Sorry, I missed taking a shot of SilverLodestar's excellent IEM stuff

9940774_l.jpg

9940775_l.jpg

9940776_l.jpg

9940777_l.jpg

9940778_l.jpg

Last edited:
Jul 1, 2019 at 9:38 AM Post #2 of 10
I was really impressed with how great Stax stuff from the 70's sounded! Jim's got some great gear, and a new amp coming soon.

The qdc Anole VX brought by SilverLodestar was fantastic. It was a little bright, very detailed, and great bass.

The Auteur Teak kills any notion that ZMF cans are dark. Almost, but not quite bright, it's well balanced and very engaging.

As always, it was great to see everyone. Also, a second thanks to Kim for getting the room.

Jul 14, 2019 at 7:08 PM Post #3 of 10
Thanks again to everyone who made the meet happen, I had a great time and it was a cool environment with a lot of teaching and guiding thorughout. Highlights for me were finally hearing some of the ZMF headphones for the first time, the LCD-X, and of course the Stax 007A mk2, which to me was finally a Stax that was good with everything. I would have liked to spend more time listening to all the headphones and the ADI-2 in particular, but my time management seem to have failed me and the event ended sooner than I expected.

I did mod my L300 Limited based on the Jim told me about his 007A mk2 and this post, and the low-end has improved substantially.Up to LCD2C quality? Maybe not, but the quantity has improved to me no longer using an EQ with them (I had experimented as far as a 20db shelf at 75hz which still didn't cut it pre-mod: # Filter: ON HS 10 dB Fc 75 Hz Gain -20 dB). And the lack of an EQ means I'm back in the lower-level range of my SRM-252S.

Jul 14, 2019 at 7:22 PM Post #4 of 10
I had the same issue; too busy talking audio to listen to it. It was great to hear the 2C for myself and finally figure out if they would be redundant in my collection (verdict: probably, but who cares they're awesome). Other highlights include time with the Utopia, TH900, NightHawks, Ananda, and HD58X. Lots of great headphones and conversations this year! Can't wait for the next one. Hopefully we can book more time though.

Aug 14, 2023 at 10:41 AM Post #5 of 10
@Allanmarcus @phthora @zachary80

... Hey, I know I'm VERY late to this party, but when is the next one?!? My name is Tom, and I've been in ABQ for 8 years, and doing my own thing with headphones for a little over 3 years... and I feel like I'm the only one here! I'm a member of a local Facebook group for vintage hi-fi, and there's one guy in there who helped me get started, but no matter how much I yell and scream about headphones it seems like nobody else really cares. After he let me listen to a few pairs of lower priced headphones (I don't even know what they were, I was THAT new) I knew that I had to jump in. I'm telling myself that I'm done buying headphones after moving up through a couple respectable low-priced headphones and landing with the ZMF Caldera. Now I want to explore tube amps, but with absolutely ZERO availability of gear to audition, I'm really struggling with a path forward.

Is the group that did this meetup still active, or at least loosely communicating on the side? I'm really interested in getting together with more locals that are into this crazy thing.

Last edited:
Aug 16, 2023 at 12:16 AM Post #6 of 10
We met for a few years, then COVID hit and also I’m pretty much at my end game gear, so my desire to organize a meet has diminished. I’d go if someone set one up, which isn’t all that much work, but it does take some organizational skills. If you are interested, let me know and I can walk you thought it.

I will be at the November Phoenix meet since I have a big road trip planned at that time, and it just worked out. Phoenix isn’t that far from Albuquerque, you might consider a road trip, and if you have friends or family in Phoenix, you can turn it into a weekend.

Aug 16, 2023 at 10:19 AM Post #7 of 10
@Allanmarcus @phthora @zachary80

... Hey, I know I'm VERY late to this party, but when is the next one?!? My name is Tom, and I've been in ABQ for 8 years, and doing my own thing with headphones for a little over 3 years... and I feel like I'm the only one here! I'm a member of a local Facebook group for vintage hi-fi, and there's one guy in there who helped me get started, but no matter how much I yell and scream about headphones it seems like nobody else really cares. After he let me listen to a few pairs of lower priced headphones (I don't even know what they were, I was THAT new) I knew that I had to jump in. I'm telling myself that I'm done buying headphones after moving up through a couple respectable low-priced headphones and landing with the ZMF Caldera. Now I want to explore tube amps, but with absolutely ZERO availability of gear to audition, I'm really struggling with a path forward.

Is the group that did this meetup still active, or at least loosely communicating on the side? I'm really interested in getting together with more locals that are into this crazy thing.

I'm still active in the hobby, though I'm spending less time on Head-Fi. I'd be down for a big meet-up or something less extravagant, I just don't have the time to set something like that up these days. Happy to answer PMs too.

Aug 16, 2023 at 10:19 AM Post #8 of 10
We met for a few years, then COVID hit and also I’m pretty much at my end game gear, so my desire to organize a meet has diminished. I’d go if someone set one up, which isn’t all that much work, but it does take some organizational skills. If you are interested, let me know and I can walk you thought it.

I will be at the November Phoenix meet since I have a big road trip planned at that time, and it just worked out. Phoenix isn’t that far from Albuquerque, you might consider a road trip, and if you have friends or family in Phoenix, you can turn it into a weekend.
Thanks for the reply! COVID hit right when I was starting to get serious about headphones after about a year of constant learning online, so my timing was off by just a little bit. I think my first purchase was just a couple months before all hell broke loose.

I guess if I had to be the one to organize a meet I'd be OK with that, as long as someone else is interested in showing up. I'm really looking for opportunities to hear other things besides what I have, for 2 main reasons... OK, maybe 3...

1) There is no way to listen to gear in this town, and I'm sure you can relate and agree. I have to blindly order stuff with the 100% risk of not liking it, and I'm not really comfortable with that. Luckily, I've been happy with the few things I've bought that way, but I'm not interested in a long drawn-out upgrade path with time & money wasted on buying & selling things that I don't end up liking. I'm in it for the music, not a lifetime hobby of gear swapping, but I do love the gear and constantly learning about it while discussing and experiencing it with other people. My speaker system is based around gear I bought (smartly) 30+ years ago, that's just the way I like to do things - keep the end-game in sight and accessible, then make it happen. I think My Caldera's are my end-game, I don't feel the need for a "quiver" of headphones, I did my research and jumped on the product that I thought would meet my needs, and they do. I have a couple other low-priced headphones that I enjoy, and I'll keep them forever too, but they are probably now relegated to gaming and casual household/travel use.

2) I'm happy with my current headphone & SS amp with no desire to become a "gear collector"... but could it sound better? The more I read about what people experience via tubes, I'm REALLY curious to hear it for myself, and I can't believe I've gone so long without ever experiencing it. I can see more than one path forward with tubes since I also listen to a decent 2-channel speaker setup, so the options are a little overwhelming and potentially expensive.

3) It would be cool to actually meet and know some real people (rather than just screennames) that can share knowledge and experience. I see in your sig that you have the Mainline, an amp I'm very interested in, and DIY, which I'm also very interested in... so yeah, having some real people nearby to bounce ideas off and get guidance from would be great. I don't have any experience with electronics, but I think I have the aptitude and skills to be proficient enough to learn and get good at it, and it's a goal that I set for myself a few years ago but never made good on it. I'm also very interested in making my own cables, peeking at your site has me even more motivated to dive into that too.

*EDIT* just saw your reply @phthora - thanks for the reply!

Last edited:
Oct 24, 2023 at 9:46 PM Post #10 of 10

Users who are viewing this thread

Back