blend better with the mid range. Highs got airier. They seemed a touch more effortless after break in. I noticed no improvements in detail. Overall the bass was the most pronounced change for me. Everything else was relatively minor.

Let me know of your findings.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cyrilix
Thanks 12th,

I'm enjoying them very much. The clarity of these phones is astounding... I'm not even sure if music can get any clearer without having to change the recording itself. What kind of sound did you get after burning them in? Did it become any more detailed? clear? or did the bass/mid/highs just feel stronger/weaker?

Jun 11, 2005 at 6:59 AM Post #18 of 28
Well, as you know from my earlier post, I have finally received my MS1 cans. It was certainly a coincidence that I got my MS1 the same day as Cyrilix. After about 1.5 hours with it, I'm finally ready to write some VERY VERY initial impressions. Do keep in mind that my cans are NOT burned in yet. Also, I'm really a newbie high end headphones enthusiast. I'll try my best to describe my impressions here.

I had the opportunity to do some A/B'ing with a pair of SR60. My sister got a pair just two weeks ago. It has seen about 50 hours of usage and should be a little more burned in.

The very first impression, I plugged in my MS1 into a JVC Micro Executive System unampped. I was shocked to hear that it was very very dead and flat. Worst of all, it sounded plasticky like some cheap earbuds that come distributed with Discmans. However, the situation quickly improved letting it play for about 30 mins straight. I then plugged my cans into a Panasonic SL-SX430 discman, again, unampped. It sounded much better. I think the plasticky sound was due to the combination of JVC player and the newness of the drivers.

After this initial shock, I did some A/B'ing between MS1 and SR60. The very first impression is that what everyone here is saying is true. MS1 is more neutral, not as exciting as SR60. I was listening to Diana Krall's The Girl In The Other Room CD, specificalliy Track 3, Temptation. I don't know how better to describe it but it was like, with SR60, there was more warmth. It seemed more engaging, like you are right there, in the first row, or better, sitting beside Diana Krall. However, with the MS1, it was more disengaged. It seems almost as if I'm sitting in row 3 or 4 of a concert... Don't get me wrong, the sound is still very much Grado, but just slightly cooler, not so warm.

Frankly, I think the SR60 is a more fun pair of headphones.

However, this might not be a fair comparison right now. Let the MS1 burn in a little more and I'll post another impression here.

Also, just curious, anyone out there actually did an A/B'ing between MS1 and SR80. What about MS1 and SR125 (since both these cans use the UHPLC for their voice coils)? Does the MS1 sound more like the SR80 or does it sound more like SR125?

Finally, I also noticed that when I first started my cans, I found that they have a left bias, i.e. sounds louder on the left. It's gone now, but it could just be me getting used to it. Also, my sister's SR60 initially had a right bias to them! Again, they seem to be gone now. Anyone else who had the same experiences?

Jun 11, 2005 at 4:39 PM Post #19 of 28
I had a very distinguishable right bias at first with my MS-1. I think it depends on what music I listen to, because in non-electronic tracks, I sometimes don't feel any bias.

Jun 11, 2005 at 5:09 PM Post #21 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by John2e
Are the MS-1 the equivelant to the Grado RS-1 ?

Where is a good source to purchase them ?

Thanks

Not quite...you're talking $99 vs. $699.

Jun 11, 2005 at 5:16 PM Post #22 of 28
Quote:

Are the MS-1 the equivelant to the Grado RS-1 ?

I WISH!
biggrin.gif
Unfortunately, nope. There is nothing woody about MS-1s at all...
frown.gif
MSPro is more of the equivalent of RS1.

Quote:

Where is a good source to purchase them ?

Thanks

Hmmm...I don't think you can get MS1s other than directly from Alessandros himself. However, don't worry, the $99 covers shipping internationally as well..

Jun 11, 2005 at 8:38 PM Post #24 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by sionghchan
I had the opportunity to do some A/B'ing with a pair of SR60. My sister got a pair just two weeks ago. It has seen about 50 hours of usage and should be a little more burned in.

Thanks for the report....I asked about MS-1 vs SR60 in the other thread, and I actually ended up buying the SR60's from my local dealer www.audioshop.on.ca
I know Grado's are kind of overpriced in Canada....but since I bought from him before, Marc gave me a mild discount on the price to keep my business, and the fact that I didn't want to wait two weeks made me choose the Grado's

The SR60's are definitely a bit exaggerated in the top end and share the same signature sound as all Grado's. Of course, they don't present details with the same precision as my SR225's nor provide the tight punchy impact that they do, and for the most part, they end up sounding a bit more shrill, and thin. Comfort wise I actually find the SR225's much more comfortable because less of the pad touches my ear compared to the comfie pads that sit on top on your whole ear. I kind of regret that I didn't go for the MS-1's even given your report that they are less fun. I guess the SR225's kind of spoiled me and I am mildly disappointed, but the SR60's are good enough for my purposes as a knock-around, office use headphones. Now people coming into my office KNOW I'm listening to music...instead of talking to me without realizing that I'm wearing my Ety's

Jun 11, 2005 at 8:44 PM Post #25 of 28
Quote:

Also, just curious, anyone out there actually did an A/B'ing between MS1 and SR80. What about MS1 and SR125 (since both these cans use the UHPLC for their voice coils)? Does the MS1 sound more like the SR80 or does it sound more like SR125?

I kind of think that the MS-1's don't really sound like Grado's because their diagphrams have gone through their own destressing process to reduce the glare and sparkling detail that all Grado's tend to have. I've heard the SR60/80/125/225 in succession and they all have in common a characteristic high end response, with a bit more control as you go up the range, but there is no mistaking that Grado sound.

Jun 11, 2005 at 10:59 PM Post #26 of 28
hey.
when I got my sr80's a ways back they were shipped ups. worst idea ever. they use their own customs brokers and they charge 40 bucks for the brokerage fee. never use ups.
jmt shipped me an amp via usps, only 5 bucks for brokerage.

on another note, my sr325i's i got locally for 350 bucks. quite a deal considering they are 300 bucks usd.

Jun 12, 2005 at 2:26 AM Post #27 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by warpdriver
Thanks for the report....I asked about MS-1 vs SR60 in the other thread, and I actually ended up buying the SR60's from my local dealer www.audioshop.on.ca

Hey Warpdriver... I second you in your recommendation of Audioshop. Like I have said, my sister bought her SR60s from Marc and the service was excellent. I just wished Alessandro High End Products was just as efficient.

Well, I personally think that you made a wise decision with the SR60. I think, if I have never heard the SR60s, I would have been WOWed by the MS1s. However, knowing how SR60s sound like now, I have a slight wish that I went with SR80s from www.a4audio.com instead of MS1s. Afterall, they were the same price, USD$99.

Just a question for you though, why did you go with the SR60s instead of the SR80s? They are only about CAD$50 more right?

Final question, I am now interested in getting some bowl pads for my MS1s...was wondering if Marc might have some in Audioshop?

Cheers from Vancouver!
SH

Jun 12, 2005 at 4:46 PM Post #28 of 28
Quote:

Just a question for you though, why did you go with the SR60s instead of the SR80s? They are only about CAD$50 more right?

I was just trying to economize, since I am less critical of sound quality when it comes to at-work music. And I thought that the comfie pads would be a nice change comfort wise, but that was a mistaken assumption. In hindsite, the SR80's would have been worth the cost.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back