AKG Q701: What's this part called? (Repair)
Dec 23, 2019 at 10:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Amywalker730

New Head-Fier
Hello, a few years ago this forum recommended a pair of AKG Q701 headphones. They have been great, but over those years they have seen a bit of structural damage. The problem is that I don't know much at all about headphones. I don't even know the name of the part that needs to be fixed so I can research into how to fix it.

I was wondering if someone could help me out a bit.

IMG-1442.jpg

There are two pieces that are broken. The first is a little piece of plastic that attaches the headband to the hose. There is also a strip of plastic that connects the leather headband to this piece that is likewise broken. It rests ontop of the other broken piece. Both sides of the headphones have this second piece broken.

IMG-1444.jpg

Dec 23, 2019 at 1:13 PM Post #2 of 6
Did you email AKG the pictures? Because headphones are not as standard in terms of parts count hence what each part is called. Technically in many other headphones that would be the gimbals, but that also implies they move and swivel while holding the weight of the earcups, which those parts don't do. They might just be headband clips to AKG (and for others with similar parts, like some Audio Technicas).

Also your earpads need replacement, but when you put them on, put them the right way on - thick part towards the rear. I've noticed too many Q701s oriented that way but they're all supposed to go with the thick part to the rear like the K701 and K702. If anything either the workers on the Q701 line aren't getting monitored or they effed up the manufacturing of the pads, and probably why the K7XX and K712 got symmetrical pads. You can just get those to make everything simpler.

Dec 23, 2019 at 2:04 PM Post #3 of 6
Looks like you've broken the clear sliding part of the primary inner headband on both ends. That headband (the leather one) comes with two straps on each end. The outer strap is the silver one, while the inner strap is clear plastic with a slot in the middle. An elastic band is sandwiched between these straps, giving spring to the up and down movement of the self-adjusting band. Clamps are used on the end that clamps the elastic band on each end.

You can order the outside strap (silver part) separately, I believe, but I think you'll need the entire band to get the inner strap (clear plastic with slot). The clamps are separate, but come in two pieces.

This will make it clearer: AKG K601/701 Parts Diagram

I can't remember where I got that diagram, but saved it for future reference.

Last edited:
Dec 23, 2019 at 6:57 PM Post #4 of 6
By the way, ProtégéManiac is exactly correct about the headphone pads. I believe we've lost something about the K701 with the many Massdrop versions when they dropped the original pad design. The asymmetric pads may be one of the things that gave the K701/Q701 its sterling soundstage. Best to keep them oriented correctly - as ProtegeManiac stated: thick part goes in back, not on top, not on bottom, not in front.

P.S. I have a very low serial number, original Austrian-made K701. I will never get rid of it.

Aug 18, 2022 at 2:25 PM Post #5 of 6
By the way, ProtégéManiac is exactly correct about the headphone pads. I believe we've lost something about the K701 with the many Massdrop versions when they dropped the original pad design. The asymmetric pads may be one of the things that gave the K701/Q701 its sterling soundstage. Best to keep them oriented correctly - as ProtegeManiac stated: thick part goes in back, not on top, not on bottom, not in front.

P.S. I have a very low serial number, original Austrian-made K701. I will never get rid of it.

I love AKGs and I just stumbled across a pair of barely used Austrian made Q701s at a yard sale on Sunday for $10! I have never been so happy that my girlfriend made me stop to look at a yard sale in my life. Mine will be joining my Austrian made K702s and won't be going anywhere for the foreseeable future.

Edit: Forgot this was a 3 year old thread on a search lol! My bad!

Aug 18, 2022 at 2:49 PM Post #6 of 6
I love AKGs and I just stumbled across a pair of barely used Austrian made Q701s at a yard sale on Sunday for $10! I have never been so happy that my girlfriend made me stop to look at a yard sale in my life. Mine will be joining my Austrian made K702s and won't be going anywhere for the foreseeable future.

Edit: Forgot this was a 3 year old thread on a search lol! My bad!

That’s okay. It is a $10 Q701 purchase, after all. :wink: You can also post about your fantastic purchase here:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/q701-impressions-thread.582276/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back