ALERT! ALERT! Major impulse buy
Mar 8, 2006 at 6:41 AM Post #2 of 84
Congrats, but sorry about the loss of the (IMO great sounding) DT880.
evil_smiley.gif
Hey, I guess some just crave for a warmer, bassier sound. I no longer care for the Sennheiser house sound myself, but mileage obviously varies.

Mar 8, 2006 at 7:00 AM Post #4 of 84
remorese really hits when you start shopping for an amp and source worthy of the HD650 greatness.

Mar 8, 2006 at 8:20 AM Post #7 of 84
WHAT IS WRONG WITH ME?!?!?

I actually decided that i'm going to keep both the 880's and the 650's for their different sound signatures. What in the world has this website done to me? =D

Mar 8, 2006 at 8:24 AM Post #8 of 84
Quote:

Originally Posted by markot86

I actually decided that i'm going to keep both the 880's and the 650's for their different sound signatures. What in the world has this website done to me? =D

Made you appreciate good sound
smily_headphones1.gif
. Nothing wrong with having more than one higher end headphone, you and I actually have less than a lot of other people.

Mar 8, 2006 at 12:36 PM Post #9 of 84
Quote:

Originally Posted by markot86

Relax my friend
smily_headphones1.gif
After your next paycheck, the remorse is all but forgotten. Enjoy the ride and make sure to visit the "Music" forum regularly.

Mar 8, 2006 at 3:31 PM Post #11 of 84
Well on the subject of impulse buys .. One night (3am) last week I started thinking that a pair of good speakers on the computer (on which I spend quite a bit of time) would be a nice. After browsing ebay for a pair of Genelecs (of which I already own 7 and am a huge fan) I got to thinking that maybe a pair of good headphones would be better on the computer. I'd listened to HD600s, 650s on different occasions and had enjoyed them tremendously. So I ordered a pair of 650s on Ebay. No biggie there I guess.

After surfing the net for a while I came accross this site and spent the next couple of hours reading up on all things headphones (threads here and sites around the net). Around 5am I got to thinking that maybe an amp would be nice with my new phones. Some more ebaying and head-fi surfing later I ordered a graham slee solo. Now at this point I am obviously delusional as I've never in my life owned a headphone amp yet I decided to order one which cost 1,5x more than the 650s.

Next morning I wake up realizing what I have done but for some reason I am still feeling good about it, even about the amp. I figure it must be a good "investment" since I don't regret the purchase. Too bad that that after browsing head-fi and other sites again for a couple of days I get a sudden urge to buy a pair of Grados as well. Having heard some of the cheaper Grados on different occasions I start thinking that I kind of like their sound as well and could do with a decent pair of phones at the office as well. Long story short I buy a pair of RS-1s as well.

So having decided one night that a decent pair of speakers would be nice at the computer I now own a pair of HD650s, RS-1s and the graham slee (all of which still happen to be on their way to me in the post). I don't know what one would classify as an impulse buy but this might be considered something of the sort. Oh well, at least I will finally be able to listen to some good tunes on the computer as well
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks a lot head-fi!
tongue.gif
My wallet and my wife thank you.

Mar 8, 2006 at 3:38 PM Post #12 of 84
You will not be dissapointed... just remember not to judge them on what you first hear! They change a LOT over the course of burn in...

Mar 8, 2006 at 3:42 PM Post #13 of 84
I am actually looking forward to seeing whether or not I can actually hear the changes happening with the phones. I bought the Grados slightly used but the 650s are new as is the Graham Slee. Only bad thing is that if I decided to keep everything I might have to buy another amp and a new soundcard for the computer at work
smily_headphones1.gif
For now I think I will just keep them both at home to get a feel for them. Will be using the computer and my m-audio 2496 as the source.

Mar 8, 2006 at 4:39 PM Post #14 of 84
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mercuttio
You will not be dissapointed... just remember not to judge them on what you first hear! They change a LOT over the course of burn in...

If it's going to be anything like the experience I had with the HD600's, I'm sure i'll be stunned right off the bat =D

Mar 8, 2006 at 4:44 PM Post #15 of 84
Quote:

Originally Posted by vvrinne
I am actually looking forward to seeing whether or not I can actually hear the changes happening with the phones. I bought the Grados slightly used but the 650s are new as is the Graham Slee. Only bad thing is that if I decided to keep everything I might have to buy another amp and a new soundcard for the computer at work
smily_headphones1.gif
For now I think I will just keep them both at home to get a feel for them. Will be using the computer and my m-audio 2496 as the source.

I did something rather different with these headphones. Normally, I listen to them over time and burn them in through natural normal usage. Instead with the HD650, I burned them in by leaving them on for approximately 100 hours. Every 24 hours, I'd listen to them.

I was AMAZED at the differences every day. They settled after about 75 or so to my ears, but the first two days had DRAMATIC changes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back