Alcide Nikopol
Mar 23, 2014 at 10:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Alcide Nikopol

New Head-Fier
Hi there,

This is my first post on this Forum and I am not used to write in English, so sorry for any wrong spelling or misunderstanding.

For family reasons, I am listening much more to Cans these times. So I found my way to the Head-Fi Forum, reading about your experiences and getting new ideas on what's kind of systems work fine for you.

1. My main source is à full Naim System with a NaHa on Sennheiser HD-600 Cans. I am listening mainly to CD's on a NA-CDX and sometimes vinyl on a Rega P3¦24. BTW, I once tried the HD-650's, but found them to smooth. Preferred the sound of the 600's.
  2. My second system is a NA-CD3 with a Creek OBH-11 into Sennheiser Momentum's, because I needed closed cans, same reason as mentioned earlier.
  3. Last but not least, my "mobile" system consisting of a Apple iPod Video into Phiaton MS300's. I lately bought à cMOY Headphone Amplifier to improve sound quality.

Probably my next steps will be :
  1. A better power supply for my Naim NaHa, thinking of a TeddyCap.
  2. Changing my old iPod. I didn't decide which way to go, staying with Apple or trying something else (Pono, Sony, FiiO, ...)
  3. Getting a better portable amp.
  4. Trying some AKG's, for instance the  K702 Pro.
  5. Trying some Grados (?).

So probably my next posts will be about my next steps, but I am  not in a hurry. Thanks in advance for your future help, have a nice day.

Cheers,
Marco

Jan 22, 2015 at 10:02 AM Post #2 of 5
So, finally the last of my "next steps" became my first : I bought à pair of Grados.

They are buttoned RS-1's and got a re-haul by Grado in NYC. I don't know if they changed the drivers, but I suspect so. The sound was harsh when I got them back. Now after some hour of listening, it's getting better. Think they will improve even more with more listening.

I am now thinking of a pair of AKG's, either the K702 or the K712 PRO. What are the differences between these two ?

Cheers,
MArco

Jan 22, 2015 at 11:18 AM Post #4 of 5
Thank you, billybob, for the graph ! Gives me some first impressions.

After finding the website, I managed to build a graph with RS-1, HD600, K702 and K 712. The K702 seems close to the Senns's on the bottom side, but treble is quite different. The K712 is very different, has significantly more bass as well as mid-range response. Looks less natural...

But finally, the interesting point is on how their sound is perceived. Has anyone made a A/B comparison ?

MArco

Users who are viewing this thread

Back