ALESSANDRO MS-1, 2, and pro?
May 23, 2005 at 4:30 AM Post #16 of 35
*(replying to goredwings post)* I donno. I would say the MSPRO's are a more neutral can than the RS. All those attributes you described support that. The MSPRO's get rid of annoying syrupy midrange/midbass and tone down the decay reverberation. I will agree on the slam issue, its not like the GRADO RS series. Also, like all mohogany headphones (ones made by Grado), the highs are missing that extra "crispness" some of the prestaige series have (ex. SR225).

edit- insert "(replying to goredwings post)"

May 23, 2005 at 4:43 AM Post #19 of 35
s_daedalus>It's to do with the housing and probably better matching. The 325's black have the hp-1000 drivers. But they shine better in the hp-1's and hp-2's better if that's your cup of tea.

Rhydon>I am not disputing the fact the ms-pro's are more probably more listenable than the Rs-1's. Rs-1's are Grado's Qualia 010. Some people feel it's the greatest while others feel it is one of the most coloured, if not the most coloured phones that's out.

Ms-pro's are for people who would like the Rs-1 sound without the Rs-1 highs and extension of midrange and bass. Just listen to both and see which one you prefer.

May 23, 2005 at 4:52 AM Post #20 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rhydon
Also, like all mohogany headphones (ones made by Grado), the highs are missing that extra "crispness" some of the prestaige series have (ex. SR225).

actually, having moved from a ms-2 to a rs-1, imo i feel that the 'crispness' is more a bother than anything else.

a 'thng' on the rs-1 somehow becomes a 'thrk' on the ms-2 - while some may interpret this 'crispness' as pleasing initially, perhaps like me they might find it to be eventually fatiguing. ymmv.

May 23, 2005 at 4:53 AM Post #21 of 35
GoRedWings19- yeah, i see what you mean. Everyone has their own cup of tea. Life is perception. Tho every once and a while i do wish the MSPRO's had that final 'zing' to the highs. I always keep my SR225's bedside because of that.

Enverxis, what is a "Doo Modded"???

May 23, 2005 at 4:58 AM Post #22 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by GoRedwings19
s_daedalus>It's to do with the housing and probably better matching. The 325's black have the hp-1000 drivers. But they shine better in the hp-1's and hp-2's better if that's your cup of tea.

Thanks for clearing that up. They had a similar flavor, but the HP-2's were just much more dynamic.

May 23, 2005 at 5:06 AM Post #23 of 35
Rhydon>I gotta be honest I love my 225's even though I have better technical phones. I prefer the 225's to the ms2,ms2i's, 325 black, 325 silver.

S daedalus>Yep hp-2's are one of my fave headphones. hp-1's with the phase switches are a gimmick, But I got them in case my HP-2 drivers fail so that I would have a spare set of drivers as I don't know if John Grado have any drivers left. Which makes me wonder if it's possible to use the hp1000 drivers out of the 325 blacks????

May 23, 2005 at 5:12 AM Post #24 of 35
I'm willing to bet that it will depend on how the driver is attached to the housing. with my 325's there is a plastic housing for the driver, if all grados share the same plastic housing it should work fine, but if the HP1000's are entirely metal with no plastic, it probably won't work as well.

May 23, 2005 at 5:19 AM Post #25 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by adhoc
actually, having moved from a ms-2 to a rs-1, imo i feel that the 'crispness' is more a bother than anything else.

a 'thng' on the rs-1 somehow becomes a 'thrk' on the ms-2 - while some may interpret this 'crispness' as pleasing initially, perhaps like me they might find it to be eventually fatiguing. ymmv.

Maybe warmer tubes or the ms-pro's might be for you.

May 23, 2005 at 5:31 AM Post #26 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by adhoc

yep i found the RS1 too be a bit too active, and ultimately fatiguing. the MS-2 i could listen to all night.

as to the HP1000 driver issue - i'd love to hear my C-Padded SR200 with HP1000 drivers against a pair of HP2s again, since last time i felt my SR200 with flats lost both in the soundstage and bass dept to the HP2. NYC June meet here i come!

May 23, 2005 at 5:39 AM Post #28 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by S_Dedalus
Jahn, do your Sr-200's have the stock or headphile cable?

everything is stock - perhaps deep down inside i'm keeping it pristine for a sale if i ever get rich enough to buy a HP-2 lol.

May 23, 2005 at 5:44 AM Post #29 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
everything is stock - perhaps deep down inside i'm keeping it pristine for a sale if i ever get rich enough to buy a HP-2 lol.

Yeah, I'd love a pair of them too. I'm about to replace my Darth Beyer's with HD600's, so we'll see if I'm still a grado man 6 months from now.

May 23, 2005 at 5:53 AM Post #30 of 35
i have a feeling your woody 325 will hold it's own against that senn!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back