ALERT! ALERT! Major impulse buy
Mar 8, 2006 at 6:43 PM Post #16 of 84
Quote:

Originally Posted by vvrinne
I started thinking that a pair of good speakers on the computer (on which I spend quite a bit of time) would be a nice.

Yep, I started with that exact same thought several months ago. It led me towards splurging ~$2000 for a 'casual listening computer setup' - as listed in the signature below.
eggosmile.gif

And I still 'have to/must/will get' a pair of K-701's as well as MDR-SA5000. Not to mention a dedicated amplifier.

I love you Head-Fi!

Mar 8, 2006 at 7:07 PM Post #18 of 84
You are supposed to sound the alert before you purchase, so we can talk you out of it (not like that will ever happen though)

Congrats on the 650s. I gotta get me some of them soon.

Mar 8, 2006 at 7:23 PM Post #19 of 84
Enjoy the HD-650's! They're still my favorite phones, nothing I've yet tried has come close to matching their euphonic qualities. Now time to upgrade your source
evil_smiley.gif

Mar 8, 2006 at 7:23 PM Post #20 of 84
Quote:

Originally Posted by darkninja67
You are supposed to sound the alert before you purchase, so we can talk you out of it (not like that will ever happen though)

Congrats on the 650s. I gotta get me some of them soon.

It was easier to pay for the 650's than write a post; hence why I did it =D

Gotta love internet shopping these days,

Mar 8, 2006 at 7:26 PM Post #21 of 84
Heh yeah will have to see about my source after a while
smily_headphones1.gif
My sound card is decent enough (m-audio 2496) and I'm mainly listening to 320kbit MP3s. Will be interesting to see if I can actually hear a difference between the original CDs and the MP3s. I am not exactly equipped with golden ears and I'm not a musician so I've been fairly happy with just listening to MP3s so far.

Mar 8, 2006 at 7:30 PM Post #22 of 84
There are lots of headphones I've heard that you can only really enjoy in a really, really nice rig. I think the HD650 has sonic properties and coloration that can be applied to nearly any setup and really enjoyed.

Mar 8, 2006 at 7:35 PM Post #23 of 84
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mercuttio
There are lots of headphones I've heard that you can only really enjoy in a really, really nice rig. I think the HD650 has sonic properties and coloration that can be applied to nearly any setup and really enjoyed.

That's definitely true. When I first got the HD-650's my source was a 4 year old DVD player and amp was a Headroom Total Airhead. However, pairing the 650's with a nice amp and source definitely adds to the musical enjoyment you receive.

Mar 8, 2006 at 7:39 PM Post #24 of 84
Quote:

Originally Posted by rogue
That's definitely true. When I first got the HD-650's my source was a 4 year old DVD player and amp was a Headroom Total Airhead. However, pairing the 650's with a nice amp and source definitely adds to the musical enjoyment you receive.

Honestly, I think that's where the most magic in them is. They're great sounding on their own out of a consumer stereo, but are just SO flexible and open ended in terms of upgrades to your source and amp.

Mar 8, 2006 at 10:36 PM Post #25 of 84
What do you guys think about the RS-1s with the Graham Slee? Obviously I'll need to be buying a second amp as currently I am leaning towards keeping both phones. Probably best to buy something for the Grados since judging from what people are saying the Slee seems like a better match with the 650s.

Mar 9, 2006 at 3:08 AM Post #26 of 84
Talking about impulse buys...

Just picked up an iHP-120 and a Hornet, and am about to pick up a MicroDAC for it too, just to flesh out the system. Should go well with the ES2 and HD600.

Weeeee, portable heaven.

Mar 9, 2006 at 3:56 AM Post #27 of 84
Quote:

Originally Posted by vvrinne
Well on the subject of impulse buys .. One night (3am) last week I started thinking that a pair of good speakers on the computer (on which I spend quite a bit of time) would be a nice. After browsing ebay for a pair of Genelecs (of which I already own 7 and am a huge fan) I got to thinking that maybe a pair of good headphones would be better on the computer. I'd listened to HD600s, 650s on different occasions and had enjoyed them tremendously. So I ordered a pair of 650s on Ebay. No biggie there I guess.

After surfing the net for a while I came accross this site and spent the next couple of hours reading up on all things headphones (threads here and sites around the net). Around 5am I got to thinking that maybe an amp would be nice with my new phones. Some more ebaying and head-fi surfing later I ordered a graham slee solo. Now at this point I am obviously delusional as I've never in my life owned a headphone amp yet I decided to order one which cost 1,5x more than the 650s.

Next morning I wake up realizing what I have done but for some reason I am still feeling good about it, even about the amp. I figure it must be a good "investment" since I don't regret the purchase. Too bad that that after browsing head-fi and other sites again for a couple of days I get a sudden urge to buy a pair of Grados as well. Having heard some of the cheaper Grados on different occasions I start thinking that I kind of like their sound as well and could do with a decent pair of phones at the office as well. Long story short I buy a pair of RS-1s as well.

So having decided one night that a decent pair of speakers would be nice at the computer I now own a pair of HD650s, RS-1s and the graham slee (all of which still happen to be on their way to me in the post). I don't know what one would classify as an impulse buy but this might be considered something of the sort. Oh well, at least I will finally be able to listen to some good tunes on the computer as well
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks a lot head-fi!
tongue.gif
My wallet and my wife thank you.

HaHaHaHa!!!! This sounds almost exactly like my story. I thought a nice pair of headphones would be cool so I started searching towards the very end of last summer. Long story short, I bought everything in my sig in 3 months. That's including the Mini-DAC and DAC1. Oh, and my K701s just got here yesterday.

Mar 11, 2006 at 5:38 AM Post #28 of 84
Quote:

Originally Posted by markot86
WHAT IS WRONG WITH ME?!?!?

I actually decided that i'm going to keep both the 880's and the 650's for their different sound signatures. What in the world has this website done to me? =D

You will love them, I also have the 880 and 650's among others. They're both awesome and worthy of any head-fi'ers collection. I upgraded from the 600's to the 650's recently and there's no looking back (except for sentimental reasons).

Good luck and enjoy

Mar 11, 2006 at 6:54 AM Post #29 of 84
The HD650's came in and, well, I'm shocked at how good they sound.

Seriously.

I was expecting this to be the WORST purchase I have ever made because everything that this headphone has been classified as/marked with was exactly against what I like; namely, rolled off highs, bloated bass, boring sound, etc etc

In addition, this was the first headphone I didn't extensively research beforehand. Like i said, i decided at 2 in the morning that I had to have the HD650's and got them.

Now I finally understand why so many head-fiers have this headphone. Maybe I should trust my impulse buying abilities from now on =D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back