Alessandro MS-1 Ordered!
Dec 13, 2004 at 7:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

digitaldave

500+ Head-Fier
I finally took the plunge and ordered a pair of MS-1 phones
rs1smile.gif
, based on the feedback from happy users here at head-fi. They are a present to myself for passing the final unit of my Open University degree. I doubt they will be here in time for Christmas, but maybe they'll be here before the new year.

For now, I'll be using them out of an iPod or an old Sony D-EJ825. I guess the next upgrade will be an amp, then a new source etc.
biggrin.gif

Dave.

Dec 13, 2004 at 7:28 PM Post #3 of 10
Spend $4 on the sennheiser HD414 yellow earpads. Much better than the stock comfies in my opinion. (Well, like $7 shipped, ca. $14 for two sets, I recommend getting two pairs so you can mod one)

Dec 13, 2004 at 7:33 PM Post #4 of 10
Or better yet, spring for the flat pads from todd!

Dec 13, 2004 at 8:56 PM Post #5 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Murdoch
Or better yet, spring for the flat pads from todd!

That may be a bit of overkill.
tongue.gif
(I base this on the fact that you almost can get a used sr-225 for the price of a new MS1 + Flats)

Besides, bowls forever!!! (just not on the ms1)

Dec 13, 2004 at 9:12 PM Post #6 of 10
i must admit i sprung for flats when i had the MS-1. Awesome. but yeah for bang for the buck get the senn pads instead lol - after all the can is $99 right? for now they should be fine with just the ipod, but a lil juice never hurt, even a cmoy would bring out alot of enjoyment. Congrats on joining Team Alessandro! And reserve opinions until you've listened to them for 40-50 hours!

Dec 13, 2004 at 11:41 PM Post #7 of 10
EMT:

I think I read your comments just after I'd got off the phone to the guys at Alessandro
biggrin.gif
. Much of my listening is rock / punk / metal, so these cans should do the job nicely.

Kirosia:

The HD414 pads seem to be a very popular option here, I'll certainly look in to it. Do you know if Senn USA will ship parts to the UK? The UK web site doesn't appear to have a spares section
frown.gif
. Not sure about that yellow though, I'll have to see if I can get some dye for them. Will normal fabric dye be OK?

Murdoch:

Again, I'll also look in to the flats from Todd. Too many options
biggrin.gif

Jahn:

Burn-in - should I just put them on continuous play for a couple of days solid and then listen, or listen to them during the burn-in period to see how the sound evolves?
Amp - I'll definitely look in to one eventually, at least for home use. But for now, I'm just going to enjoy the phones
rs1smile.gif

Dave.

Dec 14, 2004 at 12:47 AM Post #8 of 10
Yellow pads on that headphone will get more laughs than even the antenni if you plan to wear them in public.
tongue.gif

The stock comfies aren't so bad. The quarter mod didn't make as much a difference as I thought it'd make, but then again, I couldn't compare them side by side.

Dec 14, 2004 at 1:11 AM Post #9 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by daveabrey
Kirosia:

The HD414 pads seem to be a very popular option here, I'll certainly look in to it. Do you know if Senn USA will ship parts to the UK? The UK web site doesn't appear to have a spares section
frown.gif
. Not sure about that yellow though, I'll have to see if I can get some dye for them. Will normal fabric dye be OK?

Sorry, I have no idea, on both accounts. Yeloow isn't too bad though. Okay, you will look stupid.
tongue.gif

Dec 14, 2004 at 1:29 AM Post #10 of 10
I would just listen to them and enjoy them - and start ordering those flats around 30 hours, so when you hit the magic number, bam put on the flats and you'll be double-blown away
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back