Albums you absolutely have to rediscover when you get new headphones?
Jul 21, 2012 at 1:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 87

disastermouse

Headphoneus Supremus
Hey all,

What are some albums that are absolutely transformed when you get new (read: better or different) headphones?

Mine?

69 Love Songs (Magnetic Fields)  It just gets clearer and clearer.
Experimental Jet Set Trash and No Star (Sonic Youth) Going to Orthos makes this album feel like a night with the band.
Stunt Rock Vol. III  (Stunt Rock)  (this is a low quality recording to begin with, but it's better with HE-500) Ortho separation mostly.

I put this in Headphones because it's less about the music than the way it is transformed by the quality of the headphones.

Jul 21, 2012 at 1:58 PM Post #2 of 87
You'll hate the answer, but every album. Really though, Radiohead is always phenomenal with each new addition.

Jul 21, 2012 at 3:38 PM Post #3 of 87
Quote:
You'll hate the answer, but every album. Really though, Radiohead is always phenomenal with each new addition.

Wow, you're right.

I really hate that answer, LOL!  I WISH I was into Radiohead.  I can discern the brilliance, but I can't get excited about it.  It's the way my friend would talk about Aphex Twin:  "That's brilliant; turn it off."

Jul 21, 2012 at 3:56 PM Post #4 of 87
Dark Side of the Moon by Pink Floyd and the 1991 release of Nevermind by Nirvana (new remasters have suffered the effects of the Loudness War). Both albums feature a lot of bass, a lot of highs, and a fair amount of middle frequencies. Dark Side of the Moon contains a lot of  background sound effects that can be hard to hear without a decent sound system or pair of headphones.

Jul 21, 2012 at 3:58 PM Post #5 of 87
Quote:
Wow, you're right.

I really hate that answer, LOL!  I WISH I was into Radiohead.  I can discern the brilliance, but I can't get excited about it.  It's the way my friend would talk about Aphex Twin:  "That's brilliant; turn it off."

LOL I can understand that: AKA most classical music.

I am also surprised this thread has gotten ignored. 
blink.gif

Jul 21, 2012 at 4:22 PM Post #6 of 87
Quote:
LOL I can understand that: AKA most classical music.

I am also surprised this thread has gotten ignored. 
blink.gif

Most classical music makes me itchy inside the way that most metal does (not counting Godflesh).  I just know that if I approached Radiohead with enough patience, I would be rewarded.  I have to keep reminding myself that the only reason that I gave Sonic Youth a chance at all is that I blew two weeks worth of discretionary income on that EVOL cassette.  Part of what has cheapened music is that it's all flash and bang now because we're all about flash and bang now.

Jul 21, 2012 at 4:45 PM Post #7 of 87
Quote:
Most classical music makes me itchy inside the way that most metal does (not counting Godflesh).  I just know that if I approached Radiohead with enough patience, I would be rewarded.  I have to keep reminding myself that the only reason that I gave Sonic Youth a chance at all is that I blew two weeks worth of discretionary income on that EVOL cassette.  Part of what has cheapened music is that it's all flash and bang now because we're all about flash and bang now.

Hence the loudness war. 
mad.gif

Jul 21, 2012 at 4:55 PM Post #8 of 87
Quote:

I disagree with the spending more time with Radiohead. Sonic Youth actually released good records! I mean Sister and Daydream Nation are better than most rock records released in the past 25 years. Sorry to any Radiohead fans out there. Plenty more people dislike Sonic Youth anyway.

Jul 21, 2012 at 5:00 PM Post #9 of 87
Just bought some new audio equipment, so order 3 remastered Pink Floyd CDs.

Jul 21, 2012 at 5:04 PM Post #10 of 87
Quote:

I disagree with the spending more time with Radiohead. Sonic Youth actually released good records! I mean Sister and Daydream Nation are better than most rock records released in the past 25 years. Sorry to any Radiohead fans out there. Plenty more people dislike Sonic Youth anyway.

Daydream Nation is timeless, I agree with you there.  I prefer EVOL to Sister, although I know that's a minority view, as is the feeling that Experimental Jet Set Trash and No Star was the best SY album.  

Radiohead always strikes me the way Bjork does - VERY interesting musically, but grating and irritating to actually listen to.  I can understand WHY people like it so I won't trash it, but I feel like I'm missing a special organ or something that would allow me to appreciate it.

Jul 21, 2012 at 5:09 PM Post #11 of 87
Quote:
Daydream Nation is timeless, I agree with you there.  I prefer EVOL to Sister, although I know that's a minority view, as is the feeling that Experimental Jet Set Trash and No Star was the best SY album.  

Radiohead always strikes me the way Bjork does - VERY interesting musically, but grating and irritating to actually listen to.  I can understand WHY people like it so I won't trash it, but I feel like I'm missing a special organ or something that would allow me to appreciate it.

I love all of Sonic Youth's albums. Have you heard Thurston Moore's solo albums? Demolished Thoughts from 2011 is great!

Jul 21, 2012 at 5:10 PM Post #12 of 87
EVOL is awesome too. 

My Radiohead trashing was in good fun. They just don't do anything for me. I feel the same way about Bjork too.

I've heard Psychic Hearts by Moore from 1995. I have the vinyl somewhere. Don't remember if I enjoyed it though.

Jul 21, 2012 at 5:20 PM Post #13 of 87
Quote:
EVOL is awesome too. 

My Radiohead trashing was in good fun. They just don't do anything for me. I feel the same way about Bjork too.

I've heard Psychic Hearts by Moore from 1995. I have the vinyl somewhere. Don't remember if I enjoyed it though.

Glad it was fun for you. Now I'm actually rethinking my choice. Ya know what, Radiohead is "ok", but Modest Mouse, yea, they're awesome! 
blink.gif

I think will all the SY love, I'll go ahead and give them a closer listen.

Jul 21, 2012 at 5:20 PM Post #14 of 87
Quote:

I love all of Sonic Youth's albums. Have you heard Thurston Moore's solo albums? Demolished Thoughts from 2011 is great!

You liked 'Confusion is Sex'??  I've never heard the Whitey Album.  I hated Washing Machine and A Thousand Leaves - at least at the time.  I should re-review them, I was in a different place back when they came out.

I heard Psychic Hearts and Trees Outside the Academy - I can't remember what I thought of them.

Jul 21, 2012 at 5:29 PM Post #15 of 87
Quote:
Glad it was fun for you. Now I'm actually rethinking my choice. Ya know what, Radiohead is "ok", but Modest Mouse, yea, they're awesome! 
blink.gif

I think will all the SY love, I'll go ahead and give them a closer listen.

Haha! You just had to poke me with Modest Mouse! I stopped giving them a chance after the second or third record. I actually sold one of those records for over $100 so I know people for some reason love them. 

I like Confusion is Sex and A Thousand Leaves by Sonic Youth. People question my taste in music daily.
tongue_smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back