AKG Q701 vs Beyerdynamic DT880
Jan 5, 2017 at 6:03 PM Post #61 of 66
Hmmm...to a casual observer that likes AKG and Beyer, it seems like you both have a 'slight' leaning toward your preferred cans -- to be expected.

Anyway, FWIW, my Q701's (made in China) have no quality issues and I'd rank them as one of my top headphones on a price/performance basis. I think the quality concerns might be due to the K7XX issues (rattle).

Yes, I have a preference, as most people but I at least bothered to explain myself instead of saying go with akg, beyers are trash etc. I have seen many people prefer the dt880 that can write a proper comparison or at the very least a constructive explanation of why the dt880 is superior. Not saying the q701 is the best headphone for everybody. 

Personally never owned an austrian akg myself unless you include the k601 which is so old. Never had an issue with the QC in my experience but there could possibly be issues with some k7xx. My experience with beyers german QC on the dt1770 (which I very much like) has been mediocre. I have posted in the dt1770 thread 

Jan 5, 2017 at 7:34 PM Post #62 of 66
Hmmm...to a casual observer that likes AKG and Beyer, it seems like you both have a 'slight' leaning toward your preferred cans -- to be expected.

Anyway, FWIW, my Q701's (made in China) have no quality issues and I'd rank them as one of my top headphones on a price/performance basis. I think the quality concerns might be due to the K7XX issues (rattle).

I don't like the 701's I have heard them I don't like them... that is what i said.. and I expressed my own view that the DT880's are going to stand up better construction wise... however you will indeed go broke buying new earpads for them =p   .. I didn't get into a lot of detail..

but I think they sound thin and tinny... sorry...  y'all like them and good on you ..as well you should.

keep the duct tape handy =p

Jan 5, 2017 at 9:28 PM Post #63 of 66
[Mod comment]

Gents - can we please stop the personal attacks.  You'll note I've edited quite a few posts to get this back to what the site considers to be in-line with the rules.

If there is any more (akg fanboy / atarione) - you'll both be evicted from the thread.

Apr 24, 2017 at 11:25 AM Post #65 of 66
  Which one of the 2 would be best for music production?

Between atarione and akg fan boy? I don't know...
Just kiddin'
popcorn.gif

The proper answer is that both DT880 and K702 are good, and both have different pros and cons.
I prefer to speak for the K702 instead of Q701 which might be a tricky version.

DT880 has fast and extended treble, I think no one will deny DT880's treble is more extended/airier than K702's treble.
The bass is clearer on the K702 but there's something to note here, my previous K702 sn 102.xxx had less bass than my DT880 Pro, while my recent K702 sn 129.xxx has just a hint more bass than my DT880 Pro. Both K702 are bumpless version made in China.
Instrument separation and soundstage size go for the AKG so it's a more precise tool to pick up macrodetails in the mix.
In terms of tonal balance, the DT880 is pretty much like the HD800 so it offers a somehow less coloured presentation that's a little bit distant in the upper midrange. On the other hand the K702 has slightly raised upper midrange so it's more forward, slightly nasal by comparison, and tends to sound bigger.

To some degree, listening to music with DT880 is like being there at row 15, everything looks smaller and more cohesive but still very well balanced. With the K702 on the other hand, you're there at row 3 so everything is bigger and more spread. You can hear more in the mids and bass but with certain recordings the whole presentation can become to upfront, like when you're at a cinema too close to the big screen.

Both are excelent tools for the money, but it's not possible to say which one is best. They have different traits.

Apr 24, 2017 at 2:20 PM Post #66 of 66
  Between atarione and akg fan boy? I don't know...
Just kiddin'
popcorn.gif

The proper answer is that both DT880 and K702 are good, and both have different pros and cons.
I prefer to speak for the K702 instead of Q701 which might be a tricky version.

DT880 has fast and extended treble, I think no one will deny DT880's treble is more extended/airier than K702's treble.
The bass is clearer on the K702 but there's something to note here, my previous K702 sn 102.xxx had less bass than my DT880 Pro, while my recent K702 sn 129.xxx has just a hint more bass than my DT880 Pro. Both K702 are bumpless version made in China.
Instrument separation and soundstage size go for the AKG so it's a more precise tool to pick up macrodetails in the mix.
In terms of tonal balance, the DT880 is pretty much like the HD800 so it offers a somehow less coloured presentation that's a little bit distant in the upper midrange. On the other hand the K702 has slightly raised upper midrange so it's more forward, slightly nasal by comparison, and tends to sound bigger.

To some degree, listening to music with DT880 is like being there at row 15, everything looks smaller and more cohesive but still very well balanced. With the K702 on the other hand, you're there at row 3 so everything is bigger and more spread. You can hear more in the mids and bass but with certain recordings the whole presentation can become to upfront, like when you're at a cinema too close to the big screen.

Both are excelent tools for the money, but it's not possible to say which one is best. They have different traits.

I hear you. I guess why I'm asking is because I only really have super warm cans, and I found some Q701s for a pretty good price. So I was wondering if they would be better what I currently have for making music since I prefer warmer headphones for just listening.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back