AKG - Quincy Jones Signature Series Q701 vs. Grado 325i
Nov 28, 2011 at 8:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 32

I3eyond

500+ Head-Fier
Have:

Sennheiser HD650, powered by Matrix M-Stage, Musical Fidelity V-DAC, computer as source, all Audioquest interconnects.

Between these two headphones, which should I get?  I'm all ears for suggestions.  Just looking to explore some new sounds.  I used to have a pair of MS-1s but my biggest gripe with them was their lack of bass.

What do you guys think?

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/AKG+-+Quincy+Jones+Signature+Series+Q701+Headphones/2244032.p?id=1218315992699&skuId=2244032&st=akg%20q701&cp=1&lp=1

vs. 

Grado SR-325i

I really want a set of ATH-M50s as a set of 'basshead' cans, but I feel that's irrelevant to this thread.  Though, maybe that could sway my opinion as to which new cans to get....

Nov 28, 2011 at 8:07 PM Post #3 of 32
I used bowl pads and comfies.  Preferred the bowl pads at the time. 

Nov 28, 2011 at 8:16 PM Post #4 of 32
I had all 3 pads for a pair of 325i and liked each for different genres. The flats allow more bass out of the 3.

I assume that you've never heard the 701 but like what you've read. Since you've already tasted Grado, I will recommend the AKG.Some love em', some hate em'.  I'm somewhere in the middle.

....and what, no love for Beyerdynamic?            
beyersmile.png

Nov 28, 2011 at 8:19 PM Post #5 of 32
The M-Stage and the AKG are natural friends - and it would be a great complement to your Sennheisers. 

Nov 28, 2011 at 8:25 PM Post #6 of 32

3 x completely different headphones, you'd have to try really hard to find 3 more strange headphones in
 the one place :)

Depends what you want.

Nov 28, 2011 at 9:32 PM Post #10 of 32
Have both.  The Q might be a bit more neutral as in frequency response.  That's fine but it's not bumpy in the mid-bass which makes it less "fun".  The 325is are brighter up top, not too much for me, but with a much more pleasing mid-range.  The Q is a little plastiky in the mids, not quite real.  The Grados have that mid-bass hump which I don't mind at all. I've instantly switched back and forth and I'll take the Grados every time.  I really wanted to like the Q701 (I do) and as long as you don't do instant comparos, you'll be O.K..  Please spare me that the best headphones have to be "neutral".  It ain't so, but, YMMV.

Nov 28, 2011 at 10:28 PM Post #11 of 32
If you do get Q701s, please don't pay $399 on that best buy link! 
eek.gif
  (hint: amazon)

Nov 29, 2011 at 10:49 PM Post #12 of 32
Between the Grado and AKG sound, which is closer to the Martin Logan's with the folded tweeter design?

And, perhaps the biggest question:  Which between the AKGs and Grados is the most opposite from my HD650 in sound, and how?

Nov 29, 2011 at 11:00 PM Post #13 of 32

Quote:
Have both.  The Q might be a bit more neutral as in frequency response.  That's fine but it's not bumpy in the mid-bass which makes it less "fun".  The 325is are brighter up top, not too much for me, but with a much more pleasing mid-range.  The Q is a little plastiky in the mids, not quite real.  The Grados have that mid-bass hump which I don't mind at all. I've instantly switched back and forth and I'll take the Grados every time.  I really wanted to like the Q701 (I do) and as long as you don't do instant comparos, you'll be O.K..  Please spare me that the best headphones have to be "neutral".  It ain't so, but, YMMV.

What about the sub bass?

Nov 30, 2011 at 6:48 AM Post #14 of 32

Quote:
Between the Grado and AKG sound, which is closer to the Martin Logan's with the folded tweeter design?

And, perhaps the biggest question:  Which between the AKGs and Grados is the most opposite from my HD650 in sound, and how?

The speaker comparison might be a stretch 
biggrin.gif

But as for your second question, easy, Grado

Grados are much more forward, lively across the upper mid range and treble, solid mid bass hump that kicks along kick drums, unforgiving
with poor material while the HD650 is benign and kind in that respect to your ears ~ driver speed ~ there is a sensation that Grado drivers
feel very fast indeed, this has been proven on some of Purrin's graphs which shows very fast note attack and decay rates of an RS1 versus
a HD650 and Denon D2000. HD650 came second, D2000 lagged behind, RS1 was quickest to draw.

Soundstage is very deep but not very wide, detail is equal if not superior in my opinion to the HD650 due to the inherent Grado bright signature.

Nov 30, 2011 at 10:28 AM Post #15 of 32

Quote:
What about the sub bass?

Not a lot on either one.  So far, the two sub-bass phones I bought, D7000 and LCD-2 rev.1, had too many other problems.  Sub-bass (below 32Hz) is fun but it sure isn't everything.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back