Alas! an increase in budget. [Recommendations]
Nov 9, 2012 at 12:33 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Jayvee

New Head-Fier
Originally I've come to seek guidance on my first pair of entry level audiophile headphones. I've yet to make a purchase, but with the budget I've set for myself I've decided I was going to buy the Shure Srh 840's with a portable amplifier, and then later on purchase something with a bit more bass to it such as the XB700's or Q40s just for funsies.

However, my budget has now opened up a little bit to allow for a little bit of more leniency in my choices. Problem being my listening is split probably 50% between a variety of Rock music (anywhere from acoustic indie, classic rock, hard rock) and genres such as Dubstep and DnB. I prefer a slightly bass favoring sound signature, but I really don't want muddy mids either. I also tend to highly prefer detatchable cords, I've been known to ruin them with chair wheels in the past. I'm also not looking to buy used cans.

I suppose my question is: Should I stick with the original plan of buying the SRH840s, and later purchasing a Basshead headphone, or should I dump more money into one single higher end pair? I've considered the Ultrasone Pro 900s as my first option, followed by the Beyerdynamic dt880s

Not being able to test any of these out is really my problem. Any light shed would be helpful, budget sits around 250 - 300. The lower the better obviously.

Also, apologies ahead of time for the poor format in this post, not used to typing on a tiny phone screen.

Nov 9, 2012 at 12:56 AM Post #2 of 8
How about looking into the DT-770 Pro 80? It doesn't have a detachable cable, but it doesn't have to much bass that it ruins it's mids. You can find them for under $200 easily. You can then buy them a decent amp like the E11 if needed.

The SRH-840 is quite good, but kind of uncomfortable. It does have a mid-bass hump, so it's not exactly bass light. The Pro 80 is one of the most comfortable headphones ever made. One of the very few basshead headphones I liked.

There's also the HFI-580, 680 and 780. I've only tried the 680 and liked it, but found the M50 much better. I felt the 680 had better bass though. M50 was more comfortable.

There's also the DT-990 Pro, but I found it much worse than the Pro 80 due to some distant sounding mids.

DT-880 is better than both of them, but not that bassy at all. It's hard for me to suggest the DT-880 to anyone. I do like it though.

You can also find a used HD-580 for under $150. It sounds fairly good with even a portable amp. I don't really like the HD-600. It's overpriced now too at the ridiculous price of $399.

Nov 9, 2012 at 1:02 AM Post #3 of 8
Heya,

I'd get a headphone that is simply capable of everything and able to get bassy on a dime if needed, and when you add something like a FiioE11/CMOY, anything with a hard bass boost, you can make any headphone bassy actually. So take something warm but with good mids & treble, add one of those, and you have an "all in one" package that can do everything and even go dub-club if you need to.

Headphones:

Beyer DT770 PRO
Ultrasone PRO 750
AudioTechnica A900X
AKG K267
Denon D600 (used price)

Amps:

Fiio E11
JDS Labs CMOY

Very best,

Nov 9, 2012 at 10:48 AM Post #4 of 8
I could honestly probably swing the DT 880 250ohms with an amp as well. The only problem is I'm kind of scared about the non-detatchable cord. That's how my last two pairs of headphones went. I just couldn't make up for the bass end as easily with that price.

I suppose it's down to the DT 880s, 770s, or the srh840s at this point.

Nov 9, 2012 at 11:04 AM Post #5 of 8
Quote:
Heya,

I'd get a headphone that is simply capable of everything and able to get bassy on a dime if needed, and when you add something like a FiioE11/CMOY, anything with a hard bass boost, you can make any headphone bassy actually. So take something warm but with good mids & treble, add one of those, and you have an "all in one" package that can do everything and even go dub-club if you need to.

Headphones:

Beyer DT770 PRO
Ultrasone PRO 750
AudioTechnica A900X
AKG K267
Denon D600 (used price)

Amps:

Fiio E11
JDS Labs CMOY

Very best,

will this work with a Shure1840, I'm still undecided for my amp, I don't know how bass boosting amps will affect the mids

Nov 9, 2012 at 1:15 PM Post #8 of 8
Quote:

will this work with a Shure1840, I'm still undecided for my amp, I don't know how bass boosting amps will affect the mids

Heya,

If your'e referring to an amp or other feature to increase bass, then sure you can do that with any headphone. The SRH1840 may or may not do well with a bass boost though. You are changing how the driver moves, which means it will likely affect the rest of the sound at least a little bit. How much is the question. But then again, if you're trying to boost bass on the SRH1840, you probably should just start looking at a new headphone that already is warm.

Very best,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back