Albums with really bad sound quality.
Oct 2, 2002 at 2:40 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

Matthew-Spaltro

1000+ M-m-er:Larthenon Marthenon.
Has anyone ever bought a cd only to learn that the sound quality was so bad that it pains you to listen to it through headphones? One of mine would be Rainbow Rising by guitar got Ritchie Blackmore. A very tinny sounding CD. The drums seemed like they were recorded down the hall instead of in the studio.

Oct 2, 2002 at 2:53 AM Post #2 of 28
There's TONS!

Most albums from the 60's and 70's for one. I don't understand why the "Time Out" album by Dave Brubeck sounds fantastic but other albums afterwards sound like **** (ie. the beatles).

Oasis: "What's the story morning glory" and "be here now"
Come to mind. There's so many more, including Clapton's Layla (electric studio) which sounds atrocious.

Oct 2, 2002 at 4:03 AM Post #6 of 28
Here's a post on HA, which links to a very interesting article on Rush's Vapor Trails CD.

Zin

doh forgot the link
biggrin.gif

http://www.audio-illumination.org/fo...4204680b740490

Oct 2, 2002 at 4:17 AM Post #7 of 28
Quote:

Originally posted by Zin_Ramu
Here's a post on HA, which links to a very interesting article on Rush's Vapor Trails CD.

Zin

doh forgot the link
biggrin.gif

http://www.audio-illumination.org/fo...=20&t=3692&hl=

Thanks for the link! Unfortunately most rock, pop and metal bands believe in "the louder the better" for some odd reason. Kinda sucks when you have to listen to a freakin' jazz cd to enjoy a good pair of cans.

Oct 2, 2002 at 4:50 AM Post #8 of 28
Rush - Vapour Trails
Red Hot Chilli Peppers - Californication
Styx - Pieces of Eight (desparately needs to be remastered)

...many others.

Oct 2, 2002 at 7:07 AM Post #9 of 28
I can relate to that.
Judas Priest Prisoners of Pain is that way.

Ramones All The Stuff sounds like the band is in one room and the microphone in another. I think it's supposed to sound that way though.

Oct 2, 2002 at 8:49 AM Post #10 of 28
loveboat by erasure and incoming by blue october are the worst albums i have heard in terms of recording quality. when loveboat came out a lot of erasure fans started saying the recording quality sucked, and some bose, B&O, and car stereo people started saying that the albums sounded great on their equipment and everyone else must have crappy equipment. heh.

Oct 2, 2002 at 10:17 PM Post #11 of 28
Jimmy Hendrix - Band of Gypsies (live - awfully recorded)

Oct 2, 2002 at 10:36 PM Post #12 of 28
Yeah, that's true, ArChaos. That's -- for some reason -- the only Jimi disc I own and it's hard to hear everything that's going on.

RATM's Renegades is more in the vein of Vapor Trails -- highly compressed, lots of clipping, though it's only on specific tracks.

Other than that I really don't have any complaints about any of the discs in my collection. ...

kerelybonto

Oct 3, 2002 at 4:19 AM Post #14 of 28
Quote:

Originally posted by Zin_Ramu

http://www.audio-illumination.org/fo...=20&t=3692&hl=

thanks for the article, Zin_Ramu. it was a very informative read and i think everyone on this board should read it.

i recently checked out elvis costello's when i was cruel from my local library and i was stunned at how bad it sounded. the kick drum and bass clipped constantly (much like the description of the vapour trails CD). any loud transient resulted in distortion, particularly on the vocals.
even if i would have enjoyed the music, the recording was so bad that i just had to turn it off. if "louder is better" is the future of audio production we're in a lot of trouble.

Oct 3, 2002 at 5:57 PM Post #15 of 28
Said it before, but Clive Nolan and Oliver Wakeman "The Jabberwocky" has to be THE worst recorded cd it has ever been my misfortune to hear! (Note the music itself is brilliant)

Explosive "p"'s lots of weird whistles and crap going on in the back ground of some of the quieter moments, this is the worst produced album on the verglas label. The follow up "hound of the baskervilles" is far far superior in every respect.

Cheers...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back