ALAC skipping on 3G 4GB Nano?
Jul 25, 2008 at 2:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

yeahx

500+ Head-Fier
I have listened to ALAC on it before without problems but now it seems to have loading issues at the start of some songs every few songs. I was just thinking it would be nice to try to start listening to it on the go, but maybe not? Is there a reason these ones are doing it and not the others?

Jul 25, 2008 at 2:27 PM Post #2 of 10
You're probably overrunning the buffer. The lossless files are too big to fit into the RAM of the player, so it is forced to stop for an instant and refill the buffer. Try using AAC 256 instead of lossless. It will sound the same and perform much better on the iPod.

See ya
Steve

Jul 25, 2008 at 3:03 PM Post #3 of 10
Ok, I had an idea before I posted but didnt check it out. I guess the other stuff I listened to had shorter tracks so there was less loading.

Woah that was a quick reply! Thanks!
smily_headphones1.gif
Im gonna encode them with LAME @ V2

Jul 25, 2008 at 3:45 PM Post #4 of 10
One other thing besides buffering problems; what program did you use to encode those ALAC files? I fixed skipping on my iPod by encoding using iTunes, whereas dBpoweramp encoded ALACs skipped and paused on my iPod.
smily_headphones1.gif
With iTunes encoded files there shouldn't be any skipping even with long files.

But x2 on using a lossy format like bigshot suggested; I don't keep lossless on my iPod anymore either.

Jul 25, 2008 at 4:39 PM Post #5 of 10
No point to lossless on a portable. When you're prowling the streets or cooling your heels on the bus, are you really listening critically? I doubt it, and if you are, you better rethink things before you get hit by a car. =p

Jul 25, 2008 at 4:43 PM Post #6 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Oya? /img/forum/go_quote.gif
One other thing besides buffering problems; what program did you use to encode those ALAC files? I fixed skipping on my iPod by encoding using iTunes, whereas dBpoweramp encoded ALACs skipped and paused on my iPod.
smily_headphones1.gif
With iTunes encoded files there shouldn't be any skipping even with long files.

Yep, same here. dbpoweramp ALAC encoding = skipping..iTunes does not. I have a 2G 8 Gig Nano and I never have skipping on ALAC tracks (even ones that are in the 300 meg range (live concerts). However, if one is using music for merely on the go...lossy is better and preserves battery life too. AAC is gonna work very very well, sounds better than mp3 apparently at equal bitrates and again, will work flawlessly with your iPod.

Jul 25, 2008 at 4:51 PM Post #7 of 10
I used Max on OS X, I wonder if I could convert ALAC to ALAC. The ones that didnt skip were done with itunes actually. My work is noisey, I just wanted to give it a go and didnt have time to encode. So maybe this thread could help someone, because it may not seem like it but I did search.

Jul 25, 2008 at 4:56 PM Post #8 of 10
Did you have error correction on in iTunes when you ripped? If not this could cause the skipping.

When I rip...I have no other cpu demanding process running and I rip/encode with as much error correction as the software will offer.

When on my Mac, I use Max. When on any other system I use EAC/FLAC.

Jul 26, 2008 at 8:42 AM Post #10 of 10
its not in the file because when I hit back it wont repeat again, only when it changes to the next track, and its very fast, more like a needle jumping a little on a record than a cd skip. I recently got a bigger hard drive so I started re ripping my collection and my dvd drive stopped working so now I am tracking down stuff online in either FLAC or the highest mp3s to replace the lower bitrate ones I have. So I dled this in flac and used Max to convert to ALAC. Im going to have to try converting all the ALACs I recently converted using itunes to fix it. Im mainly doing this for home use and just in case I ever get super amazing headphones. I like my HD555s a lot but I dont know if they benefit from lossless. I like having the option now that I have lots of room.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back