AKG240
Jan 6, 2013 at 4:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

freebird48081

New Head-Fier
Just found my 35 year old AKG240 headphones. Soldered on a new jack and they sound pretty nice.
Would it be worth my time to shop for new phones (under $100). Could I expect better performance?
Any opinions welcome. Thanks

Jan 6, 2013 at 4:40 PM Post #2 of 5
I also have a 30+ year old set of AKG 240 studio monitors.  Paired up to my asgard, they sound great.  You will not improve for under $100 in my opinion

Jan 6, 2013 at 4:57 PM Post #3 of 5
Quote:
I also have a 30+ year old set of AKG 240 studio monitors.  Paired up to my asgard, they sound great.  You will not improve for under $100 in my opinion

Agreed. 
My K240, K241 and K141 (with K240 sextett driver) all sound better than anything under $100. Feed them with a half decent amp and they'll compete with headphones up to $200-250.

Jan 6, 2013 at 6:09 PM Post #5 of 5
Make sure that the inner ear side discs, which are separate and not attached to the pads, are in ok shape. They are a fabric covered thin foam layer that deteriorates over the years and gunks up over/in the driver. This affects the sound after the foam integrity condenses and crumbles into uneven harder areas.
You may have to pull them out and check that nothing has fallen into the driver area. I simply removed the foam from the fabric with a vacuum cleaner then replaced the fabric itself on some K240M.

You can get exact replacements cheaply for them from places that sell AKG pads. I know Thomann.de carries them, never bothered to look locally . These are most likely for newer ones but it should be sonically no different.
http://www.thomann.de/gb/akg_schaumnetzscheibe.htm
Good find!

Post up some pictures when you can after a few more posts the site here will let you do that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back